1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Batman Arkham City

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GregTheRotter, 24 Sep 2010.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Just to let you know I got my copy of batman Arkham city (Xbox 360) will be playing it around 12pm as I have to go to my kids school for a parent day :wallbash:

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Cool - let us know how it goes. That's the game, not the parents day!

My kids are home today as the teachers have a shopping (er, I mean training) day. Then next week it's half term. I think I will get them playing Dead Island - they are four after all and should be able to handle it!!

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Lol that's the reason I got it on Xbox 360 as both my sons loved playing the first one. They've also got teacher training day today but I have to go see the teachers. My eldest is 4 and the second is 3 I also have a girl who's 1

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

No kids, just a lunch break of about 45mins to get gaming! :p

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried the recently with more updated drivers? and at what resolution are you playing? I would have thought if my card doesn't have a problem with DX11, your 5970 should breeze through it.

+1 for atmosphere in AA.

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Play my PC games at 2560x1600 and I am usually on the latest driver (preview version if there is one). There aren't that many games that make full use of DX-11, but the one that springs to mind is the updated Crysis 2 - the FPS hit wasn't worth the eye candy. Probably a bad example as Crysis 2 played like a dog most of the time anyway!!! I will save the PC for BF3 out later next week!

Been reading around and have now ordered Arkham City for my PS3 - it apparently looks slightly better than the 360 version according to a mate of mine that got both today. Apparently there's around 20 hours of gameplay if you rush the main storyline and over 40 if you go for all the goodies and side quests. In this day and age that's not bad.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

I'd say having played through Crysis 2 that the DX11 graphics make it look much less like a console port, but not as wowing as the original crysis was. I wouldn't use it to judge all DX11 content though, there was a lot of wasted gpu power with things like the tessellated water going under the entire level.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

What an incredibly frustrating game this is turning out to be.

Help request (in Spoiler)

Has ANYONE managed to complete the first task in the second set of Augmented Reality Training? The one where you have to glide down a corridor towards a train. I must have tried well over a hundred times now and I just cannot get the last ring. If I can't do the training what hope have I got of actually finishing this game?

Interestingly I can't find any Youtube hints for this one.

It's really, really hacking me off!

EDIT --->

Never mind - after several hours I managed to do them all.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, I am enjoying this so far.

Batman's world is so much bigger and open so there is a lot more scope for flying about and exploring. There are lots of side missions to do and they all seem to fit in nicely to the overall story. As my previous post suggested, some of them are very challenging indeed - the flying ones were almost (almost!) impossible for my old reactions to achieve!

The Boss Fights so far are much more sensible than in the last game and don't seem as detatched from the overall gameplay (which I thought they were in Asylum).

There is still a lot of button bashing to do - I have never been the kind of person that can remember all those button combinations, so I end up just doing the same thing over and over - this is a fault of mine rather than the game though. You can approach most situations from a stealth aspect though which is good as I like the sneaky sneaky stuff.

The dark atmosphere is as good as the last game, this combined with the size of the world gives a larger sense of darkness and desperation and really makes you think you are in the DC world.

There are many, many more Riddler puzzles than in the last game and they are more challenging to find. To complete them all you also have to play as Catwoman, which adds to the longevoty of the game. Also, to complete the Riddler's main side quest, you have to complete his puzzles which makes them less of a 'side show' and more integrated into the game.

Downside - the saving and checkpointing is a bit weird. When you die you are never quite sure how far back it's going to take you. I have had to go and re-do a few Riddler puzzles a couple of times because I haven't checkpointed. Also, when I want to quit the game, I am not sure if I am safe to do so without losing too much. Generally speaking though if you walk into a building, it seems to save so if you are outside then it seems to be a good way of forcing the checkpoint. If you are in the middle of an inside mission then you just have to hope it doesn't take you too far back. A save option would have been nice.

So, overall this is an excellent game and well worth the money. If you liked the last game then you will love this. Also I think if you are a fan of games like Assassin's Creed, you will also appreciate the open nature and amount of distractions that this game has to offer.

EDIT ---> I am playing the PS3 version by the way.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Argh, need! Roll on 11/11/11.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

The official date for Europe is now the 18th :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

12. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

DONE AND DUSTED! :D

I've gotta say guys, that game was awesome from start to finish! i really hope they do make another one :(

@jedra that AR training was well hard, just keep trying and timing it and you'll get it :D. took me about 20 attempts.

EDIT: by the way theres a MUCH harder one. you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it XD

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Oh no. I nearly gave up on the game with these - glad I didn't because I am enjoying it. I hope there's a video for it then because otherwise I will have no chance! Some of the Riddler trophies I have no idea how to get!

14. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

I've not got this yet, so is it worth getting for pc? I've got the 1st one and that was good so hopefully this one will be better.

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

PC version is not out yet, but if you liked the first then you should like this one too. It's a lot like the first one only there is much more of it and they have improved some things. It's a lot more open and there is more exploration to be done.

16. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Thoroughly enjoying this, and enjoying the character models they've created for the various familiar faces.

Has anyone played this in 3D? Would be interesting to see how it comes off!

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Pre-ordered on Steam!

20% off makes it even sweeter for having Arkham Asylum - and that came free with a GTX 260. Best. Free. Game. Ever.

18. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Shame it has been delayed a bit though. It's been sat in my Steam LIbrary for a while with no clickable box to download for ages :(

19. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

na you won't need a video on youtube mate, you ll be ok just don't give up and keep trying. you'll triumph at it eventually :)
    it always let you know the next hoop for glide through. theres only one thing i had to youtube and that was something to do with nora fries.

all the riddler trophies are easy to get once you have all the gadgets :D

ALSO: if you do all the basic AR training you get an aaaaawesome gadget upgrade, used it soooooo much throughout the game!

20. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

definitely worth it dude! its basically just a better, upgraded, more in-depth, explorable version of asylum.