1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 25 Jan 2009.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Anyone else got this? I picked it up from game for a tenner (£15 voucher, 10% student discount and £2.50 on my game card), from the demo I expected it to be ok, but I thought it would definitely be worth a tenner.

Probably the best £10 I've spent on a game, it's very good fun, I know a lot of the old BK fans are disappointed that it's not like the traditional style platformer of the original games but I'm loving it. There are some bad points to it, some of the challenges can be frustrating, and I would say they're quite repetitve, but at the same time one collection quest is a bit different from another, it's rare to find one or two setups that will work for every challenge and they'll usually need a bit of tweaking to get the TT trophy and an influx of new parts will see you slowly upgrading your vehicles and allow you to access new areas.

There are also several ways to approach some challenges. For instance, one challenge had a setup of huge dominoes on this large circular platform. The game reccomended I use a fast and heavy vehicle, I tried that, it wasn't heavy enough. Instead of doing that, I decided to try out the self destruct module I had found, I attached propellers to my car, turning it into a helicopter, put it in the middle of the platform and blew it up. Well, it didn't do a whole lot, my vehicle needed more and heavier parts for that to be effective. So I tried something else, I made a massive inverted trapezoid thingy with propellers, flew it up high above the central point of the dominoes and reversed the power, slamming it down into the centre of the dominoes. There aren't loads of challenges that have as many methods of approach like that, but there are still various ways to build you land based vehicle to win a race.

The vehicle creator is great, think GMod but much, much simpler. It allows you to easily make functional vehicles, sure the physics might bend a few of the real world rules, but as the game points out in it's dialogue a lot (which often makes me chuckle), it's a game world. The handling on the vehicles is sometimes a pain, but then again, it's based on the physics, you might find that if you alter the wheelbase or adjust the power (more is not always better) the handling can be just fine.

The graphics are gorgeous, if you like the looks of VP you'll probably like the visuals of this game. The levels are great, there are only 5 of them (plus showdown town and spiral mountain) but they are huge. Each level is split into 6 acts which you unlock by collecting jiggies. In the first act you'll have a few challenges, and then in the next some different ones, because the levels are so big it's difficult to explore the entire level in one go unless you set out to in a helicopter of some sort.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Where did you get a £15 voucher??

3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hmm, I might have to give the demo a try. I was originally put off from giving it a try when I saw how focused it was around building vehicles.

I'm a huge fan of the original Banjo Kazooie games.

Anyone else realize how RARE makes the catchiest background music in games? I think that's part of the reason why I love Banjo Kazooie so much and the Donkey Kong Country games.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Was a xmas present.

Yeah the music in this game is great, after playing it until about 10 in the morning, the next day when playing some GoW with a friend the music was pretty quiet, I could only just hear it and my mind automatically turned it into the music from N&B which was rather hilarious for me having this upbeat xylophone tune while sawing my way through the worm.