1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bad attitude Gamers in DotA style games?!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Abhorsen, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

First and foremost i'm an FPS man, played CoD4 for the last 2 years competitively and done well and although i've come across some ragers in my time, on the whole FPS gamers seem to be a decent bunch even the majority of CS:S kiddies once they've grown up are alright.

Recently however i've taken a break from FPS with the competitive failure of MW2 and started playing League of Legends. I've never played Dota or WoW or similar so don't know if it's just the LoL Players or the genre but they all seem so bitchy and just plain c**nts to the point where i'm now leaving LoL and going to start playing Heroes of Newerth as a few of the guys from my old CoD4 team are playing it so know what to expect.

Is this the whole genre or maybe just the game?

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My understanding is that the genre as a whole is full of elitist buggers who spend ages perfecting their tactics on the few levels etc etc, but LOL is particularly bad. I've never had anything but abuse from them and most people I know who've played LOL have said the same.

3. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Yeah i couldn't believe it, even on the forums people are just so keen to flame and troll threads. It's the first time it's made me leave a game and i'm enjoying this new Genre that i've not played before so didn't want to judge them all the same! I hope the crowd playing HoN aren't the same.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've not tried HON, but I hear it is almost the exact opposite of LOL and that a lot of people do exactly what you've just done - try LOL because it sounds better, then bounce to HON straight away.

Incidentally, did you download LOL for free or buy it?

5. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Downloaded it for free, spent £5 on DLC seen as i felt like giving something for the 10hrs i played it. I've spent like £2 of that in 50hrs gameplay.

I like the game, just can't stand the community. I think LoL looks simpler than HoN, though that may just be because the Characters seem alot more childlike and than HoN.

6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

I avoid all these type of games tbh :D

7. mjm25

mjm25 New Member

the conversation you two were having made me LOL coincidentally :D

8. Aracos

Aracos New Member

Ah the memories, I remember my first DotA game, never played it before and just randomly joined a match, within 10 seconds I was getting shouted at, sworn at and getting screamed at to leave the game, apparently you aren't allowed to spend 10 seconds choosing what character you want to use.

Yeah that's why I don't play games like that >.>

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Yeah i just wanted to expand away from my standard FPS games as FPS is stressful and sometimes when your hungover it's just not worth it :p

I'll try HoN and see if the crowd is more welcoming!

10. MacWalka

MacWalka New Member

I actually find any sort of competitive online game quite stressful unless your totally in the zone. This is good most of the time but when hungover or in a bad mood-its just painful lol.

11. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

Virtually all gaming is bad when hungover. Personally I just put my dressing gown on and go back to bed :p

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Well so far due to being a n00b i don't find these style games stressful and my alternatives when hungover are Civ4 or Champ Manager 01/02 and although i do enjoy getting Falkirk to the champions league final i do like a change :p

13. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

The local net cafe me and my friends go to are full of expat kids who are spoilt and think they own the place. There are frequent meltdowns especially from this one American kid who screams at his friends. Why are they friends with him? Seriously.

I don't understand how DotA is so addictive, you control one character on a few maps and that's about it. Oh well, different people different tastes.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I played it a bit this weekend. And yes, the community keeps shouting "WTF, n00b." a lot, and "lucker" when you kill their champion fair and square. Yes, there's tons of people calling you a kill stealer for helping them when they're clearly almost dead, and loads of people who call you a n00b because they abandoned your supporting caster in the middle of a heated battle, leaving him/her to die.
    The game is brilliant fun, though, and playable even through the rubbish lines available locally. It becomes special fun once you learn to laugh at all the rage kiddies. I've played a good few games now (15-20), and there have been occasions where the rager on our team quit, and then the team went on to win the game... it's moments like that where I laugh at the kids.

15. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I used to play DotA for a year or two a while ago, but the community is plagued with either folk who leave after dying once (and thus imbalancing the whole game) or people who just act like completely spoiled children (maybe many of them are!).

Recently tried out HoN for a bit of nostalgia but found that you just get the same kind of players, I went into a lane with another player and simply got "fuk u n00b"... sigh

An addictive style of game, but really not worth it as the community is about 50% of the kind of person I just described.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

While playing LOL this weekend, I also got abuse... lots of it. The matchmaking system really should consider player level more, as it's no fun being dropped in with a bunch of lvl22 people when you just started your first game. it's no fun for them either.
    I did however find some of the players to be really helpful towards new palyers, helping with character builds, giving hints, explaining game-slang, etc. Those people are also the people that I ended up playing well with...

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Was a pleasant surprise to see this thread revived!

I am still playing LoL, infact it's my game of choice now, i've now pumped many more hours into it and can say that although there are flamers you do lose them as you get higher up the ELO scale (Win Ratio / Skill Level rating).

Once you have passed the majority of the flamers it becomes a different game, you get less of the hour long slogs and more 30min tactical battles.

The game is slowly becoming more polished since the intial Bit-tech review but i don't think it will be ready for a revisit by Bit-Tech (They said they'd consider it..) until proper ranked games are implemented and the first Season commences.

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just need to get a proper and stable internet connection, then I'll play more often. 3G is pure fail for gaming, and waaaaay too expensive. Too bad we're the ONLY country on the planet where ADSL got DOUBLED IN PRICE this year.

19. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Leaving FPS games that was your downfall...............:thumb:

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Member

Haha your quite right :p