1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BaDassumption - Photo Shoot...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dutchcedar, 8 May 2006.

1. eegg

eegg What's a Dremel?

weight?

2. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

^^^ post 452.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2007
  3. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

this is one of the neatest mods I've seen. :thumb:

4. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

I must say, for being totally new at machining, you sure can crank out some intricate pieces.

Awe-inspiring work Dutch. It's been an educational experience for me just reading through your worklog! Can't wait to see it all assembled.

PS: Ed Roth would be proud! :D

5. customh

customh conflagration.

Beautiful. 'Nuff Said. Nothing else can describe it. Dome color looks great.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Even though I have been guilty of second guessing someone else's choices I think that's the best post on modding I've read in a while :thumb:

What about extending the orange plexi? like this:
    Code:
    -----.   fan .----.duct
    c c c|   .---'    '---.
    a a a|   |plastic over|
    r r r|   |side of card|
    d d d|   `------------'

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i hate you. both for your monitors and your mad skillz.

are you still going with the clear dome? the yellow really doesn't look good with the orange paint, but an orange dome would be sweet.

8. dutchcedar

Boddaker, thanks... the machining thing is just one heckofalotta fun... could spend all day, every day playing with it.

Thanks Tyinsar... :thumb:

supertoad... ya might wanna read post #466... the bit about plastic colors... :D

9. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I just read the post on wall pictures. If you do a wide screen shot I'd definitely run it on my rig. Love your work

10. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

maybe you wrote about it already but will the skull on the "gearshift" stay like this?

11. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Ill handle this one... see post 162 :read:

Great mod btw

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

May is coming!! Get it together for Halo III! The monitors are to die FROM. Brutal execution. I did some turret lathe work in me youth until I put a number 2 center drill through my right index finger. Great, great job. Roth and Alexander, Barris, and the old school car masters got Nothing on this. Mod on! :clap: :clap:

13. dutchcedar

Thanks Abom... :thumb: I should hire you on the side... :D

Stretching the PSU Pod...

When this thing started, PC Power and Cooling's 510W TurboCool was gonna be plenty and well, that's what the PSU pod was designed for. But things changed as time rolled on and it just won't be big enough. So in comes their 750W Silencer with a mondo 60 amp single rail (modularized and sleeved by a company who will remain nameless because they turned down a discount request, seeing as how they didn't think this build was going to get the exposure that would justify a discount... so, no discount, no advertisement on my dime... but nice work they did. ;) ) ..

The 750W is the one on the left that's a little bit longer... :naughty:

[​IMG]

No, I'm not making a new pod or stretching it or trying to cram wires where they don't want to go so...

Using 1/4 inch thick watercut plates and 1/4 inch spacers, we're gonna add some space to the back...

[​IMG]

Kinda like this... its adds 2 inches overall... perfect.

[​IMG]

They need some massaging (maybe rounded edges, we'll see) but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

They're just balancing for now, that's why they look a little crooked... don't panic... :lol:

[​IMG]

:hip:

14. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

those look really cool man, and any company that turns this mod down, especially for just a discount, is crazy!

15. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Looking very nice. I still cant belive you managed to get that finish with spray paint....amazing.

This just keeps going from strength to strength.

16. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Now that's a pure Hot-rod warpdrive pod :thumb: :rock:

17. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

really nice man simple but effective and still BEAUTIFULL .
    why not do the same finish on these plates like the ones on the front of the pod
    . exelent work(hope i made myself clear).
    keep up the good work.

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The pod looks like it would shoot flames when you crank up the power :thumb:

19. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

Great work. Amazing how you can keep coming out with such good ideas and get them to work.

One tiny suggestion, only vaguely related to your mod. If you have the wall space in your office a picture of Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit would be a great edition. It would make it clear where the inspiration came form for those, who like me, hadn't heard of him before this thread. Would really help tie the theme in.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing it all finished in your own time.

20. dutchcedar

Finished PSU Pod...

Some details... the front bezel and rear mounting plate attach like this... its kinda hard to see, but a 3/8 inch thick plate attaches to the bezel and mounting plate, which in turn attaches to the pod side rails... a detail I had put off for the longest time, but now everything is fixed solid...

[​IMG]

This is hard to see too, but there's a machined Delrin support that sits underneath the PSU... those four screws attach the plates described above (something similar is on the front bezel)...

[​IMG]

To the plates that extend the PSU pod... this is how I made sure they were all the exact same size and fit the same... screwed them onto a piece of plywood and sanded them square... I also polished the edges in this little fixture...

[​IMG]

And to the candy... I ended up using spacers that were a bit longer and one less plate... thinking it looks better. If space is a problem, I'll add the other plate later, but think this will work just fine...

[​IMG]

Even polished the spacers... :D

[​IMG]

And there we have it...

[​IMG]

:hip: