1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Athlon XP 2600+ OC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dazza007, 6 Jun 2009.

1. Dazza007

Dazza007 What's a Dremel?

Could somebody please help me overclock my pc?

Its fairly old now and I cant afford a new one so I'd like to oc it.

its an Athlon XP 2600+ but with a 3200+ cooler on it so I'm sure OCing it will be ok, the thing is I dont know how, I went into the BIOS and increased the Mhz from 12.5x166 to 12.5x186 and it wouldnt start, so I dropped it down to 176 and it still wouldnt start. My mobo is AsRock K7s41gx, it has jumpers on it (which I changed to get the system into the BIOS stage after it wouldnt boot) which can be selected by 200, 266 or 333Mhz. Now, above those there is a set of FID Jumpers (FID 0-4) which are used for Overclocking but I'm not sure if I just put jumpers on them and set the BIOS to auto (which will OC the CPU) or take the FSB Jumpers 'OFF' and place them on the FID jumpers, or take the jumpers off and try to adjust the bios manually etc etc etc, basically can anyone explain to me how i oc my pc using AsRock mobo?

Dazza007

2. tictactoe

tictactoe What's a Dremel?

According to the manual the FID jumpers are soley for changing the multiplier of the CPU. It looks like you need to keep the FSB jumpers on where they're supposed to be, and then if you want to change the multiplier of the CPU then you would need to add additional jumpers to the FID pins.

[​IMG]

So what speed memory do you have, is my next question?

And where are your jumpers currently placed?

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  3. Dazza007

Thanks for the quick reply.

The jumpers are set to FSB 333Mhz, and my memory is 2gb ddr400 however the board only runs at 333Mhz I think so thats all I'm getting. is the memory speed important?

4. tictactoe

You just wouldn't want to overstress your memory by trying to run it too fast...not a problem here, tho' you should be able to run with tighter latencies, see what CPU-Z tells you about it.

As far as taking the CPU higher, I don't think that youwill be able to...unless anyone else can help out here!

Generally the best way to OC these chips was to have a board that supported a FSB of 400MHz. That's what I did with an Abit NF7 and a Sempron 2400/2600 (can't remember which now)and it's been a solid OC for the past 3 years at least (just passed the rig onto my father-in-law).

So after all that you may be out of luck, and I don't know how far the FID jumpers can affect the CPU if it's locked at 12.5

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  5. Dazza007

help

Come on people help a guy out here!:wallbash:

6. tictactoe

Or, if I remember correctly, if you can find a mobile athlon chip (XP-M) these are unlocked and an overclockers dream in the day, but no idea where you might find one now.

Anyone shed any light on this one??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CPU-AMD-Mobile-Athlon-XP-M-2600+---AXMA2600FKT4C-rare_W0QQitemZ120363093778QQcmdZViewItem

and check this list out
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon%20XP-M.html

Sorry I can't be of more help. Did anyone here use any of the Barton core XP-M CPU's? I missed that particular boat!:sigh:

Last edited: 10 Jun 2009
  7. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

memory speed is important, because in the old athlon days the FSB speed was used for the memory and the CPU. Dont think there where many boards that "unlocked" one from the other.

They did start locking the multiplier on these chips towards the end of their life.

cant comment on the board that you are using, but i have an old soltek (cant remember model number) currently running a 2600+ barton core chip, currently used for surfing tinternet and the like. Runs XP fine even with only 512 meg of ram :)

With an FSB tweak from 333Mhz to 400Mhz it can run at 3200+ speeds. Although I've never really noticed much of a difference.

I would say 1: its not really worth it with hardware that old and 2: if you do tweak it, be prepared to end up havin gto buy a new system if you break it.

8. Dazza007

OK cheers Droitwich, I'm a bit gutted to be honest though.