1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI Radeon 9800 Being Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matt_117, 19 Dec 2004.

1. Matt_117

Matt_117 What's a Dremel?

Just went price checking on the 9800's I had lined up, and pretty ALL of the XT's and Pro's are out of stock! Is there usually a Christmas rush for these, or are all being snapped up because they aren't in production anymore?

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

There is a shortage, as far as I know... :)

The 6600GT is plentiful though ;)

3. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

I thought they were keeping the 9800 going longer than they originally planned just lowering the price so as to compete in the lower end of the market. Can't remember where I read that, inq or something like that...

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I have heard rumours that ATI are no longer making the R360 core. But not sure how reliable that info is (Especially as Bigz thinks no).

By the way, is it "Big Zee" or "Big Zed" or just "Bigs"? :eyebrow:

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

So are ATI actually canning production? Or is this just a temporary glitch? A ~100 gbp 9800pro would be a steal!

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I really doubt it. It's pretty much their only mainstream-to-high-end priced card for AGP. I'd have to guess a holiday rush, but maybe not. For all we can be sure of it's that companies are just forgetting to make them while trying to boost production of the X8xx series.

7. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

its a killer card still today so id say they may phase it out and let such mundane thingsas the x800se take over, much like the 9700 phasing out when the 9800 was fairly new

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

R360's production should have been increasing to keep up with demand for NV43.

btw, it's bigs ;)

I highly doubt it at this moment in time, it would be commercial suicide to drop such an important card in their current lineup, certainly when you consider that they don't have a bridge chip and are unlikely to have products using it until March/April.

ATI/Sapphire make most of the cards between themselves, they ship the boards pretty much ready to sell to the board partners, who then may choose to redesign the cooling solution - it's why most board partner's implementation of a SKU looks the same as any other board partner's implementation. It's down to ATI/Sapphire, in simple terms.

X800 SE is a very expensive card to produce in the mainstream, it's an R420 core (16 fp 6 vp), but it has 2 fragment pipeline quads disabled. If they produced that SKU for the mainstream, they would end up disabling a lot of the cores by either hard or soft locking them via bios/laser etching - no doubt a mod would be found, and this would eat in to ATI's sales for their high-end SKU's, in much the same way that the X800 Pro VIVO did (despite not being able to get hold of X800 XT PE, I guess). The core's used for X800 SE are in limited supply, and are pretty much all have at least one damaged fragment pipeline quadrant.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Is it?? I always said Bigzee :p
    :blush:

Anyway, i heard ATI were going to stop making graphics cards and make baby cradles instead /rampant rumour :worried: :worried:

;)

11. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

Tags: