1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Atx Pins

Discussion in 'Modding' started by c.cam108, 16 Apr 2004.

1. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

does anyone know how to get the pins out of an atx connector?

its really annoying me, as i don't want to buy a set of connectors from m00ie if i can't fit it on!

Also, what about the atx auxiluary (like an old AT connector) and the P4 12v?

thanks

2. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

You really need a special tool to remove them easily , even then its not easy.

Kustom stock them I think :)

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

or you could make you'r own tool... i did.. it worked great...

just find two thin steel plates and put a 2 (or was it 3?) mm aluminum between them... screw or rivit it together and use the dremel to grind down the steel so that they form a "fork" that fits in the two slots on the holes in the ATX plug...

i could post pics of the one i made, but i can't get access to my webserver :waah:

the P4 plug is the same as the atx plug, så if you get off one of those, you will know how to do both... the AUX plug is a bit different... it has some smaller holes for each pin... just put a thick needle dohn that hole and press the tap on the pin...

tip: don't pull the vire while you try to loosen the tabs.. if you pull the tabs will only lock them selves... (after all, that's what the are for) It's better to try to push the pin/cable INTO the plug, loosen the tab, and then pull it out..

the needle thing works on the ATX plugs aswell BTW.. it's just more difficult to do... (it had two tabs that sits in a wery thigth place... pretty hard to find anything thin AND strong enough...)

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Or you could chop the end off of a jack plug and use that, theres a guide in the mod guides section.

5. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

i saw that and its only for normal molex's

i might try that, dont have dremel tho (am only 14) might try to grind it down some other way

looking around my room just now i think i might try the tweesers from my swiss army knife, theyre quite small, or maybe try using pins or bent paperclips etc.

thanks for your help

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

the tweesers doesn't work... i tried (your's could be different of course)... paperclips could work if the have the right thickness... you'r wont be able to push the tab with bending the clip, but sticking it on teh side of the pin could work.. (the paperclip pushes between the plastic and the tab)...

ask you'r mom for a sewing needle.. i think that is you'r best chance... (one that doesn't bend easily)... just remember to bend back the tabs before you reinsert them... (you really don't want the pins to fall out ;) )...

and be wery sure to insert the cables at the same position again... (mixing cables with the same colors shouldn't matter though...)

7. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

DoubleC - We (M00ie) are getting proper ATX pin removers in next week and they will cost the same amount as our normal molex pin extractors.

Hope this helps :).

[Edit] The tool also works with the P4 plug.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

9. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

If you want to use the tweesers then you wil have to file one edge down so that it will fit in, i was going to do this but couldnt find my vice.

10. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

right...

ive just tried the tweesers (too big) paperclip (to bendy) and a screwdriver (too big) on an old powersupply and now i just need to find someone willing to buy a powersupply with a broken atx cannector (only joking)

as for asking my mum for a sewing needle, i was going to try that next (great minds think alike :D ) and if all else fails, i might just buy a tool from m00ie or Kustom

thanks for the help!

11. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

As i said, use a file to make the tweesers smaller. Then it should fit into the ATX connector.

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

i give up

arian, when are you getting the tool thingy in?

13. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

these are fidlley tools to use , be carefull not to pull to hard as it can damadge the tabs on the pins if you do that you will need a new pin. no great deal i supose.

there are a few types out there. here

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Use the smallest possible flat head (precision) screwdriver, push it down one side, twist lightly left then right, do this on the other side then pull out the cable.

15. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

i found a very easy way
    use a small paperclip