1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows AVG Antivirus keeps popping up?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bishvabis, 18 Nov 2011.

1. bishvabis

bishvabis What's a Dremel?

Almost everyday when I get on my computer a windows box comes up and says that the antivirus hasn't passed their security or something and it says continue with installation anyways or stop installation. It pops up at least five times after you click on your selection, then eventually the AVG antivirus box will come up and say I need to restart. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

uninstall avg, restart and reinstall avg

3. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

uninstall AVG. install microsoft security essentials.

seriously. AVG has gotten bad with their annoying crap. they used to be good, not so much anymore.

4. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

This. I was using AVG, then went to MSE upon recommendation from one of my college lecturers, and will not go back. MSE is so much better!

5. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Don't install MSE - there are better free options out there. Notably Avira which, at 99.5% was one of the best performers in AV Comparatives' most recent (PDF) comparative tests. MSE in comparison scored third from bottom with 92.1%.

MSE was also rated poorly by Virus Bulletin (scoring ~80%/65% on their Reactive/Proactive chart - Avira getting ~95%/85% in comparison) and AV-Test (who gave MSE a 2.5 out of 6 protection score compared to 4.0 out of 6 for Avira).

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

MSE does what I want leaves me the f**k alone to enjoy my computer, otherwise what's the point!!

Edit: AhhhhhhhhhhhGGGGGGGGGGGGGG my avatar what have you done, that's just evil!!

7. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I'd go Avast in gaming mode. :thumb:

8. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

Get MSE

9. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Get the one you are most comfortable with. I've used both AVG and MSE. Neither is perfect, seen infections on pc's with both. I use MSE because I got fed up with the advert banners on AVG.

10. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

update: got rid of MSE as pc got infected, had to reinstall. Now using paid version of Bit Defender Internet Security 2012.

11. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

This is why MSE is such a good buddy/AV. I can keep on gaming when a scan is going on in the background. Also it comes in offline version which is pretty great and rides on my USB stick toolkit.

12. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Conversely, what's the point in running an AV that doesn't detect malware adequately, leading to your computer being compromised?

Performance should be one factor, but by no means the only one - and the most thorough scanners will need to spend more time examining each file due to the many methods available to disguise malware (file compression or packing, encryption, code morphing, etc).

13. rickythomas

rickythomas What's a Dremel?

AVG is creating for the users these days, i dont use it on my PC, i am using eset since a year.

14. Zago

Zago What's a Dremel?

I have also switched from AVG to MSE for similar reasons, personally really like MSE - easy to use, doesn't constantly bother me but does remind me to do a full scan each week!

15. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Uninstall AVG. Install Avast.

Easy.