1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ATI will be at 45nm by 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 Oct 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The sooner they get to a significant change, like 65nm rather then 80nm the better.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Well this is great news, I will be a poor student when they come out.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

yay for the little speech bubble on the discuss article link! sexify teh bit-tech!

Say bye bye to updating your computay for 4 or more years then... Mine is getting some much needed attention this christmas after a 3 year dry spell.

5. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Lessened power consumption can only be agood thing, especially with the current trend of "more powah!!!" taking shape

6. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

This can't come soon enough. The need for enormous heatsinks on almost everything is starting to annoy.

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN New Member

im guessing its 80nm for their dx10 cards then, i guess anything has to be less power hungry than nvidia's "go" at it all.

8. ChromeX

ChromeX Active Member

Unfortunatly though thats not the case, small manufacturing processes do indeed mean that things use less power but it also means that they can cram more onto the heat making to hotter :(

I find it strange that ATI are still using TSMC fabs instead of AMD's, though I suppose thats because AMD only have the one fab in dresden right? So that'd mean cpu shortages. But surely i'd be cheeper to self-produce over having someone else do it for you.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Last AMD roadmap I saw had AMD @ 45nm in 2008, Could it be that the graphics chips from ATI/AMD will be out before or at the same time as the CPUs? That would be odd.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope it comes sooner, as i can see gpus melting their coolers realy soon.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

AMD is taking a more conservative path in aquiring ATi, and I think it's a good idea. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ATi is, and should remain, a profitable company. Sure there are probably ways they could be more profitable, but I don't think AMD is going to rush it and take the chance of screwing a good thing. Historically AMD has been a pretty conservative company and it has worked well for them.

Tags: Add Tags