1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Burns: 2009

Discussion in 'Serious' started by MystChic, 9 Feb 2009.

1. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

"Bushfire Season" is an annual event in Australia - but this year was different.
    Weeks on end with no rain and record temperatures (47ºC or 116.6ºF in some parts of the state of Victoria) have caused the worst bushfires in our nations history.

Over one hundred people have died and dozens more injured. The main trauma centre (Burns unit, Alfred hospital) ran out of morphine trying to relieve victims pain.

News.com.au coverage

British PM Gordon Brown offers to help Australia

CNN.com coverage

We need a miracle to put them out.. :(

(hmmm - should be Australia Burns.. )

Last edited: 9 Feb 2009
  2. Major

Major Guest

Shocking stuff actually, some of the stuff on the news actually made me go "OMG", and I'm the opposite of sensitive.

:)

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ow crap.... by the way, isn't it summer over there in Australia?

edit: there was no warning?

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's awful that some of the fires might have been set deliberately. How stupid and/or mad do you have to be to imagine that that would something fun to do?

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

**** me.

That's a bit of bad news.

Don't suppose anyone knows whether Anglesea or Torquey have had a bit of fire have they?

6. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

it's terrible that there are b*stards that do this in the world. Mum almost cried while she was watching the news interview some people that have had a member of their family fallen victim.

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I haven't heard of any fires down around Anglesea or Torquay. Heaps through the Whittlesea area and a little somewhere in Bendigo.

These things can move damn quick, and the people that stayed home to defend thier house, just as they have done for the last 10 or 20 years, well some of these people found themselves in a bushfire that was 100x worse than they had feared.

I heard about a couple of guys that survived by hiding out in the bunker they made. Apparently the steel door was glowing while they were drinking wine and playing cards. Shame every house out in the bush doesn't have one of these bunkers, i wouldn't live out there without one.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, I think we've just found the two world record holders of "biggest stainless steel balls".

But yes, a fireproof shelter would be a sensible piece of standard equipment for a home located in a wildfire-prone outback.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It certainly would be a good idea - just the same as a storm shelter is a good idea in tornado alley... Some people won't/can't install them though.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Reading up on this a bit and I hope that if those people get caught they are charged with mass murder.

12. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

So do I. Toll is over 170 and that's going to rise as teams go through the rubble. Entire towns have been declared crime scenes.

What are the chances of the firebugs (sorry, arsonists..) being caught though? Wouldn't the evidence have burned away? Anyone know?

13. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

It's a truly awful and appalling disaster.

180+ dead and thousands who have lost their livelihoods, their homes, pets and livestock, and all their possessions.

And it's not over yet. There're are still several big fires threatening towns and farms in the area.

I made my salary-sacrifice donation today and I encourage all the other Aussies here to do their bit. It'll take these people years to really recover from this catastrophe, let's all do what we can to help.

Regards

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is just a terrible thing. Even the koalas are getting burned paws. Some nosepick was arrested for starting at least part of this.

Did any of you see the pic of the poor guy checking out his house and car and the aluminum wheels had melted and run down into puddles. Very hot.
    Very sad.

john