1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Back into gaming - which GPU/s for 4K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 22 Sep 2017.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Hi guys. I haven't posted on the forum for sometime as I have been out of gaming due to other commitments. However, this looks set to change. I still have all my old equipment, including a large 4K monitor, but sold my GTX 980s a while back, therefore require a new card (or cards) to resume gameplay.

I have done the research and am struggling to decide between a pair of 1080s in sli or a single 1080ti. Sli'd 1080s obviously offer more outright grunt and I have never had any problems with SLI in the past (I have used it over many generations of card). However I am unfamiliar with how current games support multi GPU setups and if with the increasing capability of a single card means SLI is becoming a dying trend?

I would be keen to hear the thoughts of other forum members...

Many thanks in advance.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Personally I'd go with the best single card you can afford.

3. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Long time multi Gpu user, older games are still as good as they were for mgpu, new games not so much, so i'd get the strongest single (though I'd still buy two for old games myself) but all current Nvidia cards are ancient, can't be long for next gen, I am holding out until the conference in Oct, id hate to drop 1.4k on gpus for next gen to be announced 2wks later.

4. dead beat

Thanks for the responses. I have now bought a 1080ti and it seems to be doing the goods so far.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Next gen are due Q1 next year: around ~6 months from now. JSH 'confirmed' in the NV Q2 investor conference call that Pascal will see this year through. Volta is being made on 12nm and that's not due to scale until next year. Hynix are also making GDDR6 available in Q1, and has previously alluded to an Nvidia card in a PR earlier this year.

6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it's taking that long, I suppose when you don't have any competition there is no rush.

7. dead beat

Yes, well I decided that I wasn't prepared to wait, so took the plunge in the end. I've been in the game long enough now to be used to taking a hit when the upgrade bug strikes.

8. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I may do the same, I'm using an RX 480 at the moment, great little card but non native on a big 4k isn't pretty, I've been sticking to less demanding games, I'm not in a rush, machine has been in this state for ages whilst I catch up on playstation backlog but have done the CPU for my video stuff recently so I'm itching to stretch it in some games but it'll just sit waiting for GPU right now. :D