1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows backin up USB thumb drive automaticaly? help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by The cheapskate, 19 Dec 2004.

1. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

not sure were 2 put this, but i reckon heres as a good a place as any,i take course work with from 6th-form computers 2 home, and back all the time on flash memorie, changing and saving work all the time 2 this little usb thing, however, i had a nasty scare were i lost it. :worried:

lucky i found it, really other wise id be ****** :waah:

but it set me wondering is there any way i can get windows XP {serv pack 2} to back up the drive 2 a set folder as soon as i conect the drive? would take all the worry out of it :D

any one got any great ideas :rock: ??

cheers people :D

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You could try out LIUtilities Winbackup. Not sure if you can set up an as-soon-as-you-plug-it-in thing but it's pretty good so it may be possible.

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Well, if your handy with batch files you could build a little batch file that copies the contents to a folder on your HD. Would take 5 minutes to write at most. Then toss it in the autorun.ini on the root of the drive - this file runs everytime its stuck in a PC. Batch file would look something like this:

@echo off
    copy *.* c:\backup\.

If you dont want to be prompted to overwrite files you could add this line BEFORE the copy command.....

del c:\backup\*.*

This would delete your OLD backuped files before it copied the new ones over.

Im not sure there is a program to do this but you can do it yourself no problems.

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I imagine any program that would automatically back up a HDD, could also back up a USB drive.

5. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

Problem is programs that automatically backup hard drives, assume it's always plugged in. His thumbdrive is obviously not.

Not to mention that an automatic backup would be a process that would continously run. The vanity in me assumes that everyone is like me, in that processes running all the time that I don't need, kinda irks me.

I like the idea of just making a .bat file on the thumbdrive.

This will sound dumb, but I seriously recommend going into disk manager with that drive plugged in, and make that drive turn off write combining. Otherwise if you plug it in incorrectly and it removes itself, you could be FUBAR with that .bat running.

:clap:

6. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

Never heard of a program
    But you can write a batch script or I can write you a c++ program that does it easily

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I'm only guessing here but can't you put an autorun file on the pen like cd-roms and have it perform a batch file. I don't have my pen with me to try it out.

8. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Dude, did you even read the posts above yours before engaging your brain. This is exactly what I said already....... :duh:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I know, why dont you write a batch file to... oh wait

:duh:

:p /sarsasm :D

Poor Aaron.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

copy DRIVELETTER:\* C:\backup /Y

that's the line you need. and yes, bung it in an autoplay file...

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Nope I didn't see your autorun bit. But hey we all can't be perfect. I quick read most posts if they are more than two lines to be honest and a pint had my name on it in the pub.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
Tags: