1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 15 Mar 2013.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That video was almost cringe worthy. So painfully staged and poorly acted.

As for the actual game:
    -Magnifier on a side flip mount, finally! Waiting to see just how much actual customization is available to the players.
    -Commander back, finally.
    -Squad size increased, finally.
    -More destruction.
    -More vehicles.

Overall some cool stuff but really does seem to be Battlefield 3.5.

2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Commander mode is interesting. My question now is whether the commander is a dedicated role (once you take commander, you can't spawn in the battle) or if it's more like before where you do spawn in, but you go to an in-game console to command or something like that.

I kinda would like the commander role to be dedicated (I think it would need to be on a tablet...). It's a full time job trying to monitor the flow of the battle, and a soldier on the front lines doesn't have time to sit and look at their mini-map for 30 seconds. However, if the commander is dedicated it'll be interesting to see what methods of communication the troops have with the commander. Maybe squad leaders can help by designating targets for the commander or something like that idk.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Question for those who think this looks like BF3.5 and not BF4, what are you looking for to make it BF4?

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

At first, I was like... bah... BF3. Who needs this crap. No commander mode, no C4 for Recon, no commo-rose, poorly designed squad...

Then I was like, ok, this is kinda fun. Here's my $60. And enjoyed it for a while until I can't take it anymore.

Then DICE announced BF4, just a little over year after BF3. So I said F**K you, DICE. I'm DONE with the Battlefield series, you hear me? I'M DONE!

Then I saw Commander mode, and felt like a sucker buying BF3 and spending all those hours....... still hate DICE for it.

Then I saw the multiplayer demo and the skyscraper just crumbl*OHMYGAWD DICE HERE'S MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: there's no doubt this is BF3.5, but there's just too much changes for them to rebuild the codes, so it's easier to rebuild it. I'll be surprised if there's a BF5 in the next year or two.
    edit: Best feature so far: mini in-view screen in Commander mode in bottom left corner. Instead of screaming and typing "WHAT DO YOU SEE????", you just click on squad leader and see what's going on. Epic.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I think Green man gaming is still the cheapest at £29.99, that is for the box version not the digital version

Looking very good though so far

6. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Considering the relatively short release cycle from 3 to 4 there simply aren't enough changes or advancements to make me feel a new standalone game is necessary.

Just look at the game. It visually looks the same. Only slightly improved graphics, minor gameplay improvements through new map aspects and additional weapon customization, slightly modified HUD and UI. Exciting new features such as larger squads and commander are things BF3 should have had in the first place. It adds little to nothing more than expantion packs historically have.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I agree with that, it was the QTE bit I wouldn't like to see. I don't mind if it's a reaction skill, but I don't want to be told to press 'X' to do it!

QTEs should be taken away and shot!

9. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

[​IMG]

Commander's station from E3.

10. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Just defib/repair tool/c4 them.

Other than everything that's being discussed, the biggest thing to me is that vehicles have two fire rates. They don't have infinate ammo, instead you have a reload time and an automatic resupply time.

Also the live stream is excellent. http://www.twitch.tv/battlefield

will get back with the bf3 -> bf4 thing, marketing, consoles thoughts.

Also seen something resembling xm25 used by support. Still 3D spot through smoke.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2013
  11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Well the jump from Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 3 was huge so what I hoping for something like that again: a new game that both looks and feels like a big jump up from its predecessor.

I've absolutely loved Battlefield 3 though and I'll certainly enjoy more of the same in Battlefield 4. Realistically it has only been two years since Battlefield 3 was released so you can't really expect them to change much. From their eyes and many others (including mine) they've got a winning formula so you can see why they don't want to change it too much.

There's just a little bit of feeling like you're not getting full value for your money, especially when some aspects of the game such as gun models, firing mechanics etc. are going to very similar if not the exact same as in BF3.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

3 to 4 has actually been one of the longest gaps in Battlefield releases, from 1942 to BF3 there was a new boxed retail or download game every year (16 in total!). There was another two year gap between 2142 and BC1, but the rest of the time at least one Battlefield game has come out every year.

If the destruction turns out to be as detailed as the trailer implies, this is a huge gameplay upgrade over 3. I'm glad a lot of the team play options and squad size from 2 are back (they should have been in 3 but never mind, 3 stands up on it's own merits).

This is looking like a 'true' sequel to 2/2142 in it's scale and ambition, my biggest worry is that with Medal of Honor dead and buried, EA are going to push this into a full numbered sequel every year. If that's the case I worry for the state of 4 when it's 'finished' in one year rather than two, but hopefully the longevity of 3 will stop EA doing that.

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

nah, I'd expect bad company, 2143 or battlefront to ease that.

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Some gameplay videos from Twitch.tv

Holy hell but I hate this kind of commentary, though it does provide some good information.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Levelution, what a horrible marketing word...

This map needs jets, dog fighting between skyscrapers needs to happen, attack runs with limited space to dodge fire would be a great test of skill.

#Edit,watching that, the guns (at least the primaries) seem to be operating a magazine system again, every reload was dropping the reserve number by a full magazine, discarding any unspent rounds. Yet another thing I like!

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"the skyscraper collapse in the MP demo from the EA press conference is NOT scripted"

I thought so! Hopefully we can destroy EVERY building on the map! That would make for real next generation!

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

So hyped! I love the changes from BF3. Looks like no or very slow regen health, lower ammo counts, higher player HP and they seem to be designing the classes to require more teamwork and less lone-wolfing. Sad to see that the Assault class still has the health pack but we need to know more about the class breakdown before I can really complain. I swear I saw a recon with demolitions...

Overall very impressed.

Not sure if it's all been covered but Teenlonewolf on PCGamer made this comment:

Stuff they have shown so far that's new or changed from BF3 -
    Spectator mode with 1st, 3rd, freecam and commander mode style cam.

Commander mode, capturing specific control points gives the commander more abilities and gives access to AC-130 and stuff.

"Commander Station" at E3 -
    https://twitter.com/ConsiderIt_dunN/status/344548857679597568/photo/1

You can actually takeout that building by destroying pillars (not timed event) and the whole map is completely covered in a dust screen after it.

All maps have a version of "levelution" (Level Evolving), big events plenty.

Suppression only prevalent on long range combat, you auto lean around cover if you're aiming while behind something (Farcry 3 style).

You can dive underwater for a period of time and use pistols to kill.

More emphasis on sea combat.

5 player squads and ingame VOIP is confirmed.

The automatic voice that comes from spotting actually tells you the direction of the threat ("Enemy tank from the south").

Commorose is different for the squad leader.

Tanks seem to have limited ammo, not really sure.

Can shoot fire extinguishers to get a smokescreen.

You can counter knifing attempts if they aren't from behind.

I think I saw a flashbang.

Defib needs to be charged before using, awesome change.

Vehicle disabling is improved to disable the part that got hit and not just stop you from moving.

Some sort of barriers that stop vehicles from advancing to areas of the map (maybe to stop spawn camping).

Ofcourse the best feature in the game, ELEVATOR MUSIC!

18. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Pretty sure recon has got C4 back which will be nice.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

That's a nice list of changes to look forward too.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

With all the different branches it's somewhat difficult defining exactly what's a sequel and such. Going by the main series we have 1942, then three years until BF2, then six years until BF3. Now add two until BF4. It's the shortest one, and doesn't change eras like 1942-BF2. It's also the first sequel to the main series without a side series release in between.

It's that fact that we're seeing yet another modern warfare Battlefield just two years later that feels churned out and unimaginative. Particularly when the Bad Company side series has done modern warfare twice in a row. My heart doesn't exactly skip a beat at the prospect of spending another $60 to get BF3 plus a couple gimmicks like knife counters and core features BF3 should have had in the first place. Make 2143. Copy Blops and go Cold War. Korean War. Some non-American war. Literally anything other than some desert camo covered, AR-variant toting, dust obscured snore-fest.