1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Automatic backup of a Bitlocker encrypted HDD possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aterius Gmork, 25 Oct 2019.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Does anyone know how to set up an automatic backup of a Bitlocker encrypted HDD? I want to set up an encrypted internal HDD (password protection). However I am really bad at manual backups. Ideally I'd like to mirror the whole drive once a week onto a NAS drive (same capacity). Of course the backup should be encrypted as well.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

It's not 100% what you're after but I use Bvckup2 for backup purposes. It can't encrypt the backups as such but both the source and destination can be encrypted (bitlocker for example) - prices have gone up since I bought however so maybe there's a cheaper option. The chap that wrote the software & maintains it is exceptionally helpful too if you run into any issues.

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Any backup program that runs from within the OS should be able to perform a backup of a Bitlocker encrypted drive. Once you're booted and logged in, the drive encryption is transparent.
    The rub is that this does not apply to encrypted partitions that are not 'mounted' (i.e. in use by the OS). For example if the bootloader partition and any recovery partitions are present, a backup program would not be able to image them. Similarly, a backup program that runs outside the OS (e.g. from a bootable USB) will also only see an encrypted volume.

Whether the backup is encrypted or not is down to your recovery program, though it won't be the same encryption as the Bitlocker drive.

Aterius Gmork likes this.