1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon XP 1800+ Running@58C Way too hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by polamnus, 2 Apr 2002.

1. polamnus

polamnus What's a Dremel?

Hi there folks, here's a little problem that's been bugging me terribly. Over the past two weeks I've built three computers, two XP 1700+'s(one for work, one to sell) and one XP 1800+ for my own home computer. All three use Asus mobos. Now, Motherboard Monitor, Asusprobe, and the BIOS readings are all in agreement on all three comptuers. Also, all three computers are using Volcano 6Cu HSFs with Arctic Silver 3. The 1700's run exactly where I'd expect, actually somewhat lower than I'd first expected, averaging 38C at idle and 44C at full load. Pretty happy with those numbers.

Now the 1800 is the problem. It's running 52C idle and 58C at full load. Again, Volcano 6Cu, all Aluminum Skyhawk case, modded a blow hole into the top, three internal fans, one card cooler, Enermax PS with dual fans, rounded IDE cables, all cables run neatly together with spiral wrap. I've pretty much done all I can do to this thing, but it still runs notably hotter than anything I've seen posted here. I know there's a general dislike for the Volcano series of HSFs but I've never heard it explained why that is. Even so, this should be running cooler. I'd chalk it up to Asus reporting temps too high, but that's not consistant compared to the 1700's.

Nothing internal is overclocked, but there are two HDDs and three cards in this computer while the 1700's use integrated sound and video so no cards, and just a single HDD.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. The only thing left I can think to do is remove the HSF, clean it thoroughly along with the CPU, then re-apply the Arctic Silver.

Thanks Much,
    Pol

2. Trash Man

Trash Man What's a Dremel?

I have had it pointed out to me that Asus MB's report the CPU temp anywhere from 5-15c higher than what it is.

I have a XP2000+ with a Alpha 8045 and a YS-Tech 80mm fan (not the best 80mm I know another is on the way) and a 120mm blowhole above the cpu, and I get reported by MBM5 and the bios temps of 45c idle and 49c load. So I used a seperate themomitor and that was reading 34c idle and 39c load.

3. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Don't forget to check you have adequate case cooling! Unless airflow though the case is good, even the best HSF will be pretty insignificant! In this, I also mean that you need to check that the fans are set up correctly i.e. front intake, rear exhaust, and that all are working properly when the machine is on!

4. polamnus

Thanks for the advice, I don't think the Asus board is the problem, the other two XP 1700's are running on Asus boards and the temps reported seem to be accurate, I'd assume I'd see inflated temps on all three if that were the problem.

As for airflow, I've got one 80mm front intake, one upper exhaust blow-hole, and 80mm rear exhaust, the power supply has two, and there's another ducted fan assembly over the HSF to exhaust air out the back. It "feels" like the airflow is no problem, the exhaust fans are pumping our noticably warm air. All internal cabling is neat and bundled and shouldn't be a problem.

I wasn't worrying at all since XP processors have a max temp of 90C, but I read some annecdotal accounts of AMD XP's burning out over 60C, and when I compare this one to the other two comptuers(same cases!) I can't imagine why the temps are so much higher.

Thanks,
    Pol

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

which asus board is it?? and are all three systems the same board??

6. polamnus

The problematic board is an Asus A7V266. Yeah, I should have gotten the 266-E instead, I know...:sigh:

The other computers are running on an Asus A7N and an Asus A7A266. Just got done doing some internal case tinkering, I removed an internal fan that I thought wasn't doing anything. Sure enough I drop 2-3 degrees, still running hot. SETI@Home has been running for about 30mins now and I'm at 55C. Still seems too hot, but better than 58C.

Thanks again for any advice!
    Pol

7. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

i had that prob with my 1800 for ages (4 months) went thru about 4 sinks setteled for a wbk-38 (think thats the name ne ways) as i refuse to use ne Thermaltake stuff appart from ram cooling and unfortunately a blorb wich i cant replace atm :( but i used the dragon orb because it was rated well highenuf for my processor but it was running at 49 idle so i gave up and bought another sink

i dont know much about the volcanoe series from TT tho so can sum 1 fill me in pls

8. Trash Man

Trash Man What's a Dremel?

Like I said in my first post, the Asus is know for reading temps wrong I have a A7V266/E and it reads the temps about 8-10c higher than they are.