1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films B-Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by DougEdey, 14 Feb 2009.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Killers from Space is not on that list.

Fail.

[​IMG]

That's what the aliens look like. Really.

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

for real?

i think that Gloucester must be the focal point of their forthcoming invasion then! :worried:

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Next two DVDs turned up today:

Killer Clowns from Outer Space
    Jack Brooks Monster Slayer

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Wow, I'd forgotten about that film. Me & my next door neighbours watched it loads. We even named the robot their Dad made (I think he was the first uber geek I ever knew) Hector because of this film. It didn't kill us or flatten their dog into a pizza...

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is a good list! There are only 4 on the big list I haven't seen. The whole list reads like my NetFlix queue. I watch a lot of the old stuff.

Also left out the campy
    Nude on the Moon.

john

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I though Saturn 3 was a bit weird (saw it on the big screen at the time of release) but I always though that the animatronic puppet the used for the robot was simply superb.

I'm not sure if I could watch it again, I've gone back to old films too often with fond memories only to realise that due to either rose tinted specs, not knowing any better or simply a change of perspective I should have left them as happy memories as they now appear bloody terrible.

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

With you on that, happened to me many, many times over :( I have Saturn 3 on VHS, but haven't watched it in ages. It's sat alongside Silent Running. I haven't watched that for years either, but that's because I know I'll blub for days. If that film doesn't leave you sobbing you're all wrong inside imo.

8. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    -starring jeff goldblum

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Gawd, yes!! I'd forgotten about Buckaroo Banzai, its either a film that you'll hate for being such a confusing mess of weird unconnected scenes or you'll get it straight away and love every minute of it - I loved it.
    Another love it or hate film that springs to mind is Big Trouble in Little China but I'm sure its already been mentioned. I will always remember watching it on a beer 'n' video night many, many years ago and most folk in the company loved it but one guy sat stoney faced all the way through. He didn't laugh once, he didn't smile once, he didn't even think about smiling throught the whole film. I think you can guess his opinion of it, still you can't please everyone.

Now then, does anyone out there remember Shlock? I'll give you a clue, it was the first film by John Landis - and if you don't know who he is then shame on you.

But then again shame on him as he started making crap films about the same time John Carpenter lost the plot, a great pity to see good talent gone to waste.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Fixed that for you :thumb:

11. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

ah, thanks. its just that i have to laugh at Jeff Goldblum movies, no matter what kind of movie it is.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Loved Killer Clowns! Absolutely brilliant. Jack Brooks was entertaining, but not the best though, I'll have to see what I get next this week

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not strictly a B-movie, but Planet Terror is great cheesy fun. Deathproof is awesome, although not a B movie at all tbh.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You mean like "Earth Girls are Easy"?
    In which his co-stars were Geena Davis (who he was married to for a while), Damon Wayans, and was also Jim Carey's film debut. :hip:

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Some manage to stand the test of time though. Star Trek (The Original Series, not that crap that came later) still sucks me right in. And Alien is as awesome as the first day I saw it. Epic, pure epic.

Right there with you. But it is when you read the original story (the film is quite different) that you are really reduced to a sobbing wreck.

The original story is set near Jupiter, not Saturn. There is still the eco-warrior theme but more importantly, also a First Contact with an alien species. The story is that the main character is recalled to Earth but refuses to go partly because he wants to save what ecology is left on his ark, but also because he has detected this alien signal and is trying to pursue it to make First Contact. Earth is not interested in this --they want him to return. He refuses and to evade the authorities on Earth, which send a military vessel after him, he goes into "silent running"; blacking out everything and keeping radio silence. Over time he bonds with the three robots and there's a significant scene where he takes a family snapshot with them.

In the end it is a fevered race between him catching up with the source of the alien transmissions before the authorities can catch up with him. He sends one of his little robots across the void to the alien vessel. He witnesses everything from the robot's camera pov as it manages to traverse the dark and board the alien ship. Just then the Earth military vessel manages to dock with his ship and break into the bridge and whoosh, he is incinerated.

Meanwhile the little robot finds itself face to face with the aliens (which are described as CE3K type beings). Having suddenly lost contact with the protagonist and uncertain what to do without further instructions, it reaches into its body work and produces the "family" snapshot. The film ends with it holding up the picture for the aliens to see: the main protagonist, smiling in the camera surrounded by his three little robots.

16. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Bet there's not a dry eye on the forums now. Nexxo you sentimental old devil.:D

17. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

RE Silent Running, accoding to IMDB, what your referring to as the original story was actually the original script for the film and this is what the novelisation is based on. I think they rejigged the script (as they usually do) and trimmed a few things to help keep the budget from getting out of control.

18. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Fortress
    Fortress 2
    Circuitry Man (and 2)
    Omega Doom

Anything with Rutger Hauer lol