1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Battlefield 1943

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 9 Jul 2009.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

So Battlefield 1943 is now out. Anyone got it? I grabbed it on 360 arcade, unfortunately it requires you to log into your EA account to play it and for some reason my linking of gamertag isn't working properly any more so I can't play it at all :waah:

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

oooo,didnt realise this was coming out so soon...how much was it?

3. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

That would explain why there were no matches found yesterday :lol:

1200MS Points on Live, played through the tutorial a few times and seems like great fun. Disappointed that there's a 16 player MINIMUM limit on even private matches; no bombing around with a couple of friends.

4. Harry Halfcock

Harry Halfcock New Member

Baffled, or perhaps bemused would describe my reaction to reading the plethora or reviews for Battlefield 1943.

Here is a game that offers even less than its diminutive size would suggest averaging a rating of 8 out of 10. The reviewers seem to be admitting that the game offers nothing new, that the graphics are not that great, that the sounds are ok and that there is limited gameplay value, but wait, It’s download only content therefore the graphics are brilliant, the sounds are wonderful and the massive selection of 3 whole maps sets some kind of precedent for generosity. Being DLC, it seems that the bar against which this game is judged is set a lot, lot lower.

I supposed I may be spoilt coming from the PC gaming market where a full game costs in the region of £20-25, it feels to me like I’m getting less than a quarter of the content for half the price. I suppose it’s not such a bad proposition to the console gaming crowd, who get stung for twice the amount for new games than their PC gaming brethren.
    The graphics are certainly nothing to write home about, certainly some improvement over Battlefield 2, but not much, and nothing to write home about in 2009. There is still a cartoonish element to the visuals, the tanks and planes look like caricatures of their real life counterparts.

Gameplay is of the genre run around like a headless chicken with the trigger held down like some sort of digital Rambo. Every level plays the same; there are no tactics and nothing to inspire teamwork. All the assets seem to respawn in femtoseconds, so it hardly seems worth destroying them. You take on a tank head on, tanks which incidentally can be destroyed by the use of harsh language or an offensively loud shirt, only to get shot then respawn and have to take on the same tank again and again and again.

In conclusion, if you are in the habit of spontaneously throwing ten pound notes down drains, at tramps or in rivers you may as well waste some more money on this game, play it for an hour, get bored and delete it from your hard drive forever. If you have the attention span of a knat, you may also enjoy this game. I would imagine EA/dice will bring several more instalments, ending up with something resembling a full game but at twice the price, but hey it’s only Microsoft Points right, it not like it’s real money. In terms of entertainment per £, I would have been better off with a couple of cinema tickets, or if you haven’t played it, Battlefield2 with all the add-ons is now available for much less than a tenner.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2009
    acron^ likes this.
  5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Ouch! :sigh: Hope it's better on the PC!

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Have you even played the game? I think not from the description you gave.

7. Harry Halfcock

Harry Halfcock New Member

Indeed i have, in between long bouts of staring at a screen proclaiming "The game is unavailable. Try again later"

Akava likes this.
  8. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

You, sir, are class. :thumb:

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

why have they released this game on xbox live arcade when they are not even ready for it??

I have spent 30 mins and still no game. I paid money for this game and money for the online service (xbox live) and I still have not been able to play my game.

Im getting more annoyed with xbox live.

10. PA!N

PA!N New Member

Just played the demo an thought that it was quite fun. Sure there's nothing new to the genre, but thats not what this game wanted to offer in the first place. It's a solid multiplayer shooter that doesn't put such a focus on advanced team/squad tactics but on "join, shoot, have fun" gameplay. It's really to be seen as a type of game where you can just jump in and have some fun, and in my opinion it does well at providing some good entertainment. I just hate them for the 30 min cap on the demo...

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Cant buy it now, well you can if you have 90,000 MS pts to spend! They cant deal with all the players!

Oh dear...

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Thats what I've been saying about NFS Undercover, just bought it, and its not even a finished game, its almost impossible to keep control of your car, as there isn't any deadzone, so the slight wobble in the analogue stick is detected and your constantly weaving from side to side.

I keep loading it up, playing a race or two, then getting really pissed off with it because it could/should have been a good game, but EA ruined it by only doing half a job. Glad I waited till it was £9.99 and didn't buy it when it was £24.99.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty much sums up my evening with it tbh. And EA were even providing free cocktails too! Played it for a bit, seemed alright, wanted a keyboard and mouse really because FPS controls on a console are at best, iffy, but after a bash I just got bored with running around like a headless chicken looking for red dots and struggling to shoot even the blind side of a bus.

It's all about the respawn - tanks, planes, weapons are readily available and you respawn every 30 seconds so dying has little meaning. Also, you seem to respawn randomly so getting lobbed next to the enemy happened semi-frequently.

It's like... BF meets TF2, except, shittier. Expect it to be filled with newbies who love to jump in a tank or fly a plane.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It got a great review in Edge. I hadn't read much about it until recently thinking it was just a second rate arcade game.

Looks pretty good to be honest but I'm going to try and hold out for the PC version, that's if it gets good reviews. I still hate playing FPS games on a control pad, especially multiplayer.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I finally got to play it and I cant believe how buggy it is. Did they not test it? It feels unfinished. When driving the tank the graphics messed uo really bad when I went in external view.

But its Battlefield and I did enjoy it, and love that its destructable like Bad Company. This will do until Bad Company 2 comes out.

16. lewchenko

lewchenko Member

The PC version is due out in September, which should offer better graphics and obviously more intuitive controls (its FPS remember).

The multiplayer aspect should hopefully be more tightly controlled too.

I think the reason this game is being hyped and raved about on the consoles is simply because they have not really had a game like it before.. we all know the core concept of battlefield is a winner, and they have simply tried to make it accessible and viable for console fans to play. Whilst it doesnt really compare to PC standards (depth / graphics / complexity) its still probably fun.

I may pick it up on the console first just for a laugh, but will definitely be getting the PC version too.

Roll on BF3 next year though for the return of the king.

17. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

Played for a couple of hours in total so far and it's...ok.

3 maps that are pretty much all the same, seems hard to kill anyone unless you use the sniper class or rifle grenades :grr:, limited teamwork opportunities...but it's fun for a while.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

There has been Bad Company for several years which is very similar to this.

Then you could go all the way back to the original xbox era: RTCW

It is no-where near as good as a proper battlefield on the PC but it's a little bit more to it than the usual junk.

19. AlexTia

AlexTia New Member

Being a BF2 player on the pc ,i think this is quite fun for small amounts of time. Im crap with a ps3 joypad but i found myself being in the top6 nearly everytime lol

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Seems like they've fixed all the server issues, now easy to get a game. Not really done the ground combat a whole lot cos I just jump in a plane and dogfight most of the time. Not got the hang of doing bombing runs in them yet though.