1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Bad Company 2 Pre-order

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hamfunk, 25 Jan 2010.

1. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Having pre-ordered the game but finding myself even more impatient than usual I acquired the game by other means so I could have a go at the single player campaign while I wait for my retail copy to arrive. My word they have made a thing of true beauty, everything feels so tangible and quite intense. You can't duck behind a wall to gather your thoughts because in 5 seconds that wall will be rubble so your forced ever onwards in an orgy of head shots and blasting a path with your grenade launcher.

The multiplayer beta was superb and it will dominate my online time for sure but this single player campaign is a work of art, something I truly didn't expect from DICE.

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I was going to torrent it as well since I have it on steam pre-order (wonder when I can pre-load it). But the speed was so slow that it would finish after the release.

Can't wait to give single player a go. Keep in mind there's going to be a launch day patch with a ton of fixes.

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I'm not having any issues at all though, the full games codebase is more than 6 weeks newer than the beta client, in fact I'd say it's the most stable and well tuned game I have seen on the PC in years. Few things I'd like to tweak but nothing major.

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

It is awesome! Just got my copy today!
    But I am confused...what is Soap Mactavish doing in my squad?
    And there is quite an obvious reference to one of the missions in MW2, you hear it in one of the cutscenes, I wont spoil it for you ;)

5. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

ohh im bored wish i had it, but i got a email this morning saying it ha been posted so will hopefuly get it by tomorrow yay, i better not have to wait for the 5th release ate :(

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Anyone know if you will be able to activate your retail copy on steam or not?

7. Simon bridgeford

Simon bridgeford i'm a pc

8. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Its definitely wrong. I think though that its because initially the release date was set at the 4th of March (noticed in some of the youtube videos it said that) and they havn't updated.

9. Simon bridgeford

Simon bridgeford i'm a pc

hope my copy comes tommorow then( it was dispatched from play.com this morning)

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

My copy has just arrived, think this weekend may be very bad company 2 themed! \o/

11. J!n

im still waiting for my damn posty :`(

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Unlocks in 10 hours :D

13. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Trying to fix my vets status so I can get a garand at the mo. :s

14. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 What's a Dremel?

Got mine today, had quick go online, so far im very pleased with it.

my ID :Deathbringer67

15. J!n

The postman came and then left some bills or somthing in a brown envelope but no game :grr: death im going to add you tomorrow and kick your ass now :nono:

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

when does it unlock for uk timezone people?

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

18. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 What's a Dremel?

Mines working online, is it per-downloads that arent working online till 12am, Added you to my friends Jin.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Bought/downloaded/installed from Steam last night, unfortunately Punkbuster didn't feel like working correctly (said I was running XP, then NT... I have Win7) so no multiplayer access.

The single player, though, honestly didn't impress me. Felt like I was playing Call of Duty: Battlefield. Even though your character is not squad leader the three NPCs follow you around like little slaves with little to no individual thoughts, every triggered event is quite obvious because the combat stops and the indicator on the map shows you exactly where it starts thus making ambushes woefully predictable and the general gameplay less immersive, and finally every single enemy seems to have the sole intent of shooting you and only you. This isn't a complaint about the difficulty of being the only target, more about how it totally ruins the immersion, there's something completely unrealistic about an enemy off in the distance trying to snipe with a shotgun while my squad is right next to him and posing far easier targets. At every moment where you think you can finally look around you and feel like you're in the middle of a real battlefield you get some annoying paramilitary guy in a cowboy hat shooting right your past squad mates to kill you alone, reminding you that you are the sole force behind the operation as a one man army who happens to have three useless bros following him night and day.

That said, multiplayer seems like it will be amazing. Though the AI is tedious and quite simply retarded, the combat mechanics feel very smooth and polished. The guns handle very well and seem to each be unique and tailored towards a specific playstyle with loads of tactical distinction between each weapon type. The destructive terrain feels a little played-up to gather hype, but it really is a fun mechanic and seems like it'll be a whole new level of fun with other players involved. Vehicles also follow traditional Battlefield style, being very rewarding, yet simply enough for any grunt to hop in and have a blast. Just listening in over Skype as my friends played a round together could sell this game to anyone, I can't recreate their sheer joy and excitement, but just imagine they'd all won the lottery. That's how much fun they were having.

This review may be a little offtopic, but consider it a teaser for those who are still waiting to play :)

20. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Decrypting right now! It went live 3 mins ago!!! Hopefully this will tide me over til BF3!!!!