1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding avert your eyes, the monitor is dead

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sunny-D, 8 Aug 2004.

1. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

Alright, all that stands between me and watching dvd's on a 17 inch monitor again is...something wrong in the monitor. I hear some rattling around in it, so my guess is a broken monitor vga connector. This wasnt my monitor, its one my nice aunt gave me :D but, seeing as i cant open it up to check it out till i get home, im just biding my time and cruising the forum. Seeing as i have nothing but time, i have thought up a few things i want to do to this monitor, after of course i get it working again. my ideas include integrating a usb hub into the front of it, putting some led's into the back area to illuminate the grille, and maybe making a new on switch. something interesting, and maybe to combine the power on led and the button, like those vandal proof ones.
    Heres a pic of the monitor as it stands now, im using my aunts camera and until i get my own camera, these are the only pics im going to be able to get up.

[​IMG]

heres a shot of the grille behind which wil be the led's
    [​IMG]

if anyone has any experience poking around the innards of a monitor, or have heard of issues with a Samsung SyncMaster 700s, post it. and, any suggestions are greatly appreciated~~Sunny-D

also, what colour led's?
    im trying to decide between blue, orange, red, and green. not entirely sure yet, and im sure i dont want the led's switching colours, it would eventually make me retch :D ~~Sunny-D

Last edited: 19 Aug 2004
  2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Just be VERY careful what you touch. There are some big capacitors in there :worried:

3. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

4. Nova Kain

Nova Kain What's a Dremel?

Monitors are not exactly a "walk in the park" to mod. Integrating a hub sounds like a cool idea. Would you have a seperate cable coming out the back, or re-wire the whole thing to include the usb cables. ?

5. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

thanks for the links

thanks for the links, i was wondering how to discharge a monitor. i think i forgot a power connector at my aunts house, it seems to need a regular power plug then an auxilliary (spelling?) to get it running. all it does is the power led blinks as of now, but im heading out to her house again tomorrow and i seem to remember a power plug (think cd player power connector type) in her box of computer cables, so ill grab it and put an update up when i get back.

6. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

nova kane, i would probably have a separate cable coming out the back, like a second vga plug to bring power to the lights and usb to it all compact like, seeing as i have a vga connector i can pirate off the really really old computer. through some further research i now know how to discharge a monitor. im still trying to confirm that it required an extra power plug, but methinks thats why it seemingly doesnt work. it powers up and displays the monitor cable disconnected warning, it just doesnt display input from the video card. ill write again when i get back from going out to my aunts to get the cable. it might be a few days, or tomorrow night if i cant sleep.

7. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

there is a way to discharge a monitor... cant remember how to but try askin around at pimprig.com another forum place kinda like this

8. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

I can help you
    I have moddem my monitor which you can see here:
    [​IMG]

Basically if you want to be extra carefull one thing you can do is to leave the monitor unplug for more then a week to somewhat lower the charge left from the last connection.

then you can unscrew the back end and pull it out. Of course i strongly advise you do not touch anything from the inside of the monitor as there there will still be some charge left in it that can burn you or even kill you. I know you want to try to fix it but monitors are not the same as a computer and if you dont know what your doing it there then you shouldnt evne try to do anything.

If you are some crazy motherf**ker and you want to play in it then if you want to discharge it then if I rememver correctly if that you need a scewdriver with a wire running from the metal part and all the way to the ground and you have to touche the red cap that you find on the top of the CRT or you have to remove the cap and touche the exposed part. But im not sure since i have not done this because im not crazy hehe

Make sure you ground yourself so that if you do touch something, most of the charge will go to the ground.

My monitor was a bit tricky because there was 1 cable which i could not remove so for me to be able to remove the back end i have to push the cable through as I went.

once it is remove leave it in a clean and safe place and you can work on the back end with no problem.

As for the front part you wont be able to remove it because it is scew to the whole CRT tube so forget about that. If you want to paint it then I would suggess that you tape the screen and paint it when the monitor is all back.

Like everyone says, yes monitors are dangerous but if your carefull not to touch anything then there shouldnt be any problem

9. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

close to giving up on the monitor

ok, well, the monitor isnt working. ive tried every way i can think of to get it to work. i believe theres something seriously wrong with it. it was attached to a computer that died subsystem by subsystem, so maybe when the graphics went it took the monitor with it. i dunno. all i know is, i dont wanna die for a 17 inch monitor, and its taking up space on the living room floor. it may get the boot soon. not entirely sure what to do to get rid of a monitor, the trash guys would most certainly break the tube into a million pieces on the street in front of my house. ...ok, its out on the kerb. end of this project. nite all.