1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BaDassumption - Photo Shoot...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dutchcedar, 8 May 2006.

1. DeKemp

DeKemp BEER.

Great job on the paint.

2. Leper_Messiah

Leper_Messiah What's a Dremel?

I think it woud look unbelivably kickass with exhaust pipes, preferably ones that shoot fire on the sides. :rock:

3. thriteenthmonkey

thriteenthmonkey What's a Dremel?

Do it !!!
    Thats not to say that it doesn't already look unbelievably kickass :rock:

4. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

How much space do you have for radiators. I'm thinking a Thermochill PA120.3 for just the three GTS's and a PA160.1 for the CPU. It has to be a dual-loop system, because there is NO way that any rad can handle the heat output. Please don't OC. You're running on the borderline already.

Brendan

5. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna guess you haven't read this whole log and will leave it at that... and I know, the whole thing's gonna melt. :D

CPU Hold Down...

ScopEDog's block has titanium brackets that wouldn't let me turn the fittings 45 degrees... so I had a left over blank that was cut for some handrail brackets for one of my clients. Its basically a 1" thick x 3-1/2" square block of aluminum with a hole in the center... I drilled four guide holes for the block and four for the mainboard...

[​IMG]

Trued up the hole to a smidge over 2" diameter and cut a 2-5/8" counter bore...

[​IMG]

Milled away the corners where it will attach to the mainboard...

[​IMG]

Milled some fillets in and rounded over the posts that were left...

[​IMG]

Polished it up a bit and there ya go... I get my 45 degree angles... :hip:

[​IMG]

I'll shorten the attaching tubes after grabbing the right tap...

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Awesome milling once again, wish I was that good (and had the equipment to do it :hehe: ).

Btw, is that polishing final, seems a bit dull, but it could just be the pic doing it's tricks? Also, I'd love to see some closeups of that part, it's funny how after starting working with alu you are most interested in parts like this :D

Janne

7. dutchcedar

^^^ I only hit it with 220 grit and a few minutes on a sisal wheel. So yeah, it'll probably be on the list for polishing. :D

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ah, that explains it, my eye is getting pretty good at seeing how alu pieces look :hehe:

Are you going to polish the parts of the waterblock also, they just scream at you to do it, lol.

Anyways, great work again, that waterblock mounting piece puts pretty much any other similar solution to shame (at least the factory made parts...).

Janne

9. G69T

G69T CNC Modder

Great, great and great work dutchcedar. :clap:

Your mod is one of my favorite mods!! :thumb:

10. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Nice mod, gave me a few ideas about solutions to problems I've been wrestling with on the design of my own casemod. (Time to fire up Solidworks!)

Keep up the amazing work!

11. dutchcedar

Cerberus goes bling bling...

I couldn't cut scopEDog's spacers... just couldn't do it... 'cause I thought, "What if I screw 'em up?" So I made some new ones and got a little crazy...

[​IMG]

They're made from 1/4" thick aluminum and they aren't very big, only 1-1/2" tall... the little buggers got away from me a few times on the polisher... :D Ba-ting!!!

[​IMG]

The extra holes (four of 'em) will get orange LED's...

[​IMG]

I'm likin' the spider... might just keep it right there... :hip:

[​IMG]

12. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Simply top notch.

13. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the spider's gotta stay.

14. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Dang!

Great work with the spacers, now the block fits your mod even better.

I feel you with polishing small parts, it's damn hard to keep them to stay in your hand. Also as an added bonus they get really hot :hehe:

They don't get as hot as when you're sanding them though. I always keep a bucket of cold water near where I can throw the pieces I'm sanding with the belt sander, but still I've managed to burn my fingers a couple of times pretty bad :D

Janne

15. dutchcedar

Dome Blower...part one

I've been a bit concerned about heat building up in the dome and really don't want to put any vent holes or fans in it. Also, the green video cards aren't impressing me much... they just look so, well, Dellish to me. But I think I came up with a rather unique solution.

Starting with two 3/4" thick plates that were left over from water-cutting the front bezel, they were put in the vise for a little squaring up...

[​IMG]

Kinda like this...

[​IMG]

Next they were clamped onto the rotary table and the insides were shaped to house one of the EVGA fans from the stock video card coolers, then an inlet hole was cut in the upper piece...

[​IMG]

The two halves looked like this...

[​IMG]

The insides were then milled to take on the shape of the stock cooler's innards...

[​IMG]

A series of 3/16" half round grooves were then cut into the top half, after machining both halves down to the proper thickness (the two together are 1-1/4" thick now)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Mar 2007
  16. dutchcedar

continued...

The two pieces were then screwed together, trimmed to shape on the bandsaw and sanded square and to shape on the beltsander...

To give you an idea of what I'm on about here... the blower will attach to the trailing edge of the two outer video cards...

The 3/4" thick aluminum block in the back (also a left-over from water cutting) will be machined similarly to the upper half in front and attach to the 'puter's backplate surround...

[​IMG]

The yellow line shows what will get milled out of the rear section and the red lines show where a yellow acrylic cover will connect the two pieces...

[​IMG]

So the idea is to pull warm air down from inside the dome, through this little blower and out the rear of the case... while covering up those green PCB's but not the waterblocks... :hip:

17. customh

customh conflagration.

You are amazing dutch. 'nuff said.

18. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

very nice m8, read about this mod a while ago, kinda forgot it, but it turned out real nice!

19. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

And you're adding even more great stuff :hehe: I really like the fact that it isn't finished yet, now we know we can expect even more updates :)

20. dutchcedar

^^^ Well, the journey is where the fun is, so yeah, you can expect a few more updates... :hip:

Here's a car recently built by Dave Shuten... so at least I'm not alone in bringing back the bubbletop... :D

[​IMG]