1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Backpack Europe - Site Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Xenith, 5 Mar 2009.

1. Xenith

Xenith New Member

I'm planning on going backpacking through Europe with a couple friends. It probably won't happen until summer 2010, (Ill be 20 at that time) but never too early to start planning right?:D I'm gonna go for at least a month, maybe a week or so more. I figure I'll start out in Ireland or England. I want to definitely go through France (Paris, Nice, Lyon), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Germany (Berlin), Switzerland (Alps), Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome), and Spain(Madrid). Since this is a UK site, I'm curious as to what major places you think I should see. I'm wondering about what major cities and lesser known cities i should see. Also, what would be the best transportation besides walking, train?

(Im from the US btw)

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

If you figure one days travel between cities (check out, get to the train, ride the train, find somewhere to stay, check in, shower=one day), you have already lost 1 to 1 1/2 weeks right there. And you need at least 2-3 days for major cities, if not 4 for the biggies (paris, london, relix's place, etc). Also, make sure you add a day every now and then to wash clothes, call home, send emails, blog, upload. So don't over plan.

Train is still the best for doing this; with walking, biking and taxis as needed in the cities. But most will have a tram or metro of some sort, with buses filling the voids.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

If you really want to make the most out of a backpacking trip you really need to spend several months, I'm guessing this is a once in a lifetime thing and you're not really going to be going back to Europe anytime soon? I wouldn't consider spending less than a weekend in a major location, problem is if you spend only 1 day in a city you have to miss some sights, and cram in as much as possible, and it really doesn't make it less enjoyable when you're rushing everything.

Be sure to take historical tours and the like, IMO, the best way to experience and learn about a place is to find out about it's history. I went round Cardiff Castle with my girlfriend a while back and having the tour made it much more enjoyable (might be a lot to do with the fact the tour guide was awesome).

4. Xenith

Xenith New Member

wow, i didnt really think about how long it'd take to travel to and from major cities.. I think at most i could stay a month and a half there.

This probably will be a once in a lifetime thing, which is why I want to squeeze in as must sites as i can. I do know what you mean about needing at least a couple days in the major cities. I went to Italy 3 years ago and I was in the major cities about 3 days each, and i still wanted to stay longer.

I guess I'll have to try and narrow the cities down...

5. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

As far as Spain is concerned, I could hook you up with a few people in Madrid, but their grasp of English is a bit limited TBH.

There is also this amazing little town about 15 miles South of the French border with amazing views, great history, and THE best steak I have ever had in my entire life. Period. The name of the town is Ainsa (or L'Ainsa) and there are a few tour buses that go up there, but it's really more of a well kept secret.

I'll put it this way: I traveled the northern half of Spain for a couple weeks, made it to nearly all the major (and quite a few minor) cities, but this is the only place I know I have to go back to.

BTW, looks like hotels in the city are around 60USD a night, although it's more of a layover/day trip due to how small the city is.

6. Xenith

Xenith New Member

i looked at some pictures from L'Ainsa and that does look like an amazing place! definitely will have to add that in, thanks!

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

with out an OCD plan of attack, a day of travel between cities is the norm. 9 cities and one day of rest, boom, your 10 days have vanished. Throw in some contacts and a few bottles of red and even that plan is stretched to 12 days. lol, trust me. I was your age once and traveled every year for 4 years through out Europe. and that was only the time away from my family.

Unless you plan to the hour, expect to spend 4-6 hours on a train even with high speed ones. figure one hour on each side to get to and from the station (tram/bus/ticketing). and another hour to get to and from your room (check in/check out/bellhop). 4+4 is 8, and that is a day on the road. an hour for breakfast, one for dinner. that's 10. another for a shower and sex=11. so that is a full day for me.

you are traveling with a companion, right? I mean you are 20........

8. Xenith

Xenith New Member

haha, not my companion no, well probably not, probably just going to be going with a couple best friends so i can rule out the hour of sex lol

thanks for mapping out what a day of traveling would be like tho, good to know!

any ideas of great places to see, cities or monuments?

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Bath is quite a beautiful city, and so is Bristol if you find the right places, I remember my parents took me on a tour of the older parts of Bristol when I was younger, seeing all the colonial era buildings that had survived, taking a tour round the SS Great Britain and a tour along the river in a little ferry.

For France, Le Mont-Saint-Michel is a great place to go, not really been to Paris before (IMO the capital city of a country is one of the worst places to go if you want to experience the country, but they do usually have some the highest concentration of famous attractions).

We used to go down to the south of France quite a lot as a kid, although my memory is like a sieve so I've forgotten a lot of it. However, one thing I do remember is kayaking down the Dordogne for a day, stopping off in various locations on the way like La Roque-Gageac and Bergerac (highly recommend Bergerac and a little town to the south of it called Eymet and St Foy la Grand). Also spent a weekend in Sainte-Mère-Église which was really nice, had a tour round a museum about the paratroopers who landed there before the D-day landings to secure the bridges in the region.

Problem with France is you really need a car to get around to the cool little towns.

10. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

Visit Middlesbrough, its class up here in England.

England - Honestly visit London if you want the Museums and stuff are great and free, but I personally think its a bit of a hole. York's nice as is Bath when I went there although it was only for a few hours. You might enjoy Cornwall if its in the summer busy vibrant beautiful country side.

France - I know little about it tbh Paris is meant to just be rammed full of tourists.

Holland - Suppose theres Amsterdam if thats your thing its certainly different if you go just to look....although I didnt think it was fantastic, I much prefered driving through Holland as a whole when I was going to Germany. Personally though beautiful country from what I seen and I'm really wanting to explore more so I'd deffo move that up your list.

Germany - Munichs meant to be good although when I went to the nurburgring I really loved the feel and scenery around there, really beautiful, so if you can go even if you cant drive I suggest you do. I'd get there before the new theme park and stuff cause then the place is just gonna be a dive.

Spain - Barcelona when I went there was great bit expensive but could I also suggest North western spain meant to be great, really beautiful etc.