1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Audio Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlchemyFire, 8 Oct 2010.

1. AlchemyFire

AlchemyFire What's a Dremel?

I have 2 PCs, and want to connect them both into one set of speakers. Any ideas? I was thinking of an Audio Splitter/Switch Box, but haven't the first clue where to even begin.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumb:

Thanks!

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The issue is that there don't seem to be many high quality units (that could potentially ruin sound quality...depending on how much that matters).

Maplin sell plenty of these units, I'd roam around on their website and have a look. Belkin KVMs with audio support are also going to be quite a good option, and not cost too much more.

3. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

If you're after really cheap then a small line mixer could work out for you. Something like this

A couple of adaptors to change each stereo 1/8" minijack from each PC's output into 2 X 1/4" jacks would do, and a stereo jack on the output to send to the speakers (depending on your connection!)

So you'd have:

Channel 1 - PC 1 Left
    Channel 2 - PC 1 Right
    Channel 3 - PC 2 Left
    Channel 4 - PC 2 Right

And the output would go to your speakers. Bingo, you can now change between the two PC's by twisting a couple of knobs :)

There's a million and one way's to do this by the way, but this way you can use the mixer as a hot swap if you want to quickly plug your Ipod in or something and have a volume control too!

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

5. AlchemyFire

AlchemyFire What's a Dremel?

Thanks... Had a look at Maplin earlier, wasn't exactly excited by what they had to offer. I am looking for something that does have good sound quality too.

Thanks for all your help!