1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Basically I want an epic 24"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeDaly, 24 Sep 2011.

1. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

seriously thats to expensive :/ what asus 24" would you's reccomend?

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

The thing is "epic" in monitor terms aint cheap, you say you do 3d work etc as a profession then dont skimp on the monitor.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Hate to beat a dead horse but IPS really is the way to go

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Its well worth the money i can vouch, if you cant afford the dell's go with a cheaper, smaller IPS panel.

Its difficult to recomend a TN model as they're all pretty much the same in terms of image quality, the features you would be looking at are inputs etc.

5. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Even though the LG 231P is a 6-bit panel it is an IPS panel and is only at £150...better than all TN panels of that price range and any other IPS 6-bit panels. Going for 8 bit panels will adding an extra £200 or so to the price tag, so if thats too much the LG should do the trick.

6. fanpages

fanpages What's a Dremel?

By the way, does any one think a true successor to the U2410 will come out this year?

7. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

I think i have finally been convinced a U2410 is the way to go then :p thanks guys, jw what the response time on these are? and are they any use for gaming? Cod, Battlefield etc

although this guy didnt make it sound to good tbh - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2083724

Last edited: 25 Sep 2011
  8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

September 2009 (and earlier) release of the U2410 (like all LG based IPS panels) had many issues. Late December (I have that one) doesn't have any problem. January 2010, Dell revised the monitor to A01, as the "there is no more issue" version. I think the U2410 is at A04 or A05 now in term of revision. At my father place, and using it now as we speak, is an A04 purchase last year, and beside a minute bug fix and improved touch sensitive buttons (but they still worked great on the A00), there is no other differences that I noticed. So you don't have to worry about getting a A00, I don't think it even possible. There was and still is a recall on the U2410 A00, if you wonder (but you get a refurbished one).

Here is the response time of the Dell U2410:
    I play games, including FPS, and I came from a CRT, on the slowest color mode: Adobe RGB (same for sRGB) and I notice 0 ghosting or input lag issues. HOWEVER, I am no FPS championship player, I don't have super gamer peripherals (but I do have high quality peripherals: Logitech illuminated keyboard and the Logitech MX Revolution mouse, both of which are expensive products). I play for fun, that is all (not to be the best of the best).
    Because I am no hard core FPS player, I might not any problem.

Here are reviewed response time (which also translate to ghosting), of the monitor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All tests pictures above are from TFTCentral.

As you can see, the U2410 is very good.
    The monitor also has "Game" mode, which turns off the color processor and boost things up to reduce input lag.

(saying values are useless, ad it's a gray to gray measurement, and every manufacture uses their own gray color... and can even use the same gray. So If I say that XYZ monitor is 16ms, and this ABC is 1ms.... XYZ ends up being better, as XYZ used black to white (which the value is normally really high, and 16ms is really good), white ABC used the same gray color, and if measured black to white, it would probably have a response time of, let's say 30ms.)

I just read the thread that you posted And beside the normal points of IPS panel or LCD technology limitation by itself, I don't see any issue on my side. Black level are really good (unless you set the monitor to 50% (default) or above which are brightness level I like to call: "Make me blind", as this monitor is killer bright, like you can have the sun behind you hitting the monitor, and you can see it.

The A00 is set at 30% brightness.
    The A04 is set to 0% brightness (yea.. it's bright alright), and I don't live in a cave, but I have to admit it's a bit darker (less sun light, but there is still a lot) at where my A04 is located compared to the A00.

9. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

so your really all for the u2410 :p i love the idea of the colours etc being great! but my pc is also my main gaming machine therefore i need a really fast response rate, some 24" tn's are only 5ms response which i hear is great for gaming. Descision Descions...

10. GoodBytes

The U2410 is the best non-professional screen. If you want something better, you need to do a the jump to professional line monitor which cost over 1000$ U.S/Canadian, and can go all the way up 16 000$ (no typo), and possibly higher.

However, professional monitors aren't designed for gaming at all.. so gaming performance won't be good at all.

