1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Backup Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TeenGeek, 24 Sep 2012.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

I realize that backing windows up to an internal hard drive is not the most ideal setup, but i have a 256GB ssd, and a 3TB HDD i have been backing up windows to the HDD, and it worked fine, until i started putting miscellaneous files on the HDD. does anyone know if i need to have an empty hard drive to backup windows?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What program are you using to back up - just windows own program? Also, what problems exactly are you having - is the backup failing or not running at all?

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I expect that he has realised that the backup drive being inside the machine means if the psu went pop or something worse he could potentially lose his ssd and his backup drive in 1 go, where as having an external backup drive is a much better option.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'd agree - I back my server and my main rig up to external hard drives (some of which I take out of my house and stash at work just in case :thumb:)

5. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

sorry for taking so long with replying, i have been very busy with school, and rowing.
    i do realize that if my PSU decides to die i am kind of S.O.L. but i still would like to back it up, because that way if i do something stupid while experimenting, and such, and kill windows i can get it up and running again without too much hassle. i am using the standard windows backup program as well. we just moved, and as soon as we get the home server up and running again, i will be backing up to that as well.

-thanks!