1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward periods of time!

Discussion in 'General' started by Solidus, 15 Jan 2006.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

This thread proved hugely popular and incredibly funny on the warcraft forum i post at and i thought id try cross it over to here.

Basically post moments in your life that have just been awkward, funny or just plain wierd.

Heres a few universal classics that are sure to ring a few bells for most people:

1)When you're on the phone with someone and both of you want to leave, and you are trying to find an excuse to leave while you are sure that the other person is too, so there is silence until finally someone comes up with a good lie and the phone call ends.

2)When you and a semi-aquaintance are the only two people in the hall at school walking towards eachother for like 100 ft. Who says hi first? Do we say hi at all? Do we nod, or just try to avoid eye contact?

3)When you're at someone elses house and they ask if you're hungry and you say yes so they offer you food but it's some gross foreign crap that you don't want to eat but now you are in quite a dilemma because they know you're hungry and they have food to provide but you don't want to eat that **** so you are trying to sound polite but getting out of eating it so you say that you aren't hungry anymore but really you are so you go buy subway on the way home.

This never happened to me though.

A goodone from one member of the warcraft 3 forum named bluedot - this ones pretty funny:

"This story, like all good ones should, involves a foxy lady. You see, I was about to enter a building controlled by keycard access and, as is customary in polite society, I turned around to see if anyone else was coming in so that I could hold the door open. Lo and behold, quite a few paces back was this girl. I thought to myself, what would serve as a more chivalrous entrée to this fetching lady than holding the door for her?

Why is this worth mentioning and what the hell does it have to do with Warcraft? I'll explain.

You have to understand that she was in that no-man's land of door holding. She was close enough so that I thought twice about holding the door, but not so close that I was expected to do it. What's more, I was screwed either way. On one hand, if I don't hold the door I'm an inconsiderate jerk, but on the other hand if I wait too long just to hold the door, I am creepy and awkward thus negating whatever positive connotation the polite gesture carried. And really, swiping an ID card isn't that much work anyway. " - Bluedot @ wcreplays.com

This is just a few, the actual link for this thread on the wcreplays.com is REALLY funny - if you want to have a good laugh check it out HERE!

Anyways you get the idea, post yours!

Mine is one i get myself into a few times, when im with a friend and he/she meets one of their friends, someone i dont know, now how do i act? do i say hello? do i join in the convo? its basically like im a third wheel while we all walk together and i just be quiet..its awkward but what makes it worse is when i meet the same person again in other moments and weve yet to even pass a few words as its the same situation all over... awkward indeedy!

Post yours!

2. Slink

Slink B7

When you are in the company of a ladyfriend and you come back from a long period on the toilet, the silence... What do you say?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Doors that open both ways and you're approaching as someone else does from the other direction.

Who opens one? and which way? and which one? :confused: I hate that, and just about every set of doors at staffs uni are like that :(

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

When you walk along the street when for some reason your eyes lock onto someone elses and they do the same to you, and you can't seem to look away, that's happened a fair few times for me!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

When you are walking towards someone on the street and you're both coming directly towards each other and you both change your path at the same time, then do it again! Then you're not sure whether you should or not and you have to slow down because you've got too close :duh:

6. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

When the you call someone and who ever answers isnt who you wanna talk to, but you still know em pretty well, Do you have a small chat or go "is Jay there"?

When you answer the door in nothing but boxers coz you just got woken up & your holding the dog coz he likes to run outta the gate an on the road. (happens to me alot to delivery men normally)

When the god-squad call round and you don't wanna be rude but dont really care.

Awkward silences with people you just met (like new class in college)

one that happened to me the other day. When your standing talking to someone and someone in a wheelchair comes up behind you and you dont notice an you stand there for 5 mins b4 someone says something!

New group people in your college class that know each other, do you go over and start chatting to them, or wait for them to talk to you first?

Group of people walking really slowly taking up the whole path and your in a rush, i normally just walk past on the road.

Another one i remeber that happened to me, Standing in HMV and a black guy comes up and asks me a question but i have "no" idea wtf he just said coz' they have the loud music playin an he has a really heavy accent and you go "what?" but still dont get what he said and have to guess at what he said or keep going "what?"

When someone invites you to a party and you only know one person and no-one else, do you go or make an excuse. (i'd go tbh)

That'll do methinks

7. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

taking a poop in someone elses house... to stink bomb or no

Comming to a 4 way stop sign and stopping at exactly the same time as someone else. You arent in a hurry so you take as long as possible to actually stop so he just goes but he does the same thing and you both sit there looking at each other untill one of you goes :p

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

You're having some "fun" with your friends girlfriend. He comes in the room and catches you bouth.. what do you say?

lol , jk. I'll try to think of some serious ones later on.

L

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That fits your sig way too well...

Lessee.... calling up a friend you haven't talked to in a while. His younger bro picks up the phone, but apparently his voice cracked in the time period since you last called, and you start a conversation assuming it's your friend. That one got a bit strange...

You're flipping a parent the bird after an argument of sorts as s/he's walking away, but s/he turns around as your doing so and notices.

Anything involving exposed genetalia and someone from a different generation...:worried:

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Solidus, he should have dropped the keycard in the doorway and taken a few seconds to pick it up -- then it would be a sensible amount of time to hold the door. ;)

When you get asked to help out at some event you'd hate to be at, and the person asking knows you obviously don't have an excuse.

ch424

11. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

And bonus points if she's wearing a short skirt :worried:

Or you might just get a slap :D

12. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

Haha, that always happens to me! Some people give you a real dirty look and I'm like wth?? :hehe:

13. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

When your in the pub, and there is this fit girl who you would so easily take home, but you have nothing in common.

That awkward silence of just trying to come up with something.

14. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i use to get struggle with this problem until i found the solution - get drunk.
    Now i dont mean legless but just so your on a high.
    Believe it or not but when im drunk iv always managed to come up with things to say and my body language is much better and i gotta say its worked pretty often :naughty:

The drink gives you courage and relaxes you, things flow much easier.

=)

15. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Are you still talking about pooping in the second part of that post? :worried:

16. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

done that so many times hate it lol feel so stupid after :hehe:

Another one would be when ever im walking past a group of chavs or when I walk home late at night 3am+ its only a 10 minute walk from the club I work at but it awkward when walking past anyone sober and drunk like had this one guy calling me richard behind me :eeek: I didn't stop to say anything or to see whats wrong.Another one is where there was this person walking past at the bottom of the street then they stopped for some reason I just turned round and walked the other way.

when im walking behind the elderly and I pass them is awkward feel kinda guilty or rude

17. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

ROFL, no thats two different situations. It hasnt honestly happened to me but people come over all the time and they drop a bomb in the toilet and you can smell it in every room but no one says anything. I dont think its a huge deal really just kinda funny.

18. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

What about where you're hanging with this girl you know, but an attack is launched where you are. She has to go off and help her father and you're leaft to go to a creepy old mining town where the only other human left is a slightly insane Father at a church.

19. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Step away from Hl2.

When you swear infront of your grandparents!

When your left alone with friends parents for a while, dont bother me i get along with em all fine.

20. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

When you're showing this girl that you've known for a few months your car that she's never been in, and you're driving and a cop follows you for a few blocks then pulls you over.... for not having a front plate. And then you take at least 5 minutes to find the friggin insurance card because you have 4 expired ones in the glove box. Then the cop takes another 5 minutes to write you a warning about the license plate.

Wow, last saturday was awkward.