1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Automatic *Rifle at Wallmart? WTH

Discussion in 'General' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 17 Dec 2012.

1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I really don't like personal attacks I am a gun owner and I have extensive training in all types of weapons including fully automatic grenade launchers, .50 Cal BMGHB, and other automatic, semi automatic weapons. I am not an IDIOT and I resent the fact that you would call a decent amount of the U.S. population Idiots, I know doctors, lawyers, white and blue collar workers that own guns and are responsible. So I don't see your point and please refrain from making big generalizations.

Three a day is not bad look at how many people die in cars each day in the U.S. and here they should really stop making cars they are extremely dangerous. Guns are made for many purposes, the majority of guns are made specifically for hunting and sport shooting/competitive shooting, not to kill people. Yes these can and are used for killing people but that is not the reason there made just like a car is made for travel but can be used for killing people. The weapons made for the military are made for disabling equipment or personnel I.E. Killing.

walle likes this.
  2. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

lol @ thread. I'm personally in support of gun ownership, but that's just me.

Definately move to serious though as this is an actual discussion about recent news.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not sure how you calculated it but you're quite off, it's 86 firearms deaths per day by those figures!

In 2011 (last public figures available) there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms. But if you include deaths classed as "accidental shooting deaths" it brings the annual total to more than 30,000 (article & source)

In the UK there were only 51 people killed by guns in 2011 - so if you account for the population difference between the UK and the US and apply the deaths/million figures from the UK to the larger US population there would be around 12 firearms deaths per day in the US if you had UK gun ownership laws.

I would say that general Gun ownership does not make the country a safer place to live.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I said that on another thread, crazy peoples strike when you're defenseless( church, shopping center, school ). You can have all the weapons in the world, if you can't carry them in public, you'll be gunned like everybody else the Day-D. A bulletproof jacket would be a better investment, at least you can wear it at anytime.

5. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

You can carry weapons in public if you have a concealed weapons permit, it does have limitations I.E. schools, church, federal buildings and the such. But if you get the proper training and pass all the checks you can carry a weapon almost anywhere you want.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

Having the right to carry a gun almost anywhere most be practical for a hitman...

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

What if you pass all the check and are a madman ?

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Did you seriously just compare the (entirety/majority/minority) of gun deaths to motor accidents?

The key is in the wording here, motor accidents not motor assisted murders. Cars are intended first and foremost as a mode of transport. To quote the first line in wiki about a car: (which I ****ing hate doing)

To quote the first line in wiki about a gun:

There intended purpose is radically different, you may as well be comparing slipper related deaths, or teaspoon deaths for all it really matters.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a rats ass about your training, calling someone whom owns these weapons an idiot is stupid itself for obvious reasons, but you must realise you are not the average gun owner by far.

And if you are willing to accept 3.5 deaths every hour caused by guns/assault weapons or whatever the hell you want to classify them as I think you seriously need to take a step back from the guns and have a re-think.

9. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Remember that in this case the question is not guns as an overall subject but more specifically semi automatic rifles, these are made for killing people, their design, development and production are all tailored for military use, and therefore their primary use is neither home defence nor sports shooting but taking life. And for hunting the demands are very different as you see with proper hunting rifles where they are usually bolt action or if semi automatic they are more commonly made to carry a five or six round magazine, and not twenty or more.

On regards to burglaries there is a very important factor you always have to account for and that is the big picture. Sure I would like to have a pistol in case of a robbery, as again as you said, you rarely know what the robber may do if surprised, however if you live in a society where it is possible for you to have a gun it is also possible for not only him but also all the other of his potential targets to have one. What this means is that if you have one the thief has to assume that you DO have one and therefore he will make sure to come loaded himself. Add to this that the mental difference it makes for a thief to come loaded, he feels more secure and therefore more willing to take risks, while I have no research on this at hand I would go out on a limb here and say that an unarmed thief is more likely to flee than an armed one. Also remember than if it comes to a shoot-out the thief is not only going to fairly desperate but he is unlikely to consider where he shoots and a partition wall into the children's room does not stop any kind of bullet.

If however you live in a country where it is no commonplace to own a weapon the thief would no longer have the need for a gun as it would only further endanger himself if police is involved and the general punishments are far more severe in cases where weapons are involved, so it is simply no longer worth the risk for the thief to have one.

So in summary by owning a gun you only manage to ensure that when you do surprise a thief he is going to be armed as well, and you only increase the risk for yourself and your family.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's three per hour.

Also, the logic you use is completely idiotic. Guns are not made with 'many purposes,' a multi-tool has many purposes, guns specifically shoot things.

You pull the trigger and a simple mechanical device generates an explosion that propels a projectile forwards at great speed. What ever's in the way of said projectile is about to have a very bad day.

You're resorting to the junkie logic I talked about earlier. There's always a reason why yours is different, why it's safe, why it's not for that. You use your own internal logic to justify the actions, but you can't see that the logic is broken.

I've some bad news for you, guns were invented to kill, the entire arc of their design evolution has been geared to making them kill more efficiently. You can't use them for construction, or to spread butter, or make a nice wood carving.

You point it at something, pull the trigger and that something gets f***ed up. That's how they work, last Friday the gun worked perfectly, exactly as the designer intended, exactly how the advert says it will work, exactly how nearly ten centuries of development dictate. The gun did what the gun was born to do, now you're standing in the mess trying to explain how you never saw it coming, again.

You sound like an alcoholic trying to explain how he's perfectly functional with half a bottle of Smirnoff in him. I'm sure it sounds great in your head but to the rest of the world it falls somewhere between mystifying and horrifying.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012