1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 13 Apr 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, you're gonna love the new ultrawidescreenomgsooooskinny screens. Going from widescreen to cinema aspect ratio... great stuff. :eyebrow:

2. knutjb

knutjb New Member

In the single card set up not really worth the cash. While I don't have the money to do a crossfire set up and know few who do here is an article that did with interesting results.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/12/ati_radeon_hd_5870_eyefinity_6_performance_review

I think display manufacturers need to take the hint and start building large screens at 5,670 x 2160. Sure they would be expensive but so are the cards and they are selling. If I could, I would rather have one screen than 6 with bezel lines. If they can make small 1920 x 1080 in 21in what prevents them from scaling it up?

Just a thought...

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Wonder how much it would cost to make. SuperHD will bring us closer to it.

4. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Not being able to use you old analogue screen out of the box is a bit of a pain. especially since lots of HDTVs have D-SUB rather than DVI.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/10/westinghouse-quad-hd-on-display/
    :naughty:

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Highlighted the reason for you. :thumb:

7. Xtrafresh

I must agree. This is a card made entirely for the high end, and VGA is just complete rubbish when it comes to delivering a reasonable amount of pixels. Get with the program, or buy a flippin converter.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For the guy who mentioned the FirePro Version. The FirePro V8800 has come out already, and it has quite a few outputs.

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

If you have a chair that can go up and down very far then this is the perfect e-reader!

10. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

One thought came: when benching a game that at Eyefinity resolutions is very slow (like crysis), i suggest adding just like one chart about it showing abysmal performance, and then trying to find settings that work comfortably, to show us readers as to what settings are actually needed to run it in a playable way(meaning >30fps). Maybe it's too similar to Hardocp, but I think it would be more valuable than looking at 20fps and less in the charts.
    Reminds me of your 5970 review, where you insisted on using just high settings while copy pasting the text from old reviews, "crysis is a beast blabla", while getting 70 or smth fps on the card. :)
    I guess what i'm trying to say is, in 'specialized' environments like eyefinity is, the more relevant information you can provide, the better the review. :)

11. Xtrafresh

I agree :D

I've done these tests for myself with the MSI 5870 Lightning at 3x 1920x1200, and with Crysis I found the best settings that still gave me 30+ FPS were medium settings with high shaders and textures. All AA was turned off, turning it on even to 2x would immedeately result in 1-3 FPS. Yikes.

12. DarrenH

DarrenH New Member

Am I right in thinking the ATI Radeon HD 5xxx problems are solved?

The 5870 is above my budget but I hope to put a 5770 (with the option to add another for Crossfire in the future) in my new build. But I have seen so many negative comments on many forums about the cards not working properly due to 64-bit driver problems.

This is a massive issue for me as I plan to go for an AMD/ATI system. Anyone got any positive experiences with these cards?

13. DarrenH

DarrenH New Member

ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Problems Solved?

Am I right in thinking that the ATI Radeon HD 5xxx cards work fine now?

The 5870 is above my budget but I hope to put a 5770 into my new build with the plan to crossfire another 5770 in the future. But I have read about so many problems with the 5xxx cards and 64-bit drivers in other forums.

Does anyone have any positive experiences with these cards. This is a massive issue for me as I have chosen to build an AMD/ATI system.

Tags: Add Tags