1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Battlefield 4 Performance Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Nov 2013.

1. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

Nicely done but kind of pointless when you consider the only frame rate that matters with this game is multi player.

The single player campaign is an after thought, which many won't even bother with, I know I haven't even played the campaign in Bad Company 2 never mind BF 3 or 4.

People need to know what hardware is needed to play @1080p med/high/ultra detail with 64 players and get 50-60fps...anything else is irrelevant with a game like this.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think the point of this is that BF4 will be used as a GPU benchmark for the next year or two, and it's impossible to replicate multiplayer results accurately, so think of this as an introduction to the BF4 benchmark.

3. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

Which is why I think it's a pointless benchmark to use, when the results won't be applicable 99% of the time to the use it's being put to.

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Not the typical yadda, yadda, yadda GPU test ... thanks for posting those screen shots for comparison. very useful ....

5. Shirty

You're applying the wrong logic. It isn't possible to benchmark the multiplayer part of the game reliably and consistently, because there are too many variables.

Therefore the only way to produce consistent benchmarks is to use the single player part of the game. I appreciate that the results of these tests will not strictly ape the multiplayer results, but they actually provide better guidance than multiplayer because they are repeatable.

This feature is as much (if not more) about the cards as it is about the game. If a card performs well in SP, then the chances are higher that it will perform well in MP too.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1

I wouldn't take the raw numbers, as they aren't going to reflect multiplayer gaming very well.
    But it should be a good comparison between cards, so you can see how cards compare to each other, even if the raw data doesn't apply, it will be good for relative performance.

7. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

If it's anything like the last one, I'll pick it up if I have a sudden craving for "mash E to survive" cutscenes. With the occasional smattering of "oh no, mashing E won't cut it anymore, please mash the much more challenging F key" :lol:
    And I yours, sir! ;)

8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

My Little bro had some frame-rate issues due to poor Core utilisation with his PileDriver CPU (FX 8350).
    I think thats more of a Windows issue as there is a hotfix but the core parking only occurred on the larger maps which was quite interesting!

My 2pence

9. Saivert

Saivert Member

So Bit-tech's definition of playable framerates is 30 fps or more?
    I want 60fps or more. I just think it seems weird. okay for consoles maybe but not for PC gaming.

10. Shirty

30 consistent fps is actually smoother and more playable than 60+ fps with any degree of frame pacing variance. It's one of the reasons that up until very recently Crossfire was unpopular among enthusiasts - 120fps sounds impressive on paper but when it still feels juddery and inconsistent there is genuine cause for grievance.

Of course, higher fps is always desirable though ;)

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Well, at the end of the day it's up to you to decide what your idea of a playable frame rate is. You might think that a game is "unplayable" below 60fps, the next guy might insist on 120fps and I might think 25fps is acceptable. The point is that bit-tech have chosen to take a view based on their opinion of a playable rate, but if you disagree then the numbers are there for you to take your own view :)

12. Shirty

I think they based it on the fact that moving pictures have generally been shot/broadcast at 24-30fps for the past century and nobody's complained that they're too choppy :p

13. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

30 is fine for most games and all films. Driving games require 60fps though.

14. thogil

thogil New Member

Film as massive motion blur between frames, making it look smoother than a game at the same frame rate would. Even then, 24fps film does look awful and juddery, especially on camera pans.

15. Shirty

I was being slightly facetious, as evidenced by the :p

In reality, for most gamers an average fps or around 45 with a low of 25 is perfectly playable, some prefer to aim higher but that only helps in certain types of games if you're already really, really good.

16. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Currently own the GTX 690, getting tons of stutter after going through the latest update. Although I do get the reported numbers here, the worst will be low three digits straight to 30 and back. Just now when I played I'd play on high with 70 to 90 fps and it will drop to mid-40s. Still unplayable in my opinion. Doesn't really matter how high the fps is, as long as the numbers are constant and decent it will be playable.

Next year, I'll be buying a 2160p monitor... hopefully there will be a high end card that can play BF4/GTA V with a single card.

Tags: Add Tags