1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ATI tops graphics market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 30 Jul 2010.

1. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I agree, ATi deserve to be at the top of the current generation of cards.

Not sure why they're called 'discrete' tho as they're the noisiest part of a non-watercooled PC!!!

2. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Perhaps some of this is because nvidia's 8-9000 series were just too successful? The majority of new games can still be run pretty well on one, obviating the need for at least some, probably the middle, of the market to upgrade. Enthusiasts will still upgrade, however, and ATi's cards currently offer the best performance; ATi will also snag people newly coming into the market as, again, their cards are the best.

3. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

That you're simply being anal.

Well I do agree that their 8000-9000 series is a successful one but I think it was part of the (I'm sick of) TWIMTBP campaign. How can it not be successful if they ensure that the game's dev putting a lot tricks and optimizations for their own cards into a lot of games? And they're acting like heroes just because they pour some x millions into a game dev, while AMD's just keep quiet while providing support for the same dev. Yeh, it's not an illegal practices but from my point of view, it does lil bit in the grey area. And they're also, instead of promoting open standards, they're putting their best efforts on their proprietary techs like PhysX, CUDA, etc. And I for one, don't like proprietary techs, because it will limit us to some companies, and I don't think they're the kind of company whom I can trust!

I do admit that I'm a bit on the ATi side but I always chooses what's the best for me. FYI, until now, my graphics card is like 50% ATi, 50% nVidia (my current one is nVidia).

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's always been like that for GPUs though, not everyone upgrades every generation, it's usually every other generation, and since the G92 still hasn't aged that badly..

5. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

hooray team red

6. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

so because nvidia had no trash level gpu to sell ati are up in the market what a joke . are amd still in the black or have they slipped back into the red . any info on the debt they have .

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  7. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

and all thiis talk of the amd ati gpu being the fastest letts wait and see if the dream pc makers agreee wether they give us dual or single gpu cards .

8. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

What is your deal?

9. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I can't say I'm surprised. What with ATi's DX11 cards coming out before Nvidia's, and because they seem to have much lower power consumption.
    I'm surprised their share isn't slightly larger to be honest.

11. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I agree there is definitely something unsavoury about the TWIMTBP campaign - which is made worst by the proprietary nature of technologies like Physx - but you should really be blaming the developers/publishers for that.

They gladly accept the help and support from Nvidia even though it alienates a major chuck of the market and effectively turns their game into a piece of propaganda which evangelises Nvidia's hardware (could you imagine turning on a PS3 game and seeing a massive Microsoft logo which basically said "Hey, you should be playing this on a Xbox!").

As an ATI user (5850), as much as it annoys me seeing that logo, my question becomes - why isn't ATI offering developers a competing physics technology?

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

While its great the ATI manged this finally, I find it rather pathetic that they couldnt do it without being bought out by AMD. Nvidia is holding its own as its own company and not a subsidiary.

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

No real surprise, but hopefully we can get some decent price cuts across the mid-range now the 460 appears ot be worth a look. Wonder if we will see the 6000 series from AMD/Ati before the 20% VAT rate kicks in next year? :)

14. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

To be honest, I don't think I can blame anyone. It's their decision so it's up to them. It just, I'm sick with that kind of propaganda :) If they're having only their logos on it, then I'd say that's fine, but when they add tricks/optimizations/or whatsoever as to make the game to prefer their hardware, then that's what I don't like. But of course there's nothing we could do so I'm just hoping that AMD made better and better hardware so as to make those optimizations feel insignificant :).

Now, that's the 6 mil dollars question LOL.. I don't know either.. Maybe because they haven't got much money to do that or maybe they're just leave it up to the devs on how to support their hardware? Well who knows...

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Again, your point was?

16. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

It's all about who has the most scalable products. And for the past couple of years it's been AMD. They have revised their whole strategy on how to design new cards from the ground up. Where as Nvidia stuck to the same method of building the biggest and most powerful GPU (in terms of raw performance) and scaling down from there. Which IMO has backfired a little bit on Nvidia. AMD took a risk and it paid off big time.

It's all good for us as consumers and tech geeks. The more competition there is, the sooner we get better products at lower prices! :)

I'm sure this link has been posted before on bit-tech but it's still a brilliant article on how AMD changed their process for creating new GPU's.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2937/3

17. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

so nice of you to bring something constructive to the discussion.

I re-read that article again the other day - stuff like that is the reason i read anandtech.

If we think about this, its no surprise its taken this long for AMD to get the lead - the 8/9 series were very good for nvidia, with those cards still being able to play the latest games relatively well (has any other gen of gfx cards lasted this long?). Problem is, once those guys upgrade their monitors they need to upgrade, and for the last year or so thats meant a HD5000 series.

18. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Love my fast, quiet, efficient, reasonably priced 5870. Nvidia are all marketing hype.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually Nvidia's offerings arent necessarily bad since they did perform the part, they outperformed the competition, albeit not as much as they should've but they still managed to. If you really think about it, the GPU industry has always been a potshot, with one company one-upping the other every other generation(or 2).

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

The real news story is that anyone has bought nVidia since the 8800gtx!!

Tags: Add Tags