1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Banished (Out 18th Feb)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Panomama, 28 Jan 2014.

1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

In fact this comment alone is the one worth reading:

" I feel as though the world has become so complacent and lacklustre that when a game finally comes along that is challenging, people back off. But there is a great number of us who wanted exactly that - and we got it."

link

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Bah - Windows only for now.

Can't wait for the Linux version.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well I bought it for £11.99, and it's pretty fun. Juggling resources can be pretty tricky, and I'm at the point where my original population are dying of old age which is scuppering my expansion plans as my kids are basically filling their grandparents' jobs rather than staffing my new buildings!

Oh and my sole chicken died :( In retrospect, buy animals in pairs, because the next boat to trade with won't have another chicken in it (probably), making it impossible to breed.

Wish there was a story-based campaign mode.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

A campaign story would have been an excellent addition to the game.
    It's understandable why there isn't one; it can be quite the heavy task for just one person to do and if Luke's not a keen writer then paying for an external writer and possibly voice actors could be seen as an unnecessary cost.

There's always scope for additional content to be released, or for when the mod tools get released (no date specified as of yet) for the possibility for the community to be creative with stories.

:( The trader never brings me chickens.
    Though to be fair, I never pre-order my livestock... I enjoy the random stuff they bring.

5. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

I've found chickens invaluable to supporting my 180 strong population, they breed so quickly and you get a fair amount of eggs if you have enough chickens. It can make all the difference in a poor crop harvest.

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

My first game loss was due to no children being made. For quite a while, health was very suboptimal, would this explain why the villagers didn't breed? Or I'm wondering whether you need to leave some people as idle labourers to encourage it?

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Haven't got this yet, going to try and watch some gameplay before deciding, I loved the idea when I first saw it but I'm not sure how into it I'd get right now, may be best for me to wait until I get the urge again.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, my first village just died a death. It was all going so well - I'd managed to buy two chickens, which had become seven in a few years, I had a food surplus and was slowly managing to replace my ageing, uneducated, peons with younger education version. Then, I think, I hit a bug. I zoned an area of clearance to gather wood, iron and stone. The villagers hacked down all the trees and dug up the stone and iron...but left all the piles where they were. Then my foresters did the same, leaving the ground littered with resource stacks. Nobody was collecting resources, including food, so my village died over the course of a single winter :/

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Did you try building 2-3 extra houses?
    Usually you'll find your adults will stop having children because a) there's nowhere for a new family to expand into or b) they've reached their birth limit, adding a couple of houses encourages more expansion of the population as they can then form additional new families.

Families also seem to stop having new children if they become too unhappy, usually due to deaths... that can be offset by adding a cemetery for them to bury their loved ones.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Did you have sufficient storage areas/barns?

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Masses - I had three barns. The resources were being left where they were found despite having 0 in stock.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Logs, iron and stone are stored in storage areas, rather than barns. Altho that wouldn't explain why food wasn't getting picked up.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I had the original storage area as well :(

14. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I think it's the labourers job to transport resources?

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Labourers will transport resources (I had 3), but so will children and other workers not engaged in tasks at that point in time (e.g.: farmers during winter).

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Was that full? I've found it necessary to build extra storage areas when clearing large areas.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, it wasn't full. As I've said previously, my stock levels dropped to 0 across the board and still nothing would be collected.

18. pica

pica Space Invader

Had my eye on this too —definitely worth a look.

19. pica

pica Space Invader

That sounds great! Y'know, despite all the death and stuff :D I'll definitely be looking into it.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

****. 30 minutes in: I've got a farm, pasture, hunters lodge and fishing.

No food.

CMON ALREADY! They eateateateateateateateateat.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Feb 2014