1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thank you Daver, your wows are much appreciated! :)

Ok, well I was going to post an update last night, but my server was down. But now it looks like it's up and running, so on with the update!

Got a bunch of work done on the pods over the course of last week, adding detail and basically
    hacking them up! :naughty: Essentially, what I wanted to do was continue the ribbing/armor motif,
    but I didn't want to just glue more styrene ribs over the pods. So I came up with the idea to cut out
    areas of the pods to give the impression of ribs running through them.

So I drew out my design,
    [​IMG]

...and cut it out.
    [​IMG]

Then I proceeded to add a styrene backing to the underside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once that was done, I started on those rows of ports seen here:
    [​IMG]

Since I didn't have any styrene tubes lying around, I figured a few pens would work just as well. Sorry Lowes!
    [​IMG]

Chopped it up,
    [​IMG]

Drilled the holes,
    [​IMG]

and glued them in. Here's a shot of the back side.
    [​IMG]

Used some glazing putty to fill in around the edges.
    [​IMG]

I was trying to figure out what I could use for the inner nozzle. After looking around in Michaels
    craft store, I found these wooden beads.
    [​IMG]

Had to sand them down a bit so they would fit into the pen tubes. I stuck them onto a nail and
    rotated them over the belt sander.
    [​IMG]

One more to go!
    [​IMG]

For the bigger pods, I had to find bigger pens. These are 7/16" dia. Drilled a pilot hole, then used
    the dremel to rout out the rest. A bigger drill bit would crack the plastic.
    [​IMG]

Pen #2 cut and glued in place.
    [​IMG]

Pen #3 bites the dust!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the pens were setting up, I drew out the rib sections on the larger pods.
    [​IMG]

And cut those out.
    [​IMG]

With the styrene backing in place.
    [​IMG]

After more sanding and filling around the ports, I got all four primed.
    [​IMG]

Now I can start lining out the armor pattern. I just did a quick sketch on one to show you what it will look like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't be doing these armor panels the same way as before. The pods' complex curves would make it too difficult to
    lay them down flat. I have a much easier method in mind, but I'm gonna leave that for next time. In the interim though, feel
    free to speculate how I will do it! :p

:cooldude:

Last edited: 3 Oct 2007
  2. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

JC, the attention to detail in this mod is insane. I really love all the time and effort you're putting into it and i hope you love it when it finished.

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

omg, f@$#in awesome :rock: that looks awesome already, those pods looked really, really cool before, but i can now see that they are gonna look really f'in hot!
    The detail on this case is really starting to pwn... call me a freak but i'd be happy to see that detail everywhere, inside & out, i'm talking even engraved into the dvd tray & even engraved on the heatsinks & waterblocks :blush: i don't think it would be too much :D

edit: don't buy any hardware, at all - once the case is done, or thereabouts, there should be plenty of sponsorship offers at your disposal :cooldude:

Last edited: 2 Oct 2007
  4. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

dang, your work on the pods is amazing. This whole mod is. :thumb:

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

*low whistle* jesus christ, mod of the year contender right here, you've really stepped up the detail thing a nothc here, most people would have just ignored the ports, or made little mounds of bondo just make it look like they are kinda there, this is absolutely insane. I'm going to contact sci-fi and let tell them to have a look at this :)

6. Boddaker

Wow, thanks MG! But I thought only the winners of the mod of the month were eligible for mod of the year. That would be quite the honor just to be considered!

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

You'd deserve if ya landed it, just based on your commitment to the work alone. Great job!

8. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Terrifying eye for detail! It's like when you see a detail and the details inside the detail itself, thus turning it into a (hopefully not) neverending spiral of details into details into details.... meaning that you'll never finish that case ;)
    But I love the details, and the details inside the details, so you just go on modding, and we go on aaah'ing and oooh'ing and gasping at your prowess and progress. Definately one of the year's best mods!

/Frido

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

and yes, definitely worthy of moty, but i dunno if it will be finished for this year's moty? do projects have tobe finished to win moty? Seriously awesome stuff happening here :thumb: i also have no idea why the project hasn't won a motm award yet? wtf :confused: don't worry bod, nov or dec motm 4 sure :rock:

10. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I'm pretty sure that MOTY is open to any case worthy of it completed in the year. If this isn't completed by the end of the year then it would be eligible for MOTY '08 instead of '07. But not to stress - I'm sure that this will get picked up for a MOTM competition before long anyway.

As a massive fan of the show I think you're certainly doing it justice. If things continue the way they are I'd say this will be up there with (an could concievably surpass) Piloux's Blackmessa II as far as themed mod's go.

11. Boddaker

lol thx mvagusta! :D

Well, I hope to have it finished soon. And I already was in the running for last months' motm, so not sure I can be nominated twice. Or can I? lol

Is there a motm/moty guideline thread somewhere that states how they pick mods?

12. dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie What's a Dremel?

Awesome mod...that was/is one of my all-time favorite shows...nice to see some BG mods....

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

MOTM seems to be based on projects in progress - thus making the judging so much harder and less representative of the final result. MOTY is based on completed projects. I'd say this project (once completed) deserves a shot at MOTY.

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Bod, just had an idea for lighting those pods, rather than LED's, which could be too intense and difficult to postition whilst maintaining the exhaust port fucntion, how about neon string?

15. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Wonderful as before said, wonderful mod, today I just borrowed the whole Season Two on DVD and indtend to watch it as quick as possible, as it maybe will help me giving Bod some serious ideas, I'm sure he's got loads of ideas, but more doesn't hurt, does it? ;)

(Hope it's OK Bod :) )

/Frido

16. Boddaker

You know, I actually have some of that stuff and was going to try it out. Maybe run it around the inside edge hidden behind the end cap.

Knock yourself out! :D

17. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Da** that is intricate work, you've got my vote for motm.

18. Boddaker

lol where were you last month when I needed you? :hehe:

No worries, man. Thanks for the props! :)

19. ARTbyTROY

ARTbyTROY Mod it Til it Bleeds!

Maximum respect. The detail level of this mod is insane.

I have 2 cents on the glo-wire... it isn't all that bright when compared to LED or CCFL lighting, if you are looking for something that shows up in daylight forget it... if you are shooting for subtle lighting it would probably work.

20. Boddaker

Good point. If it's not that bright, it wouldn't be too suitable for recreating the glow of battlestar class main engines at full power!

Tags: