1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Battery covers/cases

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Firehed, 8 Oct 2008.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up battery caps/covers/cases? The included battery with the camera always has one to protect the terminals from shorting out, but I just picked up a couple third-party batteries for the 40D and of course no such thing is included. With the old XTI I had three batteries and had the original cover plus one that came with my battery grip, and with at least one in the camera I didn't have any exposed terminals. As I didn't buy a grip for my 40D (nor do I really intend to), I don't have that secondary cover so that means at least one battery with exposed terminals in a bag full of sync cables and other assorted metal crap.

I suppose I could always use a little bit of gaffer tape, but I'd rather avoid the mess if I can.

2. Vers

Vers ...

Toss some gaff on the small boxes they come in and use them...that's what I do.

3. Firehed

Good call, dunno why I didn't think of that. I've gotta come up with a good way to mark them too so I can remember which are charged and which are dead, will probably just use a sharpie or something.

4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Is it really an issue? I've had batteries floating about (albeit in a bag with an actual pocket, so shiz goes in different places) with no trouble for quite a while.

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I was under the impression you had to turn the camera on to run down the battery? :confused:

6. Firehed

Paranoia. Nothing else.
    Well yeah, but once you've done that how are you going to know which battery out of the random collection in the bag still has a charge? If you have to just grab a battery and run (i.e. any time-sensitive event), it's nice not to grab a dead one.

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

As to the terminals, it just paranoia. As for keeping track of batteries, I split my vest into the fresh and the spent. The left hand pockets are fresh CF, AAs, and camera batteries. The right is the used. That way I always know where I am. Camera bags can be done the same way.

Most modern camera batteries track their charge life these days. For the AAs, I label them in groups of 4. And always use and charge them together.

Tags: