1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon core2 duo sleeping

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kobalt, 4 Aug 2007.

1. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, i recently bought a Athlon core2 duo 939 and i guess i must've done something wrong cause from a 3000 to a 3800 duo, i barely see the diffrence in rendering time in Poser or any other CPU consuming tasks.
    I must've forgot something in the transition stuff i installed from AMD, when you switch from single core to duo.
    Installed :dual core optimizer and dual core recognition. I see it in the post at the beginning of the boot, everything looks ok but one of these cores still must be asleep lol

Anyone got an answer? :sigh:

Thanx:blah:

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Is this a joke thread?

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Check task manager; is there activity on both cores?

4. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I assume you mean Athlon 64 X2 and just got a bit confused with names?

The difference between the two is only about 200MHz in terms of clock speeds, not sure about the cache off hand. Chances are the apps you are running are single-threaded and only running on 1 core, so hardly gaining any benefit from the upgrade.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So which is it? An AMD Athlon 939 (x2?) or an Intel Core2 Duo? :eyebrow:

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Well first no, it isn't a joke thread
    Second sorry for the lack of info it's a AMD 939 duo
    Thanx severed head any idea what programs i might have forgotten to make the switch from single core to duo?

7. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

If a program is single-threaded it will run on only 1 core, whereas ulti-threaded apps can take advantage of both cores. As far as I'm aware, you are not going to get a single-threaded app running on both cores.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Wow, that many posts, and doesn't know the difference between Intel?

Have a look in the activity monitor.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Anyone else find it frustrating that Intel seem to have cashed in on people's ignorance here?

Just like 'A Hoover' is just one brand of vacuum cleaner, a 'Core 2 Duo' is just one brand (Intel) of Dual-core CPU.

You don't have a Duo. There's no 'duo' even vaguely associated with your system. It's a dual-core Athlon 64 X2, not an AMD 939 'duo'.

It may seem pedantic and bitchy, but it's frustrating as hell for everyone else when someone is inspecific (or simply confused & wrong) when looking for tech support.

To your original question, though:
    You won't see much (if any) benefit from having a dual-core CPU unless you're using programs that are sepcifically written/design to make use of it.
    I can't remember if Poser is multi-threaded (that is, written and optimised for multi-core cpus), but you could check the Poser website and you might be able to find out.

10. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

It is a little confusing if your primary interest isn't in the hardware itself, here is a brief rundown of some of the terms flying around CPUs at the moment.

Intels current processor architecture is called Core 2 (capitalised, an Intel brand), Core 2 solo has a single core ( uncapitalised, a processing unit) while Core 2 Duo has 2 cores.

AMDs current architecture is called Athlon 64, they have single core processors called simply Athlon 64 and dual core processors called Athlon X2.

As has been suggested before you can check whether windows is recognising both cores by looking at the performance tab of the task manager, if there are two windows for CPU usage history then windows is recognising and using both. Most likely is that youre running a single threaded application in which case there is no advantage to having two cores, this is particularly likely if you are using an older version of poser. If you dont see the cpu usage go much above 50% while youre rendering then you have a single threaded application. The true performance advantage of having two cores comes when you are either running two demanding applications at the same time (eg rendering at the same time as playing a game) or when you are using a program that is designed to work with more than one thread.

One other thing you could try is playing around with the rendering settings, when I moved to dual core I discovered that truespace will run multithreaded if you have the rendering visualisation set to raycast rather than scanline, there could be something similar in poser.

Hope this helps

Moriquendi

11. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

LOL!

You can't help but laugh.

XD

12. GuitarBizarre

Hence my asking if it was a joke, I would've thought posting here since '03, that it was. Guess I was wrong.

13. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Yes, totally. I'm sorry to have confused all of you :rolleyes:

I've been out of computer stuff for a while and i should've known there's a ceremonial way to talk to you gurus if you dont want to get laughed at.
    Funny that somehow everyone knew right away what i was talking about and still most took the opp. to step on the less knowledgeable guy, that's what i call helpful :eyebrow:

Anyways thanks for your time i'll take my problem somewhere else,l dont bother.

14. GuitarBizarre

Actually I was serious. I had absolutely no idea what you meant because you were mixing terms, and I saw you've been here years and have a few hundred posts more than I do. So I put two and two together and came out with 5.

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Kobalt: I can certainly understand you being frustrated by the number of unhelpful replies, but I don't think you'll need to take your question elsewhere. If you read through the responses you've gotten, I think you'll find exactly the answer you were looking for mingled in with the derision.

Check in the system monitor to see if both cores are recognized (two CPU graphs). If there are, then you're likely only seeing a slight performance increase because the programs you're running are designed to only run on one CPU core, and each core of your new processor is about the same speed as your old one. You'll find a great deal of benefit to the new processor when you start doing heavy multitasking, however.
    If you only see one CPU graph, then only one core is being recognized. This could be because you need a BIOS update to use the processor, or because Windows didn't recognize the new one. In addition, I know some people have issues when they installed Windows on a single-core computer and then upgraded it to dual-core, with Windows not having the right components to handle the dual. A reinstall would fix that, though I suspect there's a patch or Windows update that will do the same thing without all the inconvenience.

16. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

If you carnt be arsed to write a legible question then dont expect a answer ( and yes people will moan lol)

All you need to do is go to task manager, you will prob see only one cpu active, then do to CP-system-device manager, then go to computer till you find the processor and change driver for multi processor, reboot and then ya got everything working like it should ;)

17. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I was genuinely trying to be helpful, sorry it it caused offense.

Moriquendi