1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling ATI 5870 Water Cooled High Temps 90c

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robyholmes, 5 Aug 2010.

1. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

There is a lot of room in the case for air, pipes do not cover everything and air can move around them. I would be very surprised if this is the issue. There is a good inch gap between the lower RAM fan and the pipes. Also RAM is pretty cool as its 1866Mhz and my CPU is running at stock.

I just switched it on this morning so its still pretty cool. The rads I don't think will be getting to hot, i understand you point about the cheaper/small radiators, but its just to keep costs down. I don't see at the moment the problem been with removing heat from the loop. The water temps are showing this. Currently the case temp is 27C (With the side off, side on its 28c) and water on all 4 points is around 28.4C (CPU OUT 28.6c, CPU IN 28.3c, GPU OUT 28.5c, GPU IN 28.3c)

I still see it as a problem getting heat in to the loop. I will now run both Furmarks and Prime and give you the readings again.

First Test - Prime 95 - 5 Mins (I know you should do it for more, but just a quick test for now)
    All Max Temps
    CPU Temps: 58 - 56 - 55 - 56
    SYSIN: 35
    Water Temps: 31.4 - 31.1 - 31.2 - 30.9
    Case Temps: 29.8

Second Test - Furmarks 1280*1024 - 5 Mins
    GPU Temp: 70 (Leveled out at 69-70)
    Water Temps: 34.4 - 34.4 - 34.1 - 34.1
    Case Temps: 31.5

Just checked the EK water block after test and it is pretty hot.

Here is a run down of the fans:
    1x Bottom - Blowing in to case
    3x Front - Blowing in to case/rad
    1x Rear - Blowing out of case
    3x Inside Top - Blowing in to rad
    3x Outside Top - Blowing out of case/rad

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I smell air entrapment. When you drain and refill the loop you do move the case around don't you?

Usually for me to get all the air out i have to do planed rotations to force the trapped air in the res., usually ends up on its roof before i am finished.

GPU blocks are a royal b*tches to get air out of at times, and dual water cooled cards like SLI or crossfire setups must be absolute arseh*les to bleed!

If the block is really hot to touch then its in good contact, and its flow related. Another reason not to use black tygon, you can't see where the water is at!

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

To me this sounds like there is air in the loop.

Leave the pc running for a good 8 hours or so so it can get rid of all the air (with the top off the res to let air get out).

Also rock the pc around a bit to make sure all the air comes out the rads.

4. robyholmes

Problem is the flow is so good its nearly hitting the top of the tank lid, so I can't leave the top off as it will spill out. I am pretty sure there isn't air in the system. I have been running now for 5/6 days, made sure no air was in the GPU block and sat the PC on its side to try get the air out.

I am currently trying to find my infra red temp sensor so I can check the temps of the blocks (Mainly GPU) to see how far they are away from the GPU Core temps its reporting. Problem is its been lost of a long time now.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Sounds like something is stopping the heat being transferred to the water. Could be air but it could be something nasty cloating the block, as this wouldn't stop flow but would reduce thermal transfer by a large amount. Only one way to be sure either way...

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Trapped air in the waterblock wouldn't affect flow of the water at all, it'll bypass it with ease.

if you tip the case on its side, then turn the pump on you'll hear air shoot from trapped area's.

7. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I've never had a problem with GPU waterblocks and air getting trapped. Given the nature of the block design, the water plows through the channels and should remove any air in the block first time around. When the block gets hot, it can only mean that the heat is being transferred to the water but the water isn't being moved away quick enough, so you end up with high temperatures. I still say one mcp 350 isn't enough, and I would consider either getting another and putting it in series, or getting a much higher flow rate pump like the D5.

8. robyholmes

I really don't think flow is the issue here, the water manages to pretty much hit the top of my tank? How can flow be a issue? I don't think its trapped air, as I have made sure to power on the system on its back and other ways to remove air. I still think its a issue with the GPU block. I have searched high and low today to try and find my lost temp sensor and can't find it. I have also had a few customers PC to see today meaning I couldn't empty the loop. I would have like the temp sensor before I empty the loop so I get a 'before and after' readings.

I will yet you know when I empty the loop and give you some of the readings. Thanks a lot