1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon X1900 family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 24 Jan 2006.

1. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Those are great prices, there are 7800gtx's that cost more than 1900 XT's now :D

I was hoping that this card would be 9800pro-esque however. Unlike Ati's 9800pro, no card that's come out in recent years has been able to smoothly play new games at MAX settings (by itself). I guess theres more jobs in the sowftware industry.

2. [sinz]

[sinz] What's a Dremel?

Thanks bigz, much appreciated.

3. Payne280

Payne280 What's a Dremel?

very nice review, the 1900 series performs very well but this is there latest generation of cards and nvidia doesn't even have the 7900 out yet

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I'm debating whether to go for the 1900xtx or waiting to see how the 7900's are. I get the feeling that the 7900 will pwn the 1900 though. But is it worth the wait?

How does the x1900xtx compare to the x1800xt, what's the average performance increase?

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Mmmmm, beefy :naughty:

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Very nice performance indeed. So we'll have to wait for G71 to make a final judgement, aren't we? At the moment, me as a nVidia fan boy, I would buy the X1900XTX. :eyebrow:
    But hey, it's like 1 or 2 months left 'till G71 comes out! :)
    I don't like the fact that nVidia and ATI will launch their future cards with about 2-4 months between each other as this will lead to the fact that 1 month nVidia beats the crap out of ATI and the reverse is true for the next month. Will cost many people a lot of money though.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Congratulations to ATI on the hard launch, XT's, XTX's and Crossfire editions are all available to buy today.

Shame they're all so expensive though, but I can dream. :)

8. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

aww no apples to apples, guess im off to anandtech to get the lowdown on these cards

9. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Well, duh. :p It would have to in order to convince people to buy it. :)
    Now that's something no one can tell you, with the exception of nVidia's marketing department.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2006
  10. nemesis80

nemesis80 What's a Dremel?

either way im happy that ati released an other card, they seems quite performant, hope the bugs will be fixeds in the next catalyst drivers, I wonder how it overlock? Anyhow, hope nvidia will bring a nice reply to this card

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i think im gonna wait til just before quake wars is released (end of feb ish) and get one then, i wanna be able to run that maxed out (or at least nearly maxed out) :D

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

So when are you going to ship me one to my door, bigz? ;)

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Do my eyes decieve me, ati releases somthing and its avaliable, to buy, now.

It looks like ati is back in the game for now.

edit: after taking a better look at the review, wow those are some insane resolutions you can get. I still want soft shadows on fear.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2006
  14. JoJo2201

JoJo2201 What's a Dremel?

WOW!!! look at what these have done for all video card prices, i went to new egg, i swear, all the cards are cheaper, all the X800GTO2's have fallen below the $200 mark, you can find a x800GTO for as low as $110, as with the 6800GS's, there getting relaly cheap, and the 7800GT's, there like in the $279 range!!!! I look foward to new cards only for the reason that they cause drastic proce drops in other cards.

SOme prices are more drastic then others, but they all have dropped, even if only by a few dollars.

Insanity!!!

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Let's see what the situation looks like in a week before we all sign our contragulatatory card.

16. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

It's always like this, one company puts out a new card everyone gets their panties wet, then maybe two or three months down the road the other company comes back with a better product.

Yes, ATi has released a great product but they also took a hit in sales last year versus nVidia. I wouldn't be too suprised to see nVidia retort with a hefty performer or even a dx10 card.

17. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Yes. I remember the 9800Pro. That was THE card back then, about 1.5-2 years ago. Right below the XT, everybody had a 9800Pro.

The rate at which new cards coming out is ridiculous. X1800's lifespan is shorter than a fruit fly, and I have a feeling that G71 will come out before nVidia even manages to achieve firm availability of the 7800GTX 512MB.

18. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Anyone know if dx10 will be release with SP3? And will SP3 be available before Vista arrives? (assuming Vista will come with dx10?)

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Jeez, I'm getting tired of this, I wish the graphics card market would slow the **** down.

Back in the 9800Pro days, that card was king(at least in money/value terms) for at least a year, now, new cards are out every few months, and its damn hard to have any idea of whats actually worth looking at.

7800GT's that were looking peachy around christmass, are suddenly looking inferior compared to alot of the newer things, and no doubt the X1800XT's and 7800GT's and GTX's are going to be plummeting in price once Nvidia react to the X1900's and bring out the 7900 ranges... :(

edit:Rupurt, SP3 is coming in 2007, I think DX10 is coming with Vista, but not sure.

edit 2: fixed

Last edited: 25 Jan 2006
  20. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm really not that impressed.

Great performance? Indeed, but I expected something much more astonishing. Kinda like what 7800GTX was compared to 6800 Ultra... This cards may be faster than anything else on the market, but don't scream "must have" to me like the 9800pro, 6800 Ultra or 7800GTX did.

And anyway, such high end products target a really small minority of users. For the cost conscious gamer, I have yet to see something that can match with a x800GTO2 or 7800GT... If ATI were to release some x1900whatever that can match the performance of a 7800GTX at a clearly lower price than a 7800GT, then I'll be fully interested in this *new* generation (yes, I'm kinda aware this is not a *new* generation per se, but a refinement of the r520 marchitechture, blah,blah,blah). Or perhaps, If the x1800XT were to drop in prices to the point of being rival to the 7800GT (or lower), that would make this new x1900 really worthwile, but I don't see that happening...

A pity... I had very high hopes on this cards. I'll guess I'll too wait for dx10 cards for my next update....

Tags: Add Tags