1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI Radeon 9600 Pro For $160 Should I Buy It

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NissanFrontier, 21 Aug 2003.

1. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

Circuit City is running a deal that you have to buy it for $200 but you get $40 in Mail-in Rebates is this a good deal? I have a Compaq that I got on Christmas '01 will this run on it? What all do you have to do to install a new graphics card? How much does it differ from installing a Modem(thats the only new hardware I have installed before, actually done it twice first one played out then about a week later the new one got hit by lightning):sigh:?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you can get one from www.newegg.com for less than $150 including shipping and the you dont have to mess around with all the rebates.

installing a graphics card is very similar to installing any other kind of internal card, take the old one out and pop teh new one in is really all there is to it

you would be advised to uninstall any graphics drivers before you take the old one out though to minimize problems installing the new drivers

3. NissanFrontier

yeah I know but can't buy off the internet cause my parents won't let me. How do you go about unistalling the old drivers?

4. Mister_Tad

if it is any consolation newegg is one of the highest rated online retailers. go to www.resellerratings.com and you can have a look for yourself. i have bought from newegg 6 or so times in the last 2 months totalling to over $2000 and everything was 100% perfect and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it at a store. free shipping (on most things) and it usually takes 2-3 days

BUT, if theres still no convincing them then $160 is a pretty good price for a 'normal' store, provided that you actually get that rebate. but even if you do get a rebate it will still be about $275 as you will have to pay tax as well

to uninstall old drivers you go into control panel > system > hardware > device manager, then click on display adapters and then uninstall. also i know for nvidia drivers you can uninstall them from add/remove programs in control panel. either way you wouldnt want to do that until just before you are going to put the new on in

5. NissanFrontier

Yeah I think I'm going to have to buy from a store. Taxes must be high where you live cause here it would be $209 and thats before the rebates is there something I'm not aware about that you have to pay for?

6. Mister_Tad

taxes where i am in florida (nearish naples) are 7.5% :(

7. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

ouch man, that's a blowah!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We live with 17.5% year in, year out. :( :grr: /me shows angry fist to govt.

9. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

newegg.com is fooking awesome :). I bought over 5 grand worth of pc parts frmo newegg.com and not one thing arrived late or damaged.

At first my parents where also scared ordering stuff online but once they saw the lower price, they changed there minds and let me buy something of newegg.

And now they tell me to order almost everything online :).

Oh and the 9600 is a good budget card, you could try the 9500np and try your luck with the softmod but its not guranteed to work.

Tags: