1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics ATI remote wonder plus modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifi3018, 1 Jun 2006.

1. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

So i got a remote from Stuey83 and its great. However, while reading the instructions, it says to keep the reciever away from the computer and monitor. Seeing as how it comes with a mole .5m cable, its rally easy to do..

So i though, USB extension... hmm maybe...

Extend the antenna? hmm maybe, but i dont know if that would mess up the circuit, since i dont know much about RF, i dont know if soldering a 2m antenna would be god or bad for it.

So i craxked it open to have a look see at it. It has a nice metal shielding which i assume is to eliminate interferance.
    [​IMG]

So, i would like some input on how to make this remote a bit better (reception wise) theres nothing wrong with it now, but next fall when i move into my apartment, the computer is going in the closet, so i will need some way of getting the antenna out (usb extension, antenna extension, other).
    So if you have a way to boost the signal, or something, lemme know.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does it already have an antenna on it? You could just use a USB extender instead.

3. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Yea, but usb extender = no modding, and $$ (not much though)

whilst i have plenty of wire laying around if i could just extend te antenna...

4. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Extending that antenna will probably screw it up pretty badly. The length of the antenna is important because the radio waves you're recieving ar of a certain length. In my previous experiences, playing with antennas has never worked for me, just extend that USB, mate.

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Thanks for the advice, i wasnt sure, but it makes perfect sense.

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, leave the antenna alone unless you really know what you are doing.

eBuyer sells USB extention cables really cheap, pretty decent quality ones at that.

7. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Extending the wire may or may mot mess things up. For the most part I bet it is not a matched piece of wire and since it is only one solder joint just unsolder it and try another piece. If it doesn't work so well then just put the other pice back on or cut it down a bit at a time until it does work.