1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AVG Free is best free anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

I ditched Avira Free because of those annoying nags, the nag that forced me to do it was when I was playing Mass Effect and it popped up making the game tab out and after wouldn't let me back in :angry, so I uninstalled it, fill in the questionnaire telling them they ruined my game and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, which so far has been alright.

3. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

I already knew this... that's why i use it :p

Seriously, good to know is actualy a good anti-virus, but as you say I am sensible enough to avoid dangerous places or mails or whatever too. (pat pat)

4. oMonarca

oMonarca Elitist Brick

I use Avira Free and made it work to my favour. I just scheduled the auto-updates to about 1:20a.m. Now it works like an alarm clock, telling me to stop gaming and go to bed, since my work requires me to be awake :)

The pop-up is jarring, but very easily avoidable - just reschedule the update to run when it's most convenient to you.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I used AVG for a while about a year ago but left it when reinstalling OS'. Now I'm using Avast, and I'm quite happy with it. Avast also monitors IMAP email traffic, although this can be a bit annoying as I use SSL and it needs that disabled to scan it, but at least the warnings stopped themselves after a couple attempts.

At the end of the day, for an advanced user a virus scanner only needs to be there as a safety net or to scan a file you already think is suspicious. If a virus breaks my computer, I can just reinstall the OS and restore my backups and as such there's no need to go for the full fat security suite.

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1 been using it for years and I try not to go to dodgy sites... Wish it was a little less resource hungry but that's what multi-core cpu's are for...

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I would have liked to see a comparison with MS Security Essentials, which I'm using at the moment and I think is excellent. I've used Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Panda and AVGFree before but since MSSE came out it's been installed on all my machines. I'm also trying out Sandboxie for anything that looks suspicious.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Using the Free version of Avast here, never had any problems and its 'light weight' too.

I don't see the point in paid for 'internet security' suits outside of a corporate environment (and only then because of the licencing).

Common sense if a far better security monitor than most of the available suites put together.

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

That's like saying "Syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases".
    I stopped using AVG free as it missed viruses that paid for suites found. I wouldn't go back from Kaspersky now.

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I used avg for a while but found a couple years ago that avast free was better than avg. I also run Spybot S&D (also free) at the same time and between the two my systems seems to stay clean.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

I run AVG on one, and Avast on the other computer.
    Must be an older version though, as it doesn't nag every day, it just autoupdates.

Never noticed any real difference between the two.

12. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

I used to use AVG and Spybot together, good coverage, and never missed anything. On 7 however AVG9 just didn't run well.
    Now using MSE, much smaller, faster and tiny footprint. None of that AVG background pre-scan bollocks either.

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

AVG free is what I recommend to all of my friends when their "30 days free" with a new PC runs out. I personally use NOD32. £40 for 3 years, job done!

14. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

+1 for this.

15. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

You might want to try This to remove the nags...

The only thing AVG (free) ever did with me was make my desktop freeze, have found Avast, MSE and Avira (free versions) quite superior...
    ________
    California dispensary

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  16. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

17. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

You can never take anything a mag like PCP says as you never know if its going to be biased. AVG is ok, but it misses lots of stuff. I think MSSE is better, many people share that view.

18. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

A combo of MS Security essentials, Malwarebytes and common sense does the trick for me.

19. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Where did Comodo come in? I know it's not a standalon anti-virus but I like my Anti-virus and Firewall packages to come bundled up together and decided not to pay for the AVG suite.

20. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

MSE +1 here too

Tags: Add Tags