1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backends for photo studio website

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by TekMonkey, 3 Apr 2008.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

A friend of mine wants to put together a website for his home photo studio. I'm wondering what sort of backends are available for putting together something like that?

Preferably something free or open-source would be cool. But some specific functionality like being able to provide passcodes to customers to view private photos would be good (although I guess something like that wouldn't be too difficult to hack together later).

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Gallery2 is a great and incredibly flexible backend for the photo section. It can easily go into "embedded" mode, where it becomes part of another site. As for the front end, I'm not as sure - however, Firehed and will. are both very knowledgeable on backends for this type of work.

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Oh the choices ;) There are so incredibly many ways of doing what you're asking. I think he may need to define a little closer what exactly he is looking for.
    Password protected areas is pretty fundamental I think so it shouldn't cause too much trouble. The biggest problem for me with most of these photo gallery systems is that they quickly become cluttered and difficult to navigate and use.

If he for instance is looking for something he can dump his pictures on at home as well there are several NAS solutions that include some really cool photo management functions. Try and have a look at the Synology Disk Station which does a really cool job at serving pictures and creating thumbs and managing logins etc.

If you want something to upload to a web host I might suggest using a combination of Wordpress or other CMS system and a gallery plugin.
    Personally I've found that Wordpress + NextGEN Gallery does exactly what I want and is very intuitive to use compared to many other such systems. I haven't checked if you can password protect pages in wordpress (Did now: http://faq.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/post-options-post-password/ ). Which means that I can password protect galleries as I please :) Pretty cool.

Let me know if I can help with the wordpress nextgen in case that's what you end up choosing.

Else there is Gallery2 as Da Dego suggested. Then there's Coppermine Photo Gallery which is very comprehensive. Both of these are easily implemented into most cms systems (via existing "plug-ins").

Finally there's 4images which is probably the best looking out of the box and really easy and intuitive to both administer, use and install.

Good hunting! ;)

4. rcarpent

rcarpent New Member

It depends on what you mean by 'back-end.' The replies above have covered the software that would be good for managing content. However, this doesn't really address the actual web-site itself. Is your friend looking to have it hosted commercially, or does he want to host it himself? If he goes with the former, then a)it's going to be a paid service, and b)he won't have to deal with a lot of the system administration himself. If he wants to host it himself, it'd a)be free except for registering the domain name, and b)he'd have to deal with setting up his own web server, etc. The latter, I would say, would point him in the direction of an Ubuntu Linux box, running the Apache web server. Apache is by far the most popular web server (something like 70-80% I think?); second is Microsoft's IIS service, but that comes as part of Windows Server, which is obviously not free. Apache allows for very fine-grained control, and running it on a Linux box makes installing things like PHP, Perl, JavaScript, etc. fairly straightforward. However, he would either need to be reasonably versed in Linux, or have a friend/hire someone to manage it for him. There's no way faster to screw up a server than in Linux editing the configuration files directly (w/o backups, of course).

If your friend wants to have it hosted, I'd recommend BlueHost (http://www.bluehost.com) - there are other competitors equally as good, but I've worked with BlueHost personally. The nicest thing, besides being assured uptime, customer service, etc., is that it can automatically install a number of popular web programs: MovableType/Wordpress, calendaring, project management, etc. The other nice thing is that you can get SSH access to their servers, allowing for much easier management (for someone familiar with Linux, once again).

As for doing it 'himself' - I'm more than willing to be a reference, and there are millions of tutorials, etc., plastered all over the web about how to get a Linux box set up for hosting web sites.

If this was what you were looking for, hope it helps. If not... oh bother =)

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Ah, I'm dumb, did not mean hardware backend, just software... i.e. a website engine.

I've messed around with gallery2, coppermine, and 4images in the past, but I was wondering how easy it was to use them in this type of fashion rather than simply photo gallery software.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Gallery2 is quite extensive in this regard. One of the leading theme makers, Pedro Gilberto, has a website based off of it that I think shows off how suited it is for that type of purpose.

I've not fooled around with 4images or coppermine much, but neither truly fit my bill. I switched to gallery2 for its security and flexibility.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

IMHO nothing beats a custom solution (which don't have to be hard)