1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bad cough need advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhydian, 14 Jan 2012.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I know this is not really a medical forum but it's the most active one I'm a member of.

I've recently acquired a bad cough that got worse when I went into work yesterday. I keep waking up and last night I woke up coughing and unable to breath due to mucus blocking my airways completely I had to force myself to try and throw up to breath.

I've been unable to contact my GP and have only expired amoxicillin and a tiny bit of cough syrup left.

Does anyone have any advice to help as I'm really not sure what over the counter treatments I should purchase and my GP is only open for an hour today so getting an on the spot appointment may be impossible.

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If you live in the UK try nhs direct on 08454647 or try them chemist they are usually very helpful for me. I'm afraid I don't feel qualified to help more than that

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the number, I will give them a call.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I had this type of cough over new year although not nearly as bad as you say you have. I took Benylin Mucus Cough syrup and put my head over a bowl of hot water with vapour rub mixed in. Do see a doctor though, you sound pretty bad.

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Doctor, stat.

6. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

doc +1

do you smoke?

7. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

No but I'm in a house with smokers most the day so just as bad. I also have suffered from asthma in the past.

Back to work again today for another 7 hours of trying to avoid coughing in public.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2012
  8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I had something similar about 4 das ago it's going around I believe I was coughing so bad I could,nt catch my breath and almost threw up

It should pass but the only piece of mind you will get is from going to the doc

Mine has passed and I'm only coughing to clear the last of it

9. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

That's pretty bad, you should move to live with non smokers

10. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

My tip, avoid the vet with the gun :D

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I also suggest a doctor (contact Nexxo for further info :D) and tell the rest of them what's happening, that you've suffered from asthma in the past, and not to smoke around you.

Have a nice day.

12. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Yep. I suffer from asthma. I have long periods where i no longer need to take medication, but occasionally when I come down with a cold, my asthma gets worse as well. If you still have any asthma medication, I would take it just as you used to.

Make sure the stuff is in date, though.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Firstly, there is no such thing as "asthma in the past" - it's not a condition you can be cured of, it's just one that goes in to a sort of remission as your lung capacity exceeds the threshold at which you are symptomatic.

So, if you get a nasty chest infection, smoke etc. then you can artificially drop your lung capacity below that threshold and the asthma symptoms come back. It will also happen over time, as lung volume increases up until roughly round your 40s and then comes back down as you get older and in to your 50s onwards. This is why there are a lot of older people who were "chesty" as a child now being picked up as asthmatic.

OP, you need to go see a doctor and do some basic lung function tests.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wrong kind of doctor [IIRC]

but +1 for go see your local quack, even if it is to be told 'yep... you've got a cough...'

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It can be worth going to the local Chemist/Pharmacy and asking to speak with the Chemist on duty. It is certainly faster than going to the doctors.

16. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

bit of an update.

Got some cough medicine and vaporub which seemed to help sooth the coughing.

Went to docs today and basically said that there is an infection and he believes it has brought back the symptoms of my asthma so prescribed inhalers and other medicine to help clear it.

So thanks for the advice guys you really helped on this one :) <3

17. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Get well soon man.

And then mod.

Modding always makes the pains and aches go away.

18. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Just for peoples info of a good Cough Medicine in general if you can get it from your Chemist, is St Lukes Cough Mixture, whilst I know the OP has been sorted and will hopefully get well soon, just thought I would mention this if anyone else has a bad cough