1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Bagless vacuum cleaners

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 30 Aug 2018.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about vacuum cleaners? We've had a crappy £20 one for a few years but it's truly dying, we don't have particularly stringent vacuum cleaner requirements, no kids or pets, just a couple of carpets and laminate and whilst I'd love the £300 Miele one I'm not sure it's really required.

Any suggestions?

Filed under education, because domestic education is important.

EDIT: I probably should have posted this in Hardware. Come on Bit Tech, where's your group test FFS?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Group test conclusion: They all suck. The better ones may also blow.

3. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We've had a Henry hoover for years and it's worked perfectly.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

I swear by our Vax mach air reach

Originally had a cheaper model (vax air reach retailed for £229 at the time) and the motor bracket broke, Vax give a six year warranty (looks like only 2 now) and because the part wasn't user replaceable they replaced the whole cleaner for the princely sum of a £4.50 admin charge and we got upgraded to much better model.

Its an older design now but I don't think you would get much better for £99, I advised my sister in law to buy one and she's a horse owner so pet hairs was a big issue and she was amazed at how good it was.

It does have its downfalls, the hopper isn't exactly massive but I can go round our largish 3 bed with one hopper and the attachment hose is a little bit of a faff but nothings perfect.
    I was truly stunned at how much crap it had sucked out of our carpets on its first run on carpets that had just been cleaned by a dyson we borrowed.

Knocked it over many times and nothing is broken, snapped a clip off once but that was my own fault and only cost a couple of quid to replace.

Dysons are good but pricey and don't give the same sort of warranty I believe.
    So if your looking to not spend much money then its is definitely what I would recommend.

Edited my link as that was for a slightly newer version which isn't quite as good.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2018
  5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Got a Hoover Freedom 2-in-1 and I love it. Less than £100 on Amazon, plenty of suck, battery doesn't last an overly long time (and takes a while to fully charge), but it's ideal for a 2 bed bungalow and makes short work of the car.

Good deals to be had on the Discovery model atm, which is a nice step up from the Freedom.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I've had my Dyson for about 10years now and it's done me really well. It got a bit abused in the last year with having to clean up a ton of plaster and mortar and God knows what else I got out the chimney and then the brush belt broke after I was a bit vigorous with it trying to get something out the carpet. £15 on eBay later I've got new filters in and a new belt and it's back to full power. Would suck the chrome off a door knob!

Strangely I need to put up a thread for recommendations on cordless ones. lol

Last edited: 30 Aug 2018
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Im with Crapman on the Dyson's had one for years thoroughly abused it, bits damaged etc. They way its built you can just dismantle it an replace the offending part.
    Recently picked up the mini cordless one, while its not quite as powerful It'll still do 90% of the work the old one did. Its just smaller and lighter.

8. veato

veato I should be working

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Another Dyson recommendation here, even a second hand one will last you years and you can replace parts. We have had ours for at least 13 years and I have replaced the motor (£29.99 on Amazon), filters and hose in that time. It has been absolutely abused the whole time and is still going strong. My wife wants one of the new cordless Dyson V10's (circa £400-£500) but I don't see the point at the moment as the old one works fine - an argument perhaps for one of the demote threads...

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

We went from a Dyson (Animal Ball thing) to a Shark (Duoclean Pet thing) and the difference is light and day. The shark is better built, nowhere near as fragile and does a better job than the Dyson ever did. We do have 2 kids, a dog and it's used every day, so our usage is probably higher than most though.

The Dyson still gets used as a 'shop' vac for my saws/sanders, it cost too much to take to the tip.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

Vote for a Bosch Athlet cordless here. It works well and a lot lighter than the corded Dyson we had. It's not perfect, but so easy to get out and do the carpet and you're sorted.
    The hose conversion is a faff, so I use the old Dyson for that sort of cleaning when required (in furniture, annoying edges and inthe car).

12. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

[​IMG]

In all srsnss tho... We have one of these: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-...ess-vacuum-cleaner-titanium-10167287-pdt.html. Best damn vacuum cleaner we've owned... but: you do have to clean out the filters and brush bar regularly - we do it every 1-2 months. We use it on hard floors, rugs, and carpets, and it does a damn good job. It has a hard life in this house, it has to cope with: cat hair, cat litter, cat food, dust and "normal" household stuff, and my other half's hair - the latter is not kind to the brush bar...

Dr. Coin likes this.
  13. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Never used one. Bird's Job.

I always do it wrong apparently.

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

I don't know if I want to like your post or boo it...

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've been using a Karcher WD 2 for a while. It's.. Effective. Loud, but effective. Also cost me a whopping £30.

I like Dysons, but for the price they are, I'm not sure I like them that much. Also, the 'animal' variety is absolutely the type to get if you have a hint of animal stuff in your life. The regular ones are god-awful at pulling dog hair up IME.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The Kirby is the vacuum cleaner to behold, my mum has an old G5 in chrome with tech-drive, once that head engages with the carpet, if it wasn't for TD you won't be able push the bloody thing. I'm still yet to use the spray-painting attachment though.

liratheal likes this.
  17. liratheal

Aren't they also about a brazillion pounds?

I have vague recollections of a friends ex being a sales rep for kirby and telling me the most common selling model was about £1500

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Just get a Henry. built like a tank. Has no filters which need messing with like a bagless vulture does. Bags are cheap and you don't have to look at the dust either :)

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

They weren't cheap!!, I think my mum got also the super service deal as it gets serviced once a year.

20. liratheal

At the time I was given the number - And this is why it stuck in my head - I remember saying I'd spent less on my car at the time.

Kirby might be the 'best' but holy moly are they hilariously expensive.