1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Bakes' Watercooling Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakes, 16 Dec 2011.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

So, I'm thinking that it's Christmas time again, and my computer can't play BF3 how I'd like it to (on ultra). So, I'm feeling an upgrade is in order.

I'm just looking to get feedback on these choices, if anyone's had issues or anything. As a rundown of what I have at the moment, I own:
    i7-920, 6GB ram, GTX580, big, fast SSD, 30 inch screen.

Now, the 30 inch screen is the issue, since a GTX580 is basically overkill for any other resolution. The GTX590 has apparently been discontinued, so that's out of the question, so I'm basically looking at another GTX580. Before I go any further, I should mention that my system is watercooled.

What I'm looking to get at the moment is:
    Asus Maximus 3 Extreme (not the Z, the standard one. It's £100 cheaper).
    i5-2500k (with a view to upgrading to Ivy Bridge. I wouldn't want to spend time redoing my whole watercooling setup and only add a new graphics card).
    Another GTX 580
    16GB ram (I'm a heavy memory user, and it's only £70).

So that's all basically routine. I picked the Maximus 3 Extreme because it also has an NF200. I was pondering upgrading to a 4800x2560 setup a while back (decided against it for obvious cost reasons), so potentially the option to do 3-way SLi would be helpful.

Watercooling gear:
    Alphacool Repack bay reservoir - I have a tube one at the moment, and the EATX motherboard would prohibit the use of that.
    EK Supreme HF.
    EK GTX580 waterblock.

Any thoughts?
    The only thing I am not quite sure on is whether the standard Point of View GTX 580 has a reference PCB. I suspect it does. Can anyone answer that for definite?

Finally, in terms of fittings. I used compression fittings last time, and that hurt. I'm thinking of using barbs and spring clips this time, anything I should be aware of with those?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ello there

Firstly, if your using good quality compression fittings they'll be fine, the cheaper ones are f'ing horrible though.

Also what rad are you going to be running this off?

3. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I went cheap and cheerful and OH MY GOD THERE ARE BLISTERS EVERYWHERE!?!? Worst money saving ever.

I'll be running it off an XSPC RX480 and an XSPC RS240, pump is a Laing D5.

Edit:
    Are there any technical reasons for using compression fittings over barbs? (I have no window in my case, so I wouldn't be able to see what was inside)

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I personally consider compressions safer than barbs, but thats just because one of my mades had massive issues with them. i also prefer the look of compressons. The EK ones are apparently good though. I just bit the bullet and got some bitsPower ones, so expensive though...

Maybe look at these, as they make life easier for SLI... http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.php/cPath/21_412/filter_by_manu/16
    Edit: just looks at that adapter and it wont work for your waterbloacks.

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Good find on that Maximus board, £100 cheaper than the Z board that's insane, but why are you switching to sandy when you've already got an i7 920 rig?

I'm sure that isn't holding you back, perhaps the board is? But you could always replace that, whereas your gonna have to change M/B and CPU if you do this, also Ivy bridge isn't to far away. perhaps get a second 580, but leave it on air until ivy comes out, then by into that and then re-do your loop, as if your thinking of changing over when ivy does come out your still going to have to take the CPU waterblock off and change the CPU, also I'm not entirely sure how the backwards compatiability thing is going to work, some people saying only Z68 boards will support the new processor's other's saying (including an intel slide) that all 1155 sandy platform boards will support the new processors

and did you mean this gtx 580 by POV http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15gb...hz-gddr5-gpu-772mhz-shader-1544mhz-512-cores?

if thats the one your talking about then yes that is indeed a stock card

6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Officially, H61, H67, P67 and Z68 with appropriate updates will support Ivy Bridge. Some features are only available if you use the new chipsets though.

[​IMG]

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2001 BIOS on the M4E supports next gen Ivy CPUs.

8. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, I'm getting that with the appropriate GeForce adaptor. I might look at those bitspower ones, at the moment I'm at £3 per fitting so it can't be too much worse...

Adding a graphics card would require a full drain, clean, etc (I'd probably take the opportunity to redo the layout since one part is on the verge of kinking at the moment as well). Since an upgrade to ivy bridge would require a new motherboard and cpu, i'd have to redo the whole loop then as well, whilst a simple CPU change (as I'm planning) can be done (with a bit of luck) in situe, no drainage required.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yup, CPU upgrades are easier on WC systems than air coolers...

Also, one of these makes life way easier... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00096JD...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00096JDKS