IPS panels came a long way over the years (TN hasn't really). They are faster, and due to faster color processors, have significantly reduce input lag. And again, the U2410 has a Game mode which disables entirely the color processor, reducing colors accuracy of course, but provides you very low input lag. Response time is 6ms, and as you can see from the above post showing the comparison, it beasts oh so claimed lower and similar response time monitors, and I explained why already.

I am not going to say it's as fast as a high-end TN panel. But you won't notice anything, especially if you are not a hardcore gamer. But it is the fastest sub 1000$ U.S/Canadian monitor.

If you want the best of both worlds, get a CRT (you'll have too look at used one, as they don't make them anymore since ~2005). It's the only monitor technology that provides both worlds.

Else it's 2 monitor setup. where one you use for work, and the other for gaming.
    And to be honest, I think that even if you see a small difference (which I soubt very much), just some adjustement in your gaming is needed.

If you are like him, you got serious problems:

(BTW, he uses a TN panel)

If you don't like the U2410, your second choice is the EIZO (Japanese company) FORIS FX2431
    http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fx2431/index.html
    It's ~£900 monitor
    Which is higher quality (better be for the price), 5 year warranty, way better blacks, faster, built-in KVM, and can process 1080/24p content (excellent for Blu-Ray player connected directly to it)

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The input lag isn't noticeable on my Dell U2711, yes it is larger than some TN panels which are 5ms but you really won't notice it unless you are a top level FPS gamer who adjusts things like the server response time settings etc.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I have to say that my NECs are fantastic for gaming, but perhaps you don't consider them "professional"? The input lag according to TFTC is very high at approx. 40ms (with peaks at 50-60ms :eeek: ) but I'm guessing the NECs have a bypass or game mode etc because I really don't notice any lag at all compared to any TN monitors I've used, and I play very fast FPS with no ill effects. :)

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

:jawdrop:

Umm... wow? All I can say to something like that is, you get what you deserve for being an impatient douchebag. We've all had our moments of rage at a game, but that guy has some serious anger issues (I mean look at the walls/room).

If your destroying your living space its time to stop playing that game.

Also get whatever goodbytes says - he's like the Willy Wonka of monitors. :D

14. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

I have two NEC 24wmgx3.

Interesting read, I shall monitor this thread.

15. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

As I always seem to, I'll throw in my vote for a HP ZR24w. Not as pricey as the U2410, but really very good regardless. Can be had for around £330, ~£120 less than the U2410.
    http://www.dabs.com/products/hp-zr24w-24--widescreen-1920-x-1200-7ms-dvi-d-vga-lcd-monitor-6P7V.html
    Mine is still going strong a year after purchase (and obviously will last longer than that) and very happy with it.
    The U2410 however, does have Adobe RGB while the HP does not, which can be important for graphic design when colours are key. The HP still looks great in that regard, but you won't be able to run Photoshop and Illustrator with the Adobe RGB profiles, just regular sRGB.

16. GoodBytes

They are no news, leaks or rumor at this time, that suggest a new U2410 is coming up.
    The U2412 is inferior model

Last edited: 27 Sep 2011
  17. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Erm..quick question. The price of a Dell U2711.....when's it likely to be more accesible to us mere mortals? Has the price been dropping or has it maintained a stable price? I'm prepared to wait a few years or when a new range of 27" come out to 'properly' compete with Dell. ;)

I remember 3-4 years the 20" screen used to be the 'norm' staple size, with the 24" being at a premium and 27" kinda up and above. Now the norm staple size is the 23/24"...how times change. I'm waiting for times to change again :p

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

+1

sRGB gamut is what you want unless you do a lot of photo editing or pre press graphics work. 99% of all media you'll download, stream, watch or play on your PC is standard gamut. You do not need a wide gamut panel, and it will deliver incorrect colours unless unless properly colour managed or run in sRGB mode. Wide gamut screens are of no advantage to most users who buy them, and will probably be misused and delivering incorrect over-saturated colours.