1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bad welder threatens to take car in payment

Discussion in 'General' started by Huge, 14 Sep 2011.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

+1 chances are hes not

2. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Interesting. I texted him at lunch telling him that Trading Standards had been back in touch and had informed me that because he broke a regulation introduced in 2008 the contract between us was implausible, he could even be fined for breaking it. I said I don't want to cause him this problem and would be willing to pay £200 today if both parties agreed to take the situation no further.

He replied telling me that his solicitor was now involved and if £250 wasn't in his bank by Monday I would receive a letter from them informing me that the matter was being taken further.

I assume that means one of two things. Either the threats will have to stop and all previous threats will be denied, or he's bluffing about the solicitor. If it's the first then I should be proven right and could end up paying nothing. If he's simply bluffing then I suppose nothing will change.

Thoughts?

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Easy, wait for the solicitors letter. If he's going through a real solicitor then they will have to give you a payment date. Tell the solicitor that he had caused damages and you will be taking legal advice to counter sue him for costs to rectify the damage caused.

Just tell him you look forward to seeing the letter.

BTW, how far do you think you'll see this through?

4. Huge

Huge aka Dave

If this didn't involve my family I'd take it as far as I could without spending any money. For £250 it isn't worth going further in my opinion. However, if my parents do decide they will only feel safe if I pay up, I will do.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

maybe he just really needs the money

if he's well off- forget about it.. he won't even take 200 bucks for bad work

you could point out the shoddy job to him.. show him what he did wrong.. if he can't acknowledge that.. guys a real piece of work

he should have been welding in one inch increments to keep the heat down and prevent warping.. he didn't.. he left rust! I mean he didn't bother to cut out the quarter panel or where ever he was welding and do it right

it's really simple case.. especially if all the work he did has to be redone.. legally I think you have him

Last edited: 16 Sep 2011
  6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I seriously doubt a crook like that is going to call a solicitor, and if by some chance he did, as WarrenJ posted, just wait for this letter!

Can you imagine the solicitor's face, when you send back a letter, outlining the harassment you, your family and friend have all suffered, the complaints lodged with the police and trading standards, and include some photos of the shoddy work to boot = they'd be advising their client to either repair, retract the claim, or reimburse you.

You know, it seems to me like he might be a little worried that his scare tactics haven't worked on you yet... it doesn't matter if he's bluffing about the lawyer or not, he's not bothering with any dodgy threats any more! He's desperately trying a new angle to scare you... you're stuck it out this long Huge, why give up now? He's got nothing left to try, why pay him a penny?

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Just tell him you will anticipate the letter and in the that time you will be having a PROFFESIONAL! look at the Damage! he has dealt to the car to estimate costs.

If he is bluffing a little bluffing from you to make him sweat will do the job

He does'nt have a leg to stand on he done a **** job and set you back some time by doing a clearly unproffesional job anybody that looks at the job done will tell you its been botched and is completely out of order charging for.

Don't let him push you around turn the table on him

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

Yeh wait for the letter. I think hes bluffing though, but it does sound like hes now on the back foot

9. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I think there's enough of us near south wales to come help you if you send out the call!

Legally you're bi winning though :D

10. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I'm afraid he's ended up winning. My mum is so nervous, she spent the day moving heavy objects from around the house in case they could be used to smash a window, she's exhausted. Even if I took this further like I want/should, the prospect of him still taking matters into his own hands in such a way as has been threatened is too much to leave on her shoulders. £250 is too much to pay for the welding, but not too much to pay for my mother to feel safe again.

Unfortunately that means my car, my ethics and my pocket lose out. Shame I couldn't come back with better news.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I feel for you mate but I totally agree that you need to keep your parents happy and feeling safe!

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Shame.

Sounds like that utter tool is used to this kind of response, and is merely throwing his toys out of the pram, because his "or else" threats didn't work.

Personally, I'd like to have seen it taken further than him getting what he wants.

Perhaps I'm just a psychopath for thinking this way, I would wait with baited breath for him to steal/damage/threaten my property (After installing some CCTV signs and some sneakily directed webcams) - Things can be replaced if he breaks them, and he'd have the added comfort of being carted off to a prison for his trouble.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

You can pay him the money, then take him to a small claims court still to get the money back for the bad work and damage he caused doing it to start with- photographic evidence and the testimony of a real welder should secure you victory easily, also spread the word with friends, family & anyone else it may matter too; 'avoid this guy like the plaque'. I'd also be talking to that mechanic who recommended him...

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

As a matter of interest, what details do you have for this guy - you said you've got a phone number for him. Anything else? Where did he do the work - was it at your place or did you drop the car off somewhere?

15. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Taking it further would incite a reaction from him thus putting is back were we started - intimidation. I know his name, number and bank details. I have told him I want an invoice with his business details before I make the payment so I hope to get more details soon. The work was done at his place, he did tell me where it was at the time but I didn't write it down and I forgot, I'm also having a lot of hassle with a freight company who have lost my goods and are refusing to pay out under the insurance I paid for, I let too many details on this one slip as a result. Once the money has been paid I will write it off as a lesson learnt and move on.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Paying up because your parents are worried is a good plan, but dont let it rest.

Send an email to watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/) and tell them exactly what has happened. They might pass it onto rogue traders or something like that, or do nothing at all, but its always worth perusing as much as you possibly can, as he will try and get away with it again.

Sadly, some people in this world are just shits.

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Well again, fair enough Huge, if your mum's that scared over it and unwilling to fight, then it's either pay to get rid of him, or start fighting with your parents over him.

+1

So Huge, can you help us avoid dealing with this guy! Inform us here at bit-tech of this shoddy operator's details once you get them.
    And can you also put up a pic or two of the shoddy work done, so we can see just how bad he is.

18. dactone

dactone dact-one

name and shame this w*nker !
    i feel for you and your family the bully has won . hopefully one day he will do it to the wrong person and get what he deserves .

19. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Sincerely hope you have heard the last of this. However personally I won't be surprised if the price goes up further and or you car is mysteriously stolen. Just make sure you tell the police if anything strange or unusual happens (people poking round your house etc)

Mark

sp4nky likes this.
  20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I very much doubt he would be stupid enough to do that but if he did name and shame

He would wake up very confused strapped to a lamp post in cuba

Mwhahahaha