1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 15 Dec 2010.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There I was, thoroughly impressed by the 570 and 580; but still hanging on to see what AMD can pull out of the bag. Turns out, all they managed was a handful of meh.

Slightly unfair, I know. I think we've been spoiled by ATI for a couple of generations, so this feels like a bit of a let-down.

*wanders off to browse the 570s on Scan*

2. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

@Sloth.....Don't misunderstand me, I'm equally excited by the continuing improvements in crossfire/sli and look forward to efficiencies continuing and extending to 3,4 and beyond gpu setups......but as it stands now many many people will not entertain multigpu setups.

The problem with the 6000 series is that it does not offer a high end single gpu to that substantial group, I understand that 6970 is a progression and improvement from 5870 but it simply has not progressed enough when compared to the competition.

5870 could still be considered a high end gpu when compared to the competiton at the time the 480, even if slightly slower.

The problem with the 6970 is that when compared to the current competition it just doesn't in my opinion qualify as high end, but rather high mid range.

This is all I'm saying in real terms AMD has slipped backward in terms of single gpu performance when compared to the competition.

3. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

ATI had the last round, Nvidia get this one. Maybe that is not scientifically correct, but it is the way that it feels to me.

Long may it continue to go first one way and then the other. ATI's recent dominance has really spurred Nvidia to get in gear and has made the graphics card market really interesting recently. Long may it continue to be so!

With Sandybridge on the horizon, the new year looks to be a really exciting time for a new build.

Just to throw my tuppence in, AA performance is critical and dual GPU in any format is a big no no. For my money that puts Nvidia firmly on the high end throne for a while. Nice work.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

huangalingaling ding shamino

ah well the shrink should be interesting.. maybe a better idea to invest in water cooling and run the 460 at 1k

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Well the 5870 was the top-single-GPU card for AMD THEN. (and about equal to the 480 at it's launch...it's just that the 480's drivers have matured very well)

CF and SLI...the eternal promise. But when is this "then"?
    Scaling has been a problem for what, a decade or two? Since the first dual-core Voodoo?
    I'm sure they'll nail it down come springtime...sure :D

6. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Shame on TSMC and their cancelled 32nm! As this could have been a great GPU. AMD obviously had to cut off some parts of their new GPU to maintain larger than anticipated size. However future looks good for next AMD GPU - "complete" and optimized version of 6970 made on 28nm.

AMD and nVidia worked hard to give us new great GPUs this year. Now we just need game developers to stop using that sh*tty looking UE3 and make good use of new technologies. CryEngine based games would have been marvelous these days, if there were any. Unfortunately, f*ing consoles...

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

With scaling numbers of 180%, i think we can safely say that this then is now. There's always going to be a little bit of overhead, how much more do you want?

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

want it to be consistant, want it to be less driver dependent, and i want its schedulling to be done in hardware, not by driver on a non-realtime system.

but one can dream. to do it properly, it'd require huge R&D cost, with a major change in business model. Lucid Hydra is a great way forward, only problem is that it didn't get enough support from either company.

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

mmm Lucid Hydra on a gtx580 mmmmm

10. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Being an ATi fan I wanted to see ATi be better in every way! But this is underwhelming tbh, I am quite dissapointed with the speed!

I wanted to see the 6970 beat the 580 and then have the 6990 mince everything else.

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Looks like I will go for GTX 580, that if AMD won't release HD6990 asap!

12. sharpethunder

sharpethunder What's a Dremel?

At the moment i have 5870 the GTX 580 looks a much better buy but i will wait to see what HD6990 performs like

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

only worth upgrade if your 5870 is struggling. not a huge performance boost, not worth £200+ over.

i upgraded because 5870 1GBis having trouble with my 2560x1440 resolution.

14. sharpethunder

i run 2 Eizo Foris FX2431 24in they great but i need a bit graph card grunt

15. sharpethunder

16. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Has anyone tried overclocking one of the 6970s yet?

I hope they don't name it the 6990, that's a rubbish name! :p

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Look here.

18. gilvini

gilvini What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I want to buy a gaming machine for my 14y boy. he is for the i5 + 2x 6850. I've think of configuration with i7 + 5950. your review on the 5950 ends with sentence “As such, we wouldn't buy a Radeon HD 5970 card at the moment, even if we could afford itâ€￾. After seeing the 6970 result I wonder if you change your mind? after all 5950 has better than 6970 performance and 6990 is not available and I do not see any point to wait for after seeing the 6970 result.

what’s your recommendation?
    Gil

19. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know what the performance will be like of the HD 6990?

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I would guess it would be similar to crossfiring two 6950's. As that is what it will essentially be.