1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Bag Advice + any other first time dSLR advice too

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by teamtd11, 27 Dec 2009.

1. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I will soon be the happy owner of a canon 1000D and i would like some advice please, what is the best budget bag out there, i want something secure, that in future could hold a extra lens and a flash.
    Also is there any must have bits of kit i should get to go with my 1000D.
    Thanks.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  2. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Read the manual for the camera and learn how everything works. The settings in the camera around the M (Manual), Av (Aperture Priority) and Tv (Shutter Priority) shooting modes will give you the most creative control of your pictures by 'unlocking' the camera.

The camera will come with Digital Photo Professional software to edit RAW files (CR2's). Raw files are the digital negative and can be edited later. Saving a RAW file and jpg in the camera at the same time reduces the amount of pictures you can take per second.

A dark colored padded neck strap without Canon's logo, small Lowepro pack and spare battery are useful to have around. Good after-market neck straps are more comfortable and less conspicuous to thieves. bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com are good places to buy camera equipment online.

3. teamtd11

I know how everything works :p used a few dslr's and ive upgraded from a dslr-like camera.
    im just after some bag recommendations, what do people have and recommend rather than me going to the shop and buying something that falls apart in seconds.
    and any bits that people use, ive ordered a lens hood, a grey card and im looking at getting some filters as well.

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I've got a couple of purpose built camera bags, the best of which is probably a canvas Domke F2 - it's very discreet, and has a neat 4-way compartment in it which looks after the lenses and flash gun. I also use a Crumpler shoulder bag, which isn't specially built for a camera, but is fine for just taking the camera out for the day if I'm just using 1 or 2 lenses.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I've got a Lowepro Fastpack 200 in red and black. It currently holds the camera plus lens, two spare lenses, filters and stuff. But then I needed something that would be comfortable to hike in and would survive travel on a motorbike.

6. teamtd11

looks good, though a bit expensive, Dose this look good value? it looks to hold more than the fastpack and is a little less. ( at first i thought it was a bit expensive, but looking at what else there is it may not be to bad)

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

if your only currently carrying the dslr and attached lens, have a look at the slingshot 100, mine holds a nikon d50 with attached sigma 70-300 f4-5.6, a sigma 18-50 2.8, a flashgun and bits and bobs. Nice and lightweight, come with an all-weather cover and easy to get an out off.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Amazon currently has the 200 for a quid less than the DA.

It might be worth while stopping by a Jessops or London Camera Exchange and see if they have any bags you can try on. You can always buy online later.

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I just went through this whole ordeal.

Granted I wanted a bit of a larger bag, but folks threw in some excellent info that I went off of. Ended up with a Lowepro 400AW flipside (great bag and holds a ton of crap).

And in general (about the DSLR) practice makes perfect. :)

10. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I'm with Whisperwolf, many moons ago someone on this forum suggested Slingshot 100, and that thing is amazing if you don't have too much equipment. Hiked/climbed/ran with that thing. It's great.

Couple Lenses + Flash + Pocket Wizards etc... and I'm able to travel, walk a far. I understand how most people need way bigger bags. But then you need a car, camel or a servant. So depends how you roll

11. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

FOD is selling a 100AW Sling bag in the for sale forums :thumb:

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

^ what he said!

13. veato

veato I should be working

I've got a couple of Crumpler shoulder bags. One is fairly large (and fairly expensive to be honest) and holds just about every single camera item, cable, card, charger, lens, battery, bits I own! I have another smaller one though that fits the body, 2 lenses and a flash for when I'm out and about and dont want to take everything.

14. teamtd11

In the end i got a Kata DC-435 cheep off ebay, fits everything i have at the moment. when i get the money to get a new lens then i think i will look at the 100AW or see if kata make something similar :p