1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 15 Mar 2013.

1. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

First off the game runs smoothly at 50-60fps on high-ultra at 1080p with my 660ti power edition :thumb: and it looks amazing!
    Then with the battle packs, they just seem to be random drops depending on the amount of XP you have earned.
    The guns handle awesome (and I agree Scar-H is a bit OP) but the carbines are my favourite so far and the pistols are very capable!
    And there is a bug that has popped up when you die the screen goes all weird blue/blurry and you have to double tap Esc and the it goes to the spawn screen.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2013
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Intel I5 / 8 GB RAM, ATI HD 7950

One game from earlier, I am DIR7Y H4RRY

[​IMG]

3. droyden

droyden New Member

Just upgraded to the latest beta drivers going to give it a quick whirl

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Someone in Dice hates sniping with a passion, it's somehow even worse than in BF3.

Bullets travel slower, they leave a vapor trail, scope glint is still 100w bulb ridiculous, bullet drop still applies, with a suppressor it behaves more like the crossbow did in 3, the damage is low, the fire rate is absurdly low and getting suppressed still makes your spread impossibly wide, scope sway is now random and violent, there is some weird mouse acceleration/smoothing going on when scoped in and iron sights are a Battle Pack Unlock!

AAAAARGH!!!

#Ahem#

This could be the deal breaker as far as me and BF4 are concerned. F2P elements aggravate me no end, whilst recon/sniper is my favourite way to play ever since BF1942. Now it feels as if playing recon is actively and constantly punished. As far as sniping goes, unless the other guy is standing still you've got no chance of a one shot, if he's moving scoring two consecutive hits seems to be mostly luck, I've been watching entire groups of snipers trying and failing to land two hits on a guy.

Playing aggressive recon is all but impossible, at targets closer than 50m the hand gun is more reliable than the rifle, the rifle is essentially useless.

Just went 16-14 in a conquest round playing Recon only, it's awful...

Last edited: 1 Oct 2013
  5. fix-the-spade

I've been getting that, also getting one where on the spawn screen the points display as normal, but a set of extra phantom points float around on the screen as well, it's weird.

Also, hitboxing for the vehicles is off, specifically they seem to extend beyond the edges of the skin for quite a long way, so you can be blasting away at a guy standing behind or next to a M-RAP and getting sparks flying out of thin air as you hit 'the vehicle,'

When I said it felt like BF2 I was hoping it wouldn't have BF2's hitboxes :duh:

6. droyden

droyden New Member

OMG if you have an nvidia card upgrade your drivers to the latest beta ones - 331.40. Night and day for me, now clocked upto high and getting ~50fps with no stuttering.

edit: direct link:

http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/67409

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Well said sir! Completely agree

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Sorry it was for an hour
    But I still don't get your issue. Why would you not want this?

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Not saying this is his issue, but give players something and they can complain about it. Leave it out and they're ignorant.

Finally got a chance to play. Good fun so far. Love the detail and the size of the levels. However played a 32 player domination map that was too small to cope with so many players. Would have been a good 16 player map otherwise.

Will play more later. Any CPC/Bit tech teams going on?

10. fix-the-spade

It's very existence implies that progression will stretched out to the point that not using Battlepacks amounts to stunting your own play. It's weighted towards obsessive farming or paying cash upfront for a random unlock whilst normal play is discouraged.

EA have already ably demonstrated this with Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3, Dead Space 3 being particularly egregious as the best way to play the game is to exploit an infinite item glitch. Mass Effect 3 is all about corner camp Geth farming.

This is not a fun way to play videogames.

In F2P titles it's acceptable because you pay nothing upfront, there is the implicit agreement that the money has to come from somewhere.

BF4 isn't free, it's a retail game, why are the XP thresholds not simply 25% lower and all the items available through advancement (as in, playing the game)? It's the epitome of EA's nickel'n'dime approach, buy a retail game to buy the expansion subscription to be confronted with F2P mechanics. Everything may technically be available through normal play (as it technically is in Mass Effect 3) but if the threshold for reaching everything is absurdly high it's a moot point.

We'll see, if you can unlock 80% of the content within a hundred hours play without spending like you can in BF3 I'll eat my words. I expect though that the way Battlepacks are structured the only way to get all the sights for all the weapons will be to drop cash or play/farm for a thousand plus hours.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  11. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

I agree with F2P stuff being ******** in full price games, especially mainly SP games like Dead Space 3. I used cheat engine to max out my resources in that game, as playing with the guns was the only redeeming aspect of that thing.

BF4 seems really good so far. It feels totally different so I'm very much having to break old habits. One of the first and hardest lessons is that PDWs can under no circumstances stand off with a guy wielding an AR unless there's a huge skill gap. The MX4 just does totally crap damage and the spread is ridiculous if you try to full auto it, even in close range.

I'm loving the RPG! I got like 3 or 4 helicopter kills with it so far. It seems to travel a lot faster and it's easier to lead a shot against a heli. I enjoy having the ability to lock on with it as well if you have a recon using the laser.

Making the RPG a laser lock compatible launcher is actually a really good idea because recons and engineers can work together right out of the box with their default equipment. No longer do you have to go into public chat "hey guuuys I wanna use soflam, anyone using jav?" then you gotta find the 1 or 2 guys with the jav and coordinate with them if they are even paying attention.

Also, the portable soflam is a FANTASTIC addition. Recon might actually be useful again.

Built in resolution scaling is a really nice addition too. People with crazy setups can go nuts with huge super sampling visuals and players with weaker hardware can still use higher graphic settings and just scale back the internal res a bit to get a good framerate.

The map is better than anything from BF3 by a long shot. It's full of alternate paths and traversal options. One of cool things I pulled off was using the jet ski right at the start of the match to zoom over to the A point. I made a bee line for the tank that spawns in the parking garage and the enemy team capped the flag, thus spawning the tank, but left it there! I then stole the tank and showed up behind the enemies with their own vehicle :thumb:

Speaking of tanks, I like being able to still control the vehicles even when heavily damaged, though the ammo reload thing actually was a detriment to my enjoyment at one encounter where I had totally disabled an IFV but I had run out of ammo so I was only getting to put out a round like once every 10-15 seconds. I couldn't outdamage the engi that was reparing it at that point and it became a bit of a bum fight where we both just gave up and drove away lol.

12. droyden

droyden New Member

I have noticed the reloading seems to be slower?
    edit: maybe not, getting used to it now

Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Had massive amounts on of stutter when I tried it last night without using those drivers, and was maxing the game out but I was only hitting 60fps.

Put those drivers on and the stutter stopped and I was hitting over 100fps in most places.

I am not impressed with the game though, it doesn't look much better than BF3 and considering this is supposed to be a late almost Gold version of the game, the amount of bugs is just a massive joke.

The lag is also killing the game.

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

If that F2P stuff is encroaching on a title as expensive as Battlefield4, I think I'll pass this one. Shame.

15. suragh

suragh Derp

True. but why should my connection with Origin be throttled compared to when I download games without problems on steam?

100 K/bits is rubbish.

16. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Butter smooth on my 580. Also downloaded the game in 30 minutes with my BT fibre. Pre-game experience is all good.

But sniping is quite hard now, with no starting alternative weapons, you are forced to use the classic camping strategy.

Also not a fan of tank ammo reloading.

Is it me, or does it take a lot of RPG to take out a tank now, and there are no critical hit bonus from the back anymore?

meh gameplay. It's basically BF3.5.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

its not throttled though is it, its overloaded.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Do remember that this is beta. In BF3 beta you could throw med packs at a wall and it the wall would crumble.

It's got a fair way to go but it's all polish from now til launch.

The one thing I was really hoping for was for everything to be destructible, even the parts you can't reach, like the glass on buildings on the 50th story. Guess that didn't happen.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm loving the gunplay by the way! I don't know why but it feels much more solid than BF3 did. Maybe the hit detection is much improved?

20. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Just wondering if any of you are playing the game in Nvidia surround mode? I have terrible blurring of text in all of the menus. It looks as if it's trying to display in 3D mode or something (I don't use 3D) with an offset blue hint.
    If I hit Escape twice in the deploy screen everything looks perfectly normal, but as someone who dies a lot, it's annoying to drop back to the deploy screen and find it all out of focus: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 (apologies for the poor quality iPhone pics)

Once I am in the game (I'm running 5760x1080) it's great. I'm using the Beta drivers and it runs really smooth for me. Occasional lag but nothing to worry about.
    The one thing that does annoy me is the amount of times I get stuck when running over the demolished building. The ground looks clear as I am running, but I find I keep coming to a stop due to small bits of debris that I can't see and I have to jump to get past.

One other small gripe I have is that there is a never ending supply of armoured vehicles, it's hard to move around a corner without running into one.