1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux bad superblock

Discussion in 'Software' started by Woodstock, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

So i just finnised installing gentoo, and was feeling rather happy as i rebooted, untill....
    * Checking root filesystem
    fsck.ext3:No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda2:
    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contain ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), the the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsk with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

*Filesystem coult't be fixed :(

give root password for maintenance

so i tried the suggested alternate superblock and get the exact same message (even suggesting to try the same superblock

so arr ah yeah, whats happened

2. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Just a little question, are you sure that the system is looking at the correct partition? Try booting from a live distro and examine the disks on the system using that.

Andy

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Reboot from the install cd, fsck the partition (unmounted).

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

the partitioning scheme is
    /dev/sda1 ext2 /boot
    /dev/sda2 ext3 /
    /dev/sda2 ntfs /mnt/vista
    /dev/sda4 extended partition
    /dev/sda5 ext3 /home
    /dev/sda6 swap

and i run fsck, and it came back /dev/sda2: clean, 224558/2445984 files, 582945/4882432 blocks
    rebooted and got the same error

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Your grub.conf should be:
    Code:
    title Whatever :)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /<kernel name> root=/dev/sda2

If that is correct, reboot from the install cd, chroot (as in the manual) and do
    Code:
    revdep-rebuild
    If that doesn't help, do (in chroot)
    Code:
    emerge -euva system
    (it will take long) reboot to check if it works, if not, rereboot into install cd, chroot and do
    Code:
    emerge -euva world
    Also, are you sure you compiled your chipset drivers IN your kernel, and not as a module?

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

the grub.conf is the same exempt wouldnt work with root=/dev/sda2 so i swapped it for /dev/hda2... i should have mentioned that is is an ata drive, and that is amd64. the tried revdep-rebuild and got an error about it not being a bash command, tried the other two to success, and as for the chipset driver in the kernel i dont have a clue how can i check, could it be fixed without a full reinstall

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Now wait, is it an PATA (IDE) drive or an SATA drive? PATA = /dev/hd* and SATA = /dev/sd*

I based myself on your partitioning layout (you listed) and concluded (due to the sda) that you have an SATA disk.

/me confused

To check it, reboot from cd, enter the chroot, and do the kernel config again ( cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig) If you change anything don't forget to compile your kernel and modules and copy it to /boot ;)

Make sure you included your IDE chipset drivers in the kernel.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

it is as far as i know a pata drive (laptop) but all linux distros/live cds ive tried make it show up as /dev/sda, appartley its quite common thing to happen now

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Weird, mine don't ;)

But anyway, I think you have incorrect chipset drivers...

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

woohoo it lives, you were right it was to to with chipset drivers in the kernel, im so confused now thou... everything tells me its a pata drive but to make it work i actually have to disable pata support and enable ata suppport under sata (something to do with having a combined pata/sata chip i think, luckily i stumbled across someone else who had the same problem

edit: new problem as its booting

*dhcp
    *network interface eth0 does not exist
    *Please verify hardware ot kernel module
    *ERROR: cannot start netmount as net.eth0 could not start

but according to this it is supported out of the box, lspci confirms it has the same network chip as the example, asus fj3p (which i have)

edit 2: got the driver now just hangs at dhcpcd

Last edited: 31 Jan 2008
  11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Couldn't you just use an initrd to load the modules instead of compiling them in. I can't remeber if mine are modules or not tbh so i could be wrong.

Can you disable dhcp for eth0 till your at a terminal then run dhclient and see if that gets you any further.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Why should you use a (complex) initrd if you can just compile it in and boot from your kernel straight away? Compiling it in is faster and more secure (and the preferred method).

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Do you not use initrd at all then? I must admit i toyed with the idea of a kernel with the boot drivers installed but in the end went the way of initrd (i think) I suppose it means i only need one kernel for all jobs.

14. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

well i cheated at the dhcp issue, and just went static ip for now, but hit an issue with xorg config, more specifically horizontal sync rate and vertical refresh rate, i dont have a clue what they are nor do i have access to the manual

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I have never used it, except on systems with / on a softraid...

Have you tried the automatic X config? That should set it right.

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

yeah but i get another error there :duh:

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11 Server aborting
    Aborted

edit:
    now have access to the manuel and what do you know, there is no reference to either (or the monitor at all) im, thinking the best bet may be to load ubuntu on and nick off with the xorg.conf from there (that did auto work), would there be any problems doing that

edit 2:
    would it be a better idea just to nick the values and setup xorg the normal way?

Last edited: 2 Feb 2008
  17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Hmm, I checked in my xorg.conf, and I don't have those values set at all :s

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Well, im now sitting in front of a properly working gentoo. a lil annoyed that i cant find a way without using the normal .tar to put firefox 3 beta on, which leads me to a question of what exactly is an ebuild?

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Firefox 3 isn't in portage yet. But I hope the devs get it in soon.

Ebuilds are just files that tell portage what to install where and how to do it, with different versions and the likes.

And congratulations on your working Gentoo system, was it that hard? ;)

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i also hope they put firefox 3 in soon as imo its a lot better then firefox2, i was expecting that someone would have made an ebuild for it but apparently not (according to my google searching). The gentoo installer while it looks daunting and the handbook is not much better (sheer length), it was surprisingly easy exempt for the few hiccups along the way. When a package requires updating, does it need a full recompile?

Tags: