1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad "For Sale" transaction...

Discussion in 'General' started by Zephyr, 12 Jun 2005.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Right. I'm not sure if this is considered "proper" or whatnot, but I've got no other choice. I'm out of options.

Almost 2 months ago, I made a deal with someone from these forums, th3madc0w. He had posted a watercooling kit in the for sale forums, and i was interested.

So, I contacted him, we settled on a price, and that was that. I ordered the plate I would need to go with this kit, another $30 I'm out, and PayPal'd him his money. 2 weeks later, still nothing. So I email him...and no response. Another week later, I get an email from him saying "he was at the lake and his dad said he shipped the package and didn't." Said the package was in the mail now. So, I emailed him saying that it's no biggie, though a little frusterating, and asked for a tracking number. Since then, I've received nothing more from him. I've tried both PM on the forums and his email. Finally got sick of waiting and filed a complaint with PayPal.

The way PayPal handles refunds is it gives a certain amount of time for the non-filing party to respond. Well, he never responded, and I received an email from PayPal that said I would get my monies back. Then I received one that said he couldn't be contacted, and basically that there was nothing more they can do.

So great. Now I can't contact him, PayPal can't do anything, and I'm screwed basically. Here is my last effort. Post history says he posted in the Modding forum 2 days ago, so I know he's still active here. This is just an account of what's happened in my transaction with him, and a warning not to buy anything from him. That and hoping that making this public will make him do the right thing and either refund my money or send me the damned kit :blah:

Still wondering what my next step will be, too. Any advice appreciated.

2. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

Thnx for the advise man.. how much money did you loose (if you haven't got it back yet)? :grr:

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

$110. Not a whole lot of money, but certainly enough to not want to throw away :miffed:

(tbh, I'd be fighting over $20 :p)

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well i would have to say that really sucks you got conned to pay and didn't receive your items.

Is their no way at all you can find out his identity or take him to court ... or whatever ...

This is just another of these hundreds of cases I keep hearing from people that they're been tricked online ... this is why I don't like transacting money unless I know the person's address and contact details. I'm sure people would argue this can easily be prevented but I would stay away from online deals with strangers.

EDIT: Oh btw Zephyr I don't think $20 $1 $400 matters the fact is you were tricked by this guy online and he owes you money or the items and I think you should do something about this. I hope you find this idiot and hunt him down with a sniper rifle :clap: :D

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Last December I made a deal on a 40GB HDD from an Irish guy, he said that he posted it, but I never got it, so I emailed and PM'd him and he still didn't reply. In february I emailed again, no reply. Because I paid by cheque, I had his address so decided to write to him threatening to contact the police. Quite convienience because I got a friend who's uncle is a policeman in Co. Antrim, Ireland, just where this guy lived!

Then about 2 months ago I got an unexpected parcel with the HDD in it along with a letter saying that this forum member died on a night out on Dec 31st 2004. I felt a bit guilty bombarding him with emails, but what I don't understand that he was posting on the forums in february. A mystery to be solved I guess.

But if you have this guys address, write to him and threaten to call the police - it is your right! But don't threaten him with harm though! You should be able to get his address somewhere in the paypal transaction.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

His address is really what I need. I can't seem to find it through PayPal, and a people search doesn't turn up anyone at his forum-given location of Paris, TN (although there are a couple Tennesee hits). I thought about small claims court, and I think that it would be the best solution. Not only is it a legal way to get my money back, but it's a huge hassle for him (him having to fly to the court where I filed and such), and would probably end in him just paying me. This is my last effort before taking that step, however (and also filing an internet fraud charge with the FBI, tbh). If this doesn't work, I'm definentally going the legal route :)

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Similar thing happened to me once over a stick of ram (about £15). Ever since then I make sure I only deal with forum members who have a high post count and have been around a while (so they don't suddenly dissapear) and anything expensive I ask for e-mail / msn contact.

Unfortunatly dealing on the forums is always going to involve some risk.

8. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe: same...

if i was you just keep this up and try keep contact... and you will get your money back *hopefully*

i nearly lost £105 on ram from ebay... they said it was kingston of course it was oviously not when i recieved it shipped from hong kong... finally got my money back about 3 weeks later :hehe: and he gave me an extra £ than what i payed ontop of p&p so i made money and he lost out a little, aswell as ripping the heatsinks of an bodging them back together... :dremel:

9. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

That sucks tbh dude ive spent over £200 on these forums, but always worry about people just buggering of with my cash. I had a Google on his name he’s registered with mp3 forums
    Code:
    th3madc0w
    12-19-2004, 02:15 AM
    I’m in paris, have a computer store here, would love to host a meet sometime if anybody's interested
    linky

Hope you get your stuff or cash back

10. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Had a browse through his posts, and seems he owns a computer shop...Looked at his pictures, and noticed there photobucket, and he always posts the one of his cool computer store005.jpg....so using the link and changing it to a... :eek: different number gave me the store front picture -->

[​IMG]

Theres his stores name and telephone number... its a public shop so posting the numbers alright, as its not personal :)

731-333-4188 / 731-644-0100 (Incase hes watching this thread and chooses to take the photobucket pic down (of which ive saved).

[​IMG]

From that Telephone number I get - Westel Communications - (731) 644-0100 - 48 Elroy Dr, Springville, TN 38256

Meh, that should help (puts out the pipe and takes the flatcap off)

- M@

Not promising this info's correct, but its his pictures, which link the phonenumber, and the phonenumber via google to his address, so should be correct..

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

@Zephyr, much as I sympathise, the FS forums do come with a warning that trading is entirely at your own risk. We cannot control, enforce or vouch for any trades that go on there. We cannot arbitrate. We certainly cannot have the forums descend into all-out "you ripped me off!" -- "No I didn't, you ripped me off!" wars.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Aye, certainly understood. This was st my last chance to do something before taking legal action and read...lazy :worried:.

Oh, and M[at] and Shadow, you rock :p. I'll give that computer store a ring tomorrow, get some info :). If that doesn't work, I file small claims court.

13. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Wow, this is AMAZING what search results that google can turn up ...

But I guess you got lucky he had a website and had pictures of his shop with a number, what an excellent coincidence ... now you can tell him how much of an idiot he is lmao :clap:

14. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I see another p-p-p-powerbook coming on :D

15. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

this thread is great, I love internet Sherlock Holmes style threads...keep up well updated!

16. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

lol, excellent work! :rock:

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

"48 Elroy Dr, Springville, TN 38256", but why does the sign above the door say 208, not 48?

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Well, I just called that number and got the machine. So I left him a message, we'll see if he gets back to me :)

19. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

It's probably a complex and the store is at Suite 208 at that address.

20. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

You shoulda surprised him, now he's expecting you....