1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI x800 Or nVidia 6800U??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeathAwaitsU, 16 May 2004.

1. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Medically speaking, even if you survive a shot to the core, you would be fully paralized :p

Besides, I'm 2000m. away in a bush with a AI T96 :p

Cheers,
    Mike

2. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

no, were not. many of the people who have posted will have seen these "key features" and stuck with their opinion that the ATI is better. the ATI seems to scale better at high res. i personally would rather play at 1600x1200 than a lower res with PS3... and the difference in the cards could make one playable at 1600x1200 and the other not.

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

You pay £350 - 400( uk pounds ) for a card u wanna run all the game in highest details. By current benches the ATIs do this oh so dam well its unreal. nvidia got a battle there late for with anti aliasing and anisotropic turned up.

Proph.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

/me is glad i stayed hidden for a while lol

difference £380 for ati's top card (not the cut down version) but its what? about £450 (£600 for the gainward) for the top end nVidia card, value gentlemen? :lol:

/me runs to better vantage point as the shooting dies down, dropping worms style bannana bombs behind me :rock: Eat THAT!!!!!

Death

Last edited: 23 May 2004
  5. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Current prices ive seen on sites are:

sapphire x800 pro £299
    sapphire x800 xt £352
    xfx 6800u £397
    gainward 6800u £421
    gainward 6800u self water cooled all the bells and whistles and mumbo jumbo £633

Right, lets sum up now, from the point of current benchmarks, u can buy the highest performing card ( x800 xt ) for 45GBP less than the current fastest nvidia offering ( aside from that lump gainward are realeasing ).
    And with that 45GBP saving u get ureself, awsome drivers, reliability, a pheckin good card and MAX quality graphics with less than 10% drop in FPS ( thats the facts as i see it, like or lump as they would say )

However, for ure 45GBP more, u get, a brand new architecture with new features, and a pheckin fast card ( theres no arguing about that ) and with new driver releases i see this as being a very very quick card in the MAX quality options, however, at this current point in time, its not.
    Right now i know wher my money is going, a pci-e version of the ati cards in 6months time when i saved up, lol. However, thats right now, in 6 months, the world could be upside down, xgi could have a card 4x faster than 6800u and ati could be bust... but.. thats another story :)

6. DeathAwaitsU

Opps

Ignore this post lol, i was editing my last post and it made a new post 4 sum reason :confused:

/me look around, where is everone? i think those bannana bombs took everyone out :D

Death

7. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I will let experience do the talking. My NVIDIA card has been the most stable card along with great drivers. My ATI's have acted dodgy and while they are fast, Just not worth the hassle.

I will be going with the 6800U if i can :thumb:

Again comparing these cards is like a hit man comparing guns. Should I use the .44 magnum or my Desert Eagle. Both hold great killing power just one is more powerful then the other.

(too much tac-ops is to blame for that analogy...)

8. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

/Little does Death realise that while he is looking around a small red laser dot has been painted on the side of his foot... the sky turns bright as the VAPOR Ion Cannon reorients and fires its weapon. Death is instantly vaporized as Sea Shadow Translocates back to a hidden location.

9. DeathAwaitsU

/me wonders how you go about de-vaporization :lol:

Death

10. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

The De-Vaporiser of course..

11. DeathAwaitsU

/Ah hah, now all i need is some one to use it on the black pile of ash that was once me :wallbash:

Ive never had a problem with ATI or nVidia, yet i haven't used any of their newest cards, ive got a 32meg nVidia layin around somewhere (can't remember what it is) and i'm currently usin a Radeon 7000 64meg, this will be the first graphics update i do to go along with the new system

Death

12. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

That would be me then i guess :) Plug USB De-Vaporiser in and de-vaporises death.. Rofl, now that sounds ammusing

And ive used cards including GF2 and the GF2 Ultra, a GF3 Ti500 and from ATi i used a 7000, 7500 and 9700non-pro.. And had no problems with any of them. Id says thats not bad from a bunch of quite a few.

Anyway, my experiences :)

Proph.

13. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

If it was me...

I wouldn't buy either. Its too much money to spend with pci-express just round the corner.

However, if for some reason I *had* to buy one, it'd be the nvidia, purely because ATI's linux support is pants.

Sam

14. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Lol, u cant justify not buying them by saying there to expensive with pci-e around the corner. Cos lets see, i wanna upgrade asnd buy a pci-e graphics card, o wait, im an amd user with an xp chip ( worst case scenario ). Damit ive now got to buy me a new motherboard, and oh wait, a new processor to cos there not making pci-e mobos for xp chips. Now thats alot of money for a new graphics card, no??

Until PCI-e become mainstream and i cant buy an agp graphics card anymore im sticking with agp ones. And with that i think ill say ure point is null. 352pounds agp, (assume pci-0e card is same price, doutful tho) 352 for card, +100 for mobo + 150 for processor ( and i think i was being cheap there ).

Thats expensive,
    Proph.

15. Uncle Psychosis

well, given that there isn't really any need for the power of a 6800 or x800 just now (HL2 isn't out, nor is Doom3) you're as well waiting untill you *need* to upgrade.

Given that most people are going to want to upgrade to new pci-express mobos at some point anyway, then if you've already bought a £350 quid agp card then you're going to have to fork out *again* for a top range pci-express card.

I.e

6800 + pci-express card + new mobo +new proc

is more expensive than

pci-express card + new mobo +new proc

Sam

16. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Maybe so.. But people for example who upgraded to an a64 in the last 6months or so now there so damned good value. I for one have, and am not regretting it what so ever. Ok so these pci-e cards maybe a bit faster, but at the price right now jsut cant see it being worthwhile. Im no super rich kid, ure average joe, i try and upgrade my ****e every year and half or so, whils adding small bits ( more ram, hdd ) during that time. Now when PCI-e comes out, ive no doubt itll be expensive anyway, and probably wont work properly for the first 6months ( like most new technology ) but alas, one never knows. But theres still the fact its cheaper for me to buy a top of the range card now, and use that, like you say, theres nothing thats gonna be using the awsome card like that yet.. So whats the need for a pci-e version rite now if u dont even need the agp equivalent??

Proph.

17. Uncle Psychosis

Well, fair enough. Personally I just cannot justify spending £300+ on a graphics card!
    Sam

18. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Because its what we do!

Proph.

19. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

meh,

i have realised i dont play enough games to warrant a new card. i will always get the gen, or model back, like i will be looking for a second hand 9700pro, or 9800pro, or 5900(ultra or non) when next gen is in full swing. i also cant use an AGP card in my dual proc, so theres no point on that front.... so... methinks i will be waiting a couple of years before i go next gen.

tbh, i think ill stick with previous gen nvidia :) (for linux support as Sam says too).

20. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

The way you guys are talking is sounds like once pci-e comes out agp will cease to exist, I was under the impression it was going to be "phased" out. :eyebrow:

Tags: