1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Auto file sync software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spraduke, 2 Jan 2021.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Hi all,

I have a western digital mycloud NAS but unfortunately they've stopped support for their own WD Sync software on the NAS (stupid move but whatever).

Can anyone recommend a fairly user friendly (i.e. not command line) way of automatically syncing documents, music, pictures etc. with respective NAS folders? Must be auto sync (either daily or on change) as zero chance my wife will remember to manually do this!

I want it to be synced rather than a backup as I have copies of these folders on my pc, living room pc and the NAS and I want to keep them all aligned so that it doesn't matter where I add/remove music, photos etc.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Not sure if Syncback does what you want, but I use it daily to keep my work in order

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Synching looks like it might do it, will give it a try

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Syncthing was a bit of a faff with the MyCloud OS even though there is a unofficial app for it. Ended up using Syncback with a scheduled daily sync. Hopefully that will work out ok.

Really odd why WD dropped support for WD Sync which seemed simple and reliable. The even have a brand new mobile app for syncing that works fine but no desktop equivalent!

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

When I was messing with my myCloud EX2 they have suggested a piece of software called Goodsync. Installed it yesterday on my Win PC, in setting up the backups it wanted my Win username and password. I decided not to go any further.

I'll have a look at Syncthing too, but also keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2021
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Tried goodsync, seemed a bit all over the shop and the good features seemed locked in the free version so decided not to stick with it. There is .bin for syncthing and maybe you'll get on with it better than I did but seemd like a fair bit of faff to get setup (also wasn't clear to me how it starts up on reboots as it wasn't an installer as such).

8. Cookie Monster

I tried Syncthing and, yeah, bit of a faff. However SyncBack looks to tick all the boxes, works how I want it too, isn't too expensive, but then it doesn't support Apple. :duh:

My search continues.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use Syncthing, and I love it. Got everything on my data drive synchronised with both my old server (yet to be retired) and my new one, my work files synchronised with my laptop, and everything synchronised with a Raspberry Pi at my mum's house as an off-site backup - all with versioning, so it's a proper backup, not merely an archive: if I discover I screwed a file up six months ago, I can pull the unscrewed version out nae bother.

Arboreal likes this.
  10. Cookie Monster

@Gareth Halfacree does it allow you to browse a backup or does it create one large backup file?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It just creates a ".stversions" directory which holds all earlier file versions, suffixed with the date and time they changed. No messing about at restore time, but it obviously isn't a real backup 'cos they're online and on the same device as a primary copy. Good enough for government work, tho'.

12. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

For open source - freefilesync, though you'll need to schedule jobs through windows schedule (or apple/linux equivalent) or run realtimesync (supplied with freefilesync)
    For shareware/paid I had decent experience with FBackup/Backup4All (Windows only)
    While Syncthing is good, its missing one major feature - shaddowcopy, so it cant sync opened files on windows.

Or if you are willing & able, you could install nextcloud on your WD Nas.

Tags